+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matty Palmer player of season

I think Palmer has got a gratitude vote in being a CM fans can trust and agree on - then it's become a trend and conventional wisdom.

I think he's better than Reeves but not a whole lot better - but Reeves is a FL midfielder and Palmer plays in the semi-pro NL, there's no getting away from that.

Was it Reeves and Doyle that got us as far as the Semis last year? I don't think so, it was more about Ruben taking the season by the scruff of the neck when we sinking further and further down into mid-table.

Palmer for Reeves is maybe the most significant first-team change this season. What difference did it make. Better than 5th? Did we reach the semis? Didn't the rest of the team prove they could get there anyway? That's not a whole lot of impact, not a 'Player of the season's' worth

Nobody will change my mind that a nigh on 40 goal involvement beats just a handful and being steady in CM. Did he run the show? Show outstanding leadership? Drive us to greater heights? No on all counts, it's a 'follow the crowd' pick for the reasons suggested above. Or maybe we just don't like flashy stuff like goals, assists, skill, creativity, providing the game highlights virtually every time. Maybe next season we can watch a lot of down-to earth 0-0 draws, noble 0-1 defeats and everyone will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Was it Reeves and Doyle that got us as far as the Semis last year? I don't think so, it was more about Ruben taking the season by the scruff of the neck when we sinking further and further down into mid-table.
    You make it sound like a one-man team! Ruben has played more games this season, so why why did we not improve?

If the subject was 'Most talented Notts player' then I would give it to Ruben with Cal second. The problem is that neither used that talent on a consistent enough basis, and in my opinion both had too many poor to average games to be a contender for the thread title.

I think Palmer has got a gratitude vote in being a CM fans can trust and agree on - then it's become a trend and conventional wisdom.

I think he's better than Reeves but not a whole lot better - but Reeves is a FL midfielder and Palmer plays in the semi-pro NL, there's no getting away from that.

Palmer for Reeves is maybe the most significant first-team change this season. What difference did it make. Better than 5th? Did we reach the semis? Didn't the rest of the team prove they could get there anyway? That's not a whole lot of impact, not a 'Player of the season's' worth

Nobody will change my mind that a nigh on 40 goal involvement beats just a handful and being steady in CM. Did he run the show? Show outstanding leadership? Drive us to greater heights? No on all counts, it's a 'follow the crowd' pick for the reasons suggested above. Or maybe we just don't like flashy stuff like goals, assists, skill, creativity, providing the game highlights virtually every time. Maybe next season we can watch a lot of down-to earth 0-0 draws, noble 0-1 defeats and everyone will be happy.
    You can't lay the blame for Notts finishing worse off this year than last to the midfield alone
    It's had its frailties but this is down to the partners of Palmer and others around him. Comparing Palmer and Reeves is unfair as they played in Different teams playing different styles. And more often than not Palmer has to do 2 man's work
    Rodriguez is a great player, gathers the ball fantastically turning away from his marker. No doubt a great talent. But he can go missing for long periods in games and some times overplays.
    If you like the flare players that catch your eye because they do something special occasionally then that's fair enough
    Personally i look for a player who performs to at least a 7.5 every game, breaks up attacks, plugs gaps, works tirelessly, plays a simple pass but can also cut defenses in half with killer passes. Delivers outstanding dead ball crosses
    Each to their own but seems the majority agree

I saw plenty of 6/10s from Palmer myself. Lots of 7s and no 5s, that's great - but I value game-changing moments a lot more.
    I don't think fans noticed when Palmer was ordinary or worse, they'd just decided he was doing well without looking at the real impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    Each to their own but seems the majority agree
    Yeah sure, but I know the majority is dead wrong in this case - conventional wisdom, copy cat thinking.
    I hope we enjoy the gap plugging, the simple passes when the creativity, and actual impact measurable in goals, is long since gone.

I saw plenty of 6/10s from Palmer myself. Lots of 7s and no 5s, that's great - but I value game-changing moments a lot more.
    I don't think fans noticed when Palmer was ordinary or worse, they'd just decided he was doing well without looking at the real impact.
    I saw some great skills and game-changing moments from Ruben, but I also saw some 5/10 performances where he continually took the wrong options and struggled to get into the game.

Please don't take this as an anti-Ruben post because I really like him and would be delighted if he was still here next season. Unlike you, I value overall contribution more than game-changing moments, that's why Palmer was my choice.

Now where has my flock gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I value overall contribution more than game-changing moments, that's why Palmer was my choice.
    Now where has my flock gone?
    'Overall contribution' is not so easy to define as you think - overall contribution to what? Putting the ball in the actual onion bag and assisting many others do do likewise, at a rate about 8 times greater than the other, pays a pretty hefty tribute to 'overall contribution' in my book.

And you can't see your flock cos you right in the middle of it, can't see the wool for the sheep

Yeah sure, but I know the majority is dead wrong in this case - conventional wisdom, copy cat thinking.
    I hope we enjoy the gap plugging, the simple passes when the creativity, and actual impact measurable in goals, is long since gone.
    So because the majority agree then it's a case that people lose the ability to make a decision based on what they see just because it's different to yours?
    Just because their opinion is different to yours doesn't mean their dead wrong, it means they look for something different in a player. Palmers consistency is a double edged sword.
    Because he performs every game to a high standard, it's expected every game.

Without all the gap plugging and simple passes and breaking up play then Notts would concede many more goals than they already do. So what good would Rubens talents be when we're 3 or 4 goals down?
    The players must be dead wrong as well because they also voted for him as their player of the year too.

As I see it, it's beyond debate and just preposterous. I said my bit and will leave it there.
    We'll just have to 'agree to disagree'

'Overall contribution' is not so easy to define as you think.
    Well, I think it's dead easy. To me it's simply who has done most to influence games and earn us points.

And you can't see your flock cos you right in the middle of it, can't see the wool for the sheep.
    If I wasn't such a nice polite person, I would tell you where to stick your crook.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast