+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: US Gun Laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Awaiting details on the Indiana shooting. The words "food court" trigger associations.

I don't mind being compared to the West when it comes to homicide rates (we don't give a hoot about shifty terms like "firearm violence"). But understand: We are a Western nation; however embedded within us are pockets of an urban sub-culture with homicide rates more typical of Central America. That urban sub-culture is a fraction of our population but accounts for at least 1/2 of our homicides. The sub-culture is black, and to a lesser extent Hispanic. Whites and Asians are scarcely involved at all. Supersized crime rates are just one symptom of decay in the sub-culture. Another is the collapse of families. 90% of black babies in Chicago are born into households without a father present.

If you take away that 1/2 of our murders, the rest of the America has homicide rates typical of the West. Since you lived in the US, BT you know this: Most Americans find it easy to avoid that urban sub-culture. By taking simple steps, we can opt out of most of the associated risks. We can optimize our lives so that we face the Western risk levels, not Central American ones. We do this by self-segregating in our living arrangements and daily routines. Americans of all races and classes are highly attuned to the signs of high-risk sub-cultures. We avoid them and gravitate toward the signs of order.
    Robus, over the years on social media and on this forum I can honestly say the only time I have ever been scared for my life was in a hotel in the LAX area.

Most of my time was spent in Northern California, Baltimore and Spokane in Washington State and quite honestly I loved it. Would I go back?

Not on your life, I don't think another Civil War is far away from breaking out in the US. When there are more guns than people, it's time to start worrying and stay away I reckon.

That feeling you got in the motel near LAX was your amigdala giving you a tap on the shoulder. That's what I'm talking about. We learn to trust that feeling and keep away from environments that trigger it.

I don't disagree about the possibility of Civil War in the US. However, you are importing it yourselves at the rate of 1.2 million per year. You can't see it now. In five years, you will have changed your mind.

BASED in Swindon:

https://youtu.be/uCharr5JZRM

"Ten people have been killed and 15 wounded after a series of stabbings in two communities in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan."

No guns involved, but I'll guarantee you drugs were.

These were Amerindian communities by the look of it. One of the two villages was called John Smith Cree Nation.

No shortage of opioids, booze, crack, meth, and weed. In the US, alcoholism among Native Americans runs 6x the general population rate, with 60-80% lifetime prevalence of alcohol abuse. The usual symptoms of social pathology like domestic violence are off the charts. I've heard there is a "hidden epidemic" of girls gone missing.

All that said, this stuff happens everywhere and always has done. It's just the global reporting that has changed.

You nick their lands, shove 'em on a Reservation and hope for a "Mary Poppins" outcome.

I don't think so mate.

Not guilty. The statue of limitations on they-done-us-wrong expired long ago. Native Americans have all the rights of American citizens. They can live anywhere they please. Those who belong to sovereign tribes have additional rights beyond. Welfare dependency keeps some tied to rural reservations in areas where there are no jobs. Better situated tribes have turned into gambling enterprises. High rates of alcoholism, obesity, diabetes, etc. are partly genetic, partly cultural.

The best thing would be to tear up all the treaties, derecognize the sovereign tribes, dissolve the reservations, and let the Native Americans carry on as any other Americans do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Not guilty. The statue of limitations on they-done-us-wrong expired long ago. Native Americans have all the rights of American citizens. They can live anywhere they please. Those who belong to sovereign tribes have additional rights beyond. Welfare dependency keeps some tied to rural reservations in areas where there are no jobs. Better situated tribes have turned into gambling enterprises. High rates of alcoholism, obesity, diabetes, etc. are partly genetic, partly cultural.

The best thing would be to tear up all the treaties, derecognize the sovereign tribes, dissolve the reservations, and let the Native Americans carry on as any other Americans do.
    I was having a look at this issue Robus what a can of worms!

I discovered there are 326 federally recognized reservations in the in the United States, a sum which somewhat took me by surprise.

It is indeed. The larger indian tribes are powerful entities with fortunes built on gambling. How much trickles down to the rank and file is another question.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)