+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ban on u12s heading the ball.

Ban on u12s heading the ball.

Is it necessary or are we just getting softer?

I wore "hard contacts" in my youth days. that was the only thing available (I'm old) and was very nearsighted. I learned quickly that heading a ball coming with some pace resulted in them popping out. I'm 62 now and never really fully developed my heading skills even though had the lasik surgery. I'm also 6'2.

what I did learn was how to get the ball in the net with other skills.

Not sure it's a bad thing for U-12's. they will compensate in other areas and it does prevent some wear and tear on the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    I wore "hard contacts" in my youth days. that was the only thing available (I'm old) and was very nearsighted. I learned quickly that heading a ball coming with some pace resulted in them popping out. I'm 62 now and never really fully developed my heading skills even though had the lasik surgery. I'm also 6'2.

Not sure it's a bad thing for U-12's. they will compensate in other areas and it does prevent some wear and tear on the brain.
    Probably a good thing given how undeveloped some kids of that age will be not least with neck muscles etc.

The authorities will be worried about future litigation and the impression on parents. football or soccer is hugely popular amongst kids and especially girls in the US too so I wonder if that is affecting thinking/policy

There is a lot of data being collated around micro concussions and the effect of those on long term brain health. For example, in rugby some gum shields are fitted with tests for the chemicals produced in concussions so that they can be analysed post game.

If you look at other sports rugby doesn’t allow contact and proper tackling until 11 and then slowly brings in some of the other contact areas.

I wonder if part of this too is that we thankfully all live on average a lot longer and thus injuries to the brain will start to develop and show for longer periods of lives going forward?

hopey,

think that last sentence is spot on. Our grandparents lived to their 60's or maybe 70. 80 is not that unusual anymore. Don't want to end up with a drool bucket and diapers the last years. That's really only suited for politicians.

To master a skill like heading the ball, you must practice tens of thousands of times. If there's damage done, it's going to add up.

Here's a thought experiment. Suppose heading had never been part of football. No rules against it, just never caught on. Would heading emerge through competitive advantage? That is, might a team that developed a heading game have a consistent advantage that would force other teams to follow suit?

Be a pity to see it disappear, but I guess the very idea of heading a ball is a bit, well, mental if you (pardon the extra pun) think about it.

I finally stopped playing “competitively” (at least against kids much younger than I am) in 11-a-side a couple of seasons back after two separate dizzy/concussion events were enough for me to need to get my brain and general circulation checked out at the hospital. My peripheral vision on my left hand side also isn’t great (I had the equivalent of a stroke in that optic nerve), so I always did try to control and get rid before being clattered without seeing it coming. Not always successfully, particularly in the air!

Heading was definitely a big part of my game (I used to love corners in particular), but it’s hard to disagree with those who think that heading a professional pressure ball coming down from out of the clouds is good for your health.

Tricky.

Tricky indeed.

Was fairly decent in the air If I needed to be but played mainly on the ground. I remember as a kid playing at about 14 or 15 in mens football and it was noticeable how much harder they hit the ball when you had to head it - especially out of defence.

Could practice with soft or foam balls I guess.

Pro rugby teams in England are looking to massively reduce actual contact sessions in training for similar reasons.

Just goes to show how fragile we really are I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post

6'2" = short arse in my family

Son is 6'5 and shoulders like a linebacker or rugby scrummer. He's a solid chunk of muscle.

I was built like classic Center Forward but never really good in the air. Truth be told I often set up for mopping up balls bouncing around in the box after the initial kick than first contact on the ball heading wise.

Bad Retinas, a couple of concussions and sore necks from high velocity headers made it easy to find a way to avoid heading the ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)