+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hungary/Germany v England

Hungary/Germany v England

Just what was the point.
    It was interesting to hear the reaction of thousands of Hungarian and maybe some English kids to the taking of the knee. Must have been the shortest taking the knee ever.
    As for the game, which was in a supposed competitive competition, why play the second string. If you thought our defence was poor lol, that lot were embarrisingly so.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 07-06-2022 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Title reflecting both recent England games

This photo was taken at the previous meeting of Hungary v England. How ridiculous does Kane look here in that posture juxtaposed against a black player standing and seemingly pointing at the banner in the stand. If one image captures the essence of football in the 2020s so far it has to be this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    This photo was taken at the previous meeting of Hungary v England. How ridiculous does Kane look here in that posture juxtaposed against a black player standing and seemingly pointing at the banner in the stand. If one image captures the essence of football in the 2020s so far it has to be this for me.

I think he might be pointing to the 'RESPECT' tag on his shirt sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    As for the game, which was in a supposed competitive competition, why play the second string. If you thought our defence was poor lol, that lot were embarrisingly so.
    Second string or not, England were diabolical. Passionless, predictable, passing the ball without any purpose or any particular accuracy, and almost totally unwilling to go one-on-one against supposedly inferior opponents and beat them. Jarrod Bowen was one of the few who looked like he was trying to inject some energy and creativity into proceedings. I like him as a player, but to be honest he only caught the eye (slightly) because of the dross that was around him.

Hungary are a limited side in terms of talent but they are improving. They showed far more pride, desire and ambition than their over-hyped opponents. And yes, it was a penalty, even though you often see fouls like that in the box not given. The ball went in one direction while Reece James seemed more preoccupied with sticking his elbow in his opponent's neck to force him the opposite direction, making no attempt to follow the ball or shield it. VAR couldn't reverse the decision because it clearly wasn't an obvious error, just a case of this referee applying the law properly where others sometimes don't.

As for our supposed leader, Harry Kane, his performances for club and country appear to be getting ever more sporadic and he seems to be increasingly living on his reputation, rather than his current form warranting his 'star' status. I wonder if we've already seen his best days and whether he's one of those players whose decline starts early, a bit like Fernando Torres a few years ago. I reckon Manchester City might look back and think they've played a blinder by deciding not to pay the huge premium to get Kane and going for Erling Haaland instead. I know which player I'd prefer to sign right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Just what was the point.
    It was interesting to hear the reaction of thousands of Hungarian and maybe some English kids to the taking of the knee. Must have been the shortest taking the knee ever.
    So the Hungarians, who were supposedly playing behind closed doors *because of racism* booed taking the knee?

Yes BFP that is correct

The FA should have chosen not to renew Southgate's deal after the euros. Yes we've reached a semi final and a final in the last 4 years but we've been incredibly lucky to get to both of them and bottled it on both occasions because Southgate decides to put everyone behind the ball every game no matter opposition or occasion.

Just look at yesterday's lineup, why on earth do we need seven defensive players on the pitch against a bang average Hungary side who we are expected to beat comfortably? I genuinely don't understand it.

And don't even get me started on Alexander-Arnold. There are millions of people in this country who would give an arm and a leg to play for England just once, yet that n*b just mopes around the pitch like he's waiting for the dentist, he's a disgrace.

We're more likely to go out at the group stages at this point rather than reach the senis which should be the absolute minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    We're more likely to go out at the group stages at this point rather than reach the senis which should be the absolute minimum.
    Southgate's luck with draws never seems to run out. Probably the worst USA side in many decades plus Iran and either Ukraine or Wales, then most likely Senegal in the last 16, assuming England win the group.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Southgate's luck with draws never seems to run out. Probably the worst USA side in many decades plus Iran and either Ukraine or Wales, then most likely Senegal in the last 16, assuming England win the group.
    I mean based on world rankings I think we actually have the most difficult group, and no matter how poor the teams in there are, we'll find some new and inventive way to make things difficult for ourselves.

Like Notts just on an international scale.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    I mean based on world rankings I think we actually have the most difficult group, and no matter how poor the teams in there are, we'll find some new and inventive way to make things difficult for ourselves.

Like Notts just on an international scale.
    To be fair, Iran were a lot of fun to watch in the last World Cup and were unlucky not to pick up more points in a group containing both Portugal and Spain. They probably are capable of holding England to a draw if they are as good as they were 4 years ago. Looking forward to the Iran v USA grudge match.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast