+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: O/T:- Liverpool fans at it again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61686639

UEFA apologise to Liverpool and Real Madrid fans. I hope everyone, including the op, who jumped the gun on this realise it’s maybe worth waiting to see the facts of a situation before treating the world to the benefit of your opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61686639

UEFA apologise to Liverpool and Real Madrid fans. I hope everyone, including the op, who jumped the gun on this realise it’s maybe worth waiting to see the facts of a situation before treating the world to the benefit of your opinion on it.
    I did say that I hoped the reports were premature as it seems they were. After standard practice of the police shifting the blame it now is coming back to bite them, exacerbated it seems by criminal gangs working within the crowd. If you'd also read my other posts you'll read my quoting a ticket given by Robertson, therefore genuine, was turned away as being a forgery.

There needs to be better ways of handling large crowds in highly charged scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I did say that I hoped the reports were premature as it seems they were. After standard practice of the police shifting the blame it now is coming back to bite them, exacerbated it seems by criminal gangs working within the crowd. If you'd also read my other posts you'll read my quoting a ticket given by Robertson, therefore genuine, was turned away as being a forgery.

There needs to be better ways of handling large crowds in highly charged scenarios.
    For me there is no excuse with the handling of this, UEFA needs to take complete responsibility. Choosing France for any major footballing event was always a ludicrous decision. Throughout the past season they have had countless issues with crowd trouble, culminating in real bad scenes when St Ettiene were relegated at the weekend.
    Don’t get me wrong, we have our issues in this country, however, they have largely been at the back end of the season with pitch invasions taking centre stage.
    I am not surprised opinions that were completely unfounded were made. It’s like a match day thread when we go one down and some folks heads start wobbling, before we come back. Instead of waiting until the result is definitive before going mental.

It is very sad and unfortunate that this thread carries the title it does. Some of the posts I find very disappointing, but am pleased to note that the consensus now is the very opposite of the heading. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I do hope and believe that the outcome will fully vindicate the Liverpool supporters, and most certainly hold the French authorities to account.

And all of this a matter of weeks after some people were talking about the need for riot police in English grounds following the late season pitch invasions. You'd expect things to calm down again for the start of the new season, but if not, this incident in Paris might serve as a reminder that a heavy police presence can make a bad situation worse. If we are now entering another problematic phase of crowd control in football. there's no obvious solution.

Did the media report any incidents on the Real Madrid side of the stadium, can't have been just the Pool fans the police we're tear gassing

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Did the media report any incidents on the Real Madrid side of the stadium, can't have been just the Pool fans the police we're tear gassing
    Yes, Real have also complained about violence directed at their fans by Police and criminal gangs and thus has widely been reported. This is why we now have the response we have from the football authorities. Liverpool fans at it again indeed - supporting their team in huge numbers and falling foul of event organiser incompetence.

Whichever team became the most successful during the height of hooliganism was always going to be the most likely to get caught up in the inevitable tragedies that duly occurred. We were never going to get something on the scale of Heysel or Hillsborogh at a League Cup 1st Round 1st Leg tie.

Liverpool became victims of their own success and, over 30 years later they are still unable to shake that unfortunate reputation off.

It gets worse when you look at the post-match scenes here and see what fans of both clubs had to endure:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61685718

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456