+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Burchnall parting message

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    Absolutely. He had a win ratio of 51%, better than Sirrel. Apart from Cotteril you have to go back decades to find a better %. Furthermore, I cannot recall a home game I have not been entertained when he has been in charge, unlike with his his predecessor where I was losing the will to live.
    I can, the last one against Grimsby, which in they have scored three goals
    in there 2 1 wins ofer us where the ball was won from a free kick at the back post unchallenged and scrambled in, once is careless but 3 times !

Tbh sinophile it's only a handful of people at most on here, nah bother.

I still would like confirmation as to whether Warnock Legends really meant IB should have been sacked in April, with a month to go of the season whilst sat in the playoffs? It may have been a typo, but tbh I hope it wasn't because that would be an absolute doozy

As I mentioned on another thread I don't really understand why anyone would be delighted (or devastated) with his exit. He's not been good enough to be gutted and he's not finished mid table or been any worse than the previous manager at this level for Notts. But I will take what I can get and just be glad nobody as labelled him "worst Notts manager ever"!

Quote Originally Posted by sinophile View Post
    I'm sorry you don't like the win% stat. Of courser, Sirrel is an absolute legend and we will never know if IB would have gone on to achieve as many promotions. The point is, people are doing a total disservice to IB, and I don't think that is right.
    100% agree with this. And of course no one is comparing IB to a true legend like Sir Jimmy. Yes, there were plenty of gimmes this season, but we also deservedly beat each of the top three - taking four points off two of them, in fact.

We have definitely underperformed this season by finishing 5th, but there's a reason we were not favourites to get promoted. I'd have been satisfied with third this season give the budgets of Stockport, Wrexham and Chesterfield, and it's annoying that we fell short. But we were a couple of players short in our recruitment, and that told in the big moments against the better teams. Is that IB's fault? Not in this system.

I wish him all the best. He's got a fantastic opportunity at a L1 club and I think he's done enough in his time at Notts, producing arguably our best football in years (based on the games I've seen and highlights), to deserve that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Stats eh? I don't think Sirrel had many games against the likes of Dover, Wealdstone, King's Lynn etc.
    Doesn't really matter does it? You're in the division you are in with players to match that level

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Tbh sinophile it's only a handful of people at most on here, nah bother.
    So do you think the win percentage comparison between Ian Burchnall in level 5 and Jimmy Sirrel in levels 1-4 is a valid one, or do you think it takes cherry picking and straw clutching to new levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton_Pie View Post
    Doesn't really matter does it? You're in the division you are in with players to match that level
    Of course it matters. We have a massive advantage over most clubs in this league with our squad, just like we were at a massive disadvantage when we competed against the squad strength of Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal etc at the top level.

A 51% win ratio is to be expected in the National League, nobody expected that in Division One.

So do you think the win percentage comparison between Ian Burchnall in level 5 and Jimmy Sirrel in levels 1-4 is a valid one, or do you think it takes cherry picking and straw clutching to new levels?
    No of course not it is complete madness to compare the two. You can only directly compare his win percentage to Ardley IMO. How does he compare to NA in terms of win % in the same league?

Do you think Neal Ardley was the worst Notts manager ever? And do you class a 5th placed finish as mid-table? The former sounds very much like #agenda to me, and the latter sounds completely nuts!!! What do you think about those to statements?

Do you think Neal Ardley was the worst Notts manager ever?
    No.

And do you class a 5th placed finish as mid-table?
    In a literal sense obviously not, but in a Notts sense definitely yes. By that I mean that I've just highlighted how weak this division has been at the bottom end, there's no way on earth we should be finishing below half the clubs in this league. On that basis 5th is pretty much mid-table. An average season at best.

... does anyone else wonder if the Bros' were ready to use the knife on IB? Their statement on the official site states that the research they carry out also covers potential coaches and managers, as well as players. Perhaps the Yoghurt Knitters have saved them a few £££'s ...

No.

In a literal sense obviously not, but in a Notts sense definitely yes. By that I mean that I've just highlighted how weak this division has been at the bottom end, there's no way on earth we should be finishing below half the clubs in this league. On that basis 5th is pretty much mid-table. An average season at best.
    So in a Notts sense 5th is mid-table, what would 8th been? Just above the relegation places? Or relegation?

That is one of the weirdest takes I've ever read on here.

Thank you

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast