+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 LastLast

Thread: 📝 New Manager [Luke Williams Appointed]

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Typical not so sly dig by BFP. There has obviously been a lot said behind the scenes at the club, and necessarily so, as this could have been very damaging.
    I do not boo any sporting team I follow, and think the way to react when your team is not performing as you desire, is to show encouragement, as in 'support'.
    Hopefully LW's words will not make fans think they can boo more frequently and get an immediate reaction every time. Let's hope we never hear any more boos, home or away this season.
    Good to hear LW back to his straight talking self again.
    I didn’t really have you in mind tbh, but if the cap fits..

I think it should be emphasised that the booing wasn’t just down to the general poor display, more the infernal poncing around with it at the back that was constantly breaking down and nearly giving them goals.

It’s possible people are reaching the end of their tether with those sort of tactics.

I can only think of one occasion where our infernal poncing around at the back, nearly gave them a goal, (Baldwin at the Lane End). I stand to be corrected.
    Personally I would take the possession based approach over a fifty fifty at best, punt up the field, which the defender always has the upper hand.
    Our losing possession, when playing the patient build up style, is incredibly low, given the standard of football we are playing in.

I can only think of one occasion where our infernal poncing around at the back, nearly gave them a goal, (Baldwin at the Lane End). I stand to be corrected.
    Personally I would take the possession based approach over a fifty fifty at best, punt up the field, which the defender always has the upper hand.
    Our losing possession, when playing the patient build up style, is incredibly low, given the standard of football we are playing in.
    There's a difference between "possession-based approach" and actually trying to make progress with the ball, though. What's frustrating is the possession-based approach that is solely about retaining possession by going sideways or backwards without trying to make something happen. It becomes sterile and the default approach, unless someone is willing to try something more adventurous.

The frustrations at the Chesterfield game were also compounded by some needless pratting around at the back (technical term) that gave Maidenhead a few half-chances in the first home game. It's high risk (see Rangers' winning goal last night after some calamitous PSV defending) and there's got to be a better middle ground at this level.

The most obvious thing is to mix things up so the opposition aren't automatically knowing that you are always going to play out from the back and they're kept guessing during the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    I didn’t really have you in mind tbh, but if the cap fits..

I think it should be emphasised that the booing wasn’t just down to the general poor display, more the infernal poncing around with it at the back that was constantly breaking down and nearly giving them goals.

It’s possible people are reaching the end of their tether with those sort of tactics.
    Especially when your team is a goal or 2 down. Then the over poncing around at the back really begins to bite!!!

I think to be fair to the players at the back who might seem to be just keeping possession, maybe more work needs to be done with the midfield or strikers to make a pass is available quicker. I am sure they do not prat about with it for the sake of it.
    I think it shows great resolve from the players to keep playing with control, when it would be easier to panic and play hoofball. How often do you hear coaches complaining their players lost the plot after going a goal or two down. LW has shown the ability to change things up if and when necessary.
    I do understand fans do have differing levels of patience, but hopefully now this booing issue has been channelled positively going forward.

I think it shows great resolve from the players to keep playing with control, when it would be easier to panic and play hoofball.
    Not aimed at you 1959 because I know it's not what you were saying, but it does give me the opportunity to address a common misconception on here. That misconception is that anyone who dislikes tippy-tappy in our own half has to be an advocate of hoofball. It's not an 'either or' thing, there is a middle ground. In pre-season against Leicester and Forest we played a possession style game but also moved it quickly through the thirds and looked dangerous. I'd like to see more of that.

The bloke who is regularly criticised for playing hoofball on here is Steve Thompson. That was without doubt his style, but it was the only option with the players he cobbled together at the last minute. It wasn't for the purist, but it was effective. Midfield was bypassed, the tactic was to hit it long to Jason Lee and feed off his layoffs. At least it led to goalmouth action at both ends. The most mind-numbingly boring football I've ever witnessed was the 'passing style' from his replacement Ian McParland. Basically, that consisted of playing it repeatedly across the back four before hoofing it forward. It gave the opposition so long to get organised that it was quite common for us to go an entire half without an attempt on goal.

And that’s it in a nutshell. It’s not hoofball versus tippy tappy. It’s being effective with the style you use, and if it isn’t working adapting it a little.

I wonder if the football we played against Leicester and Florist was possible because they were pre season games, and because of the style they played. I would love us to play the way we did against those two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    There's a difference between "possession-based approach" and actually trying to make progress with the ball, though. What's frustrating is the possession-based approach that is solely about retaining possession by going sideways or backwards without trying to make something happen. It becomes sterile and the default approach, unless someone is willing to try something more adventurous.
    It's bleddy boring to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    It's bleddy boring to watch.
    True and it does nothing for your heart rate when you see an attacker charging at our keeper who just manages to clear it.😨

Page 80 of 82 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 LastLast