+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matty Palmer player of season

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I think Palmer has got a gratitude vote in being a CM fans can trust and agree on - then it's become a trend and conventional wisdom.

I think he's better than Reeves but not a whole lot better - but Reeves is a FL midfielder and Palmer plays in the semi-pro NL, there's no getting away from that.

Was it Reeves and Doyle that got us as far as the Semis last year? I don't think so, it was more about Ruben taking the season by the scruff of the neck when we sinking further and further down into mid-table.

Palmer for Reeves is maybe the most significant first-team change this season. What difference did it make. Better than 5th? Did we reach the semis? Didn't the rest of the team prove they could get there anyway? That's not a whole lot of impact, not a 'Player of the season's' worth

Nobody will change my mind that a nigh on 40 goal involvement beats just a handful and being steady in CM. Did he run the show? Show outstanding leadership? Drive us to greater heights? No on all counts, it's a 'follow the crowd' pick for the reasons suggested above. Or maybe we just don't like flashy stuff like goals, assists, skill, creativity, providing the game highlights virtually every time. Maybe next season we can watch a lot of down-to earth 0-0 draws, noble 0-1 defeats and everyone will be happy.
    And we have a late contender for most ridiculous post of the season!

Fair enough, everyone’s entitled to an opinion….but that post is surely a wind up?

Palmer is/was wayyyyy better than Reeves. Far more consistent a performer, almost not comparable. Almost.

Saying that it's lazy and easy with that "flair player" comments. Of course Ruben could overplay at times, try to do too much etc same applies to Roberts, same applies to Enzio, same applies to most talented flair players up and down the league's. The difference with Rodriques is he has more work ethic than the other two mentioned, did more off the ball than the other two. He also shows great strength and maintains possession when many similar players don't or can't.

Then add on 19 goals (I'm told hardest thing to do in football is score), then add on all the direct assists he had. Plus on so many match highlights when Notts score he's involved in the build up play and starts it off in midfield. If not he's assisting or scoring.

He's Top 3 this season without a doubt. Wootton got stick for a pretty long drought, and not scoring away from home when we needed him. The same can't be said about Rubes. We are talking he's directly involved in 30 Notts goals this season. That is simply sensational.

I'm amazed not took some on here so long to see it, or hear/read about it

Yes you need the 7/10 players , who never drop below 6 never above 8. But you definitely need the 8 or 9 out of 10 players who win you the game. Even if the odd 5 or 6 is thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    it's simply who has done most to influence games and earn us points.
    Ah, glad you came around to the Ruben camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wasn't such a nice polite person, I would tell you where to stick your crook.
    Sticking Russell King anywhere is quite a challenge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234