+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where else needs strengthening?

Where else needs strengthening?

So with our first two summer signings through the door, I was wondering how many more players we need and what positions need strengthening before August 6th?

Working on the assumption that Wootton is going but both Chicksen and Brooks stay, I think we still need:

A goalkeeper, acting as competition for Solcombe, with Brooks almost certainly going out on loan again if he re-signs

A centre back to replace Lacey, but someone much more aggressive than him

A right wingback to act as competition with TAR

At least one, potentially two, 'ball-breakers' in midfield to finally address the issue we've had since Yates left in 2018

With the fact I'd probably let Mitchell leave on loan, and working under the assumption the Langstaff is going to be playing out wide, I'd also say we need two strikers, both with the ability to hold the ball up when necessary (I certainly wouldn't mind Danny Wright as one of these now he's rejected a deal at Torquay)

I make that a maximum of seven more players in total, but obviously without a new manager, I have no idea what formation we'll be playing so all of this may be completely useless.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post
    So with our first two summer signings through the door, I was wondering how many more players we need and what positions need strengthening before August 6th?

Working on the assumption that Wootton is going but both Chicksen and Brooks stay, I think we still need:

A goalkeeper, acting as competition for Solcombe, with Brooks almost certainly going out on loan again if he re-signs

A centre back to replace Lacey, but someone much more aggressive than him

At least one, potentially two, 'ball-breakers' in midfield to finally address the issue we've had since Yates left in 2018

With the fact I'd probably let Mitchell leave on loan, and working under the assumption the Langstaff is going to be playing out wide, I'd also say we need two strikers, both with the ability to hold the ball up when necessary (I certainly wouldn't mind Danny Wright as one of these now he's rejected a deal at Torquay)

I make that a maximum of seven more players in total, but obviously without a new manager, I have no idea what formation we'll be playing so all of this may be completely useless.
    We need to comfortable be able to play at least 2 different formations within the squad, this season gone we haven't had enough quality depth in midfield to play 3-5-2 effectively so if we stick with this formation then at least 2 more work horse centre midfielders are require. JOB, Francis and Cal in midfield just doesn't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCnotts18 View Post

Yeah let's collect right wing-backs, more than one would be helpful.
    But who's going to play on the other side!? I don't think we can rely on Taylor and there is nobody else (everyone needs to forget about Chicksen as an attacking player).

Did I read that Miller is a free agent again? Would we want him back? I'd be 50/50

Defensive midfield, please god get them to buy a defensive midfielder before we all combust, we've needed one for years. Then another CB but good in the air, goalkeeper, another striker. Then see if anyone else leaves and have a look then.

Oh and a left sided wing back if being greedy.

I'd hate to see Danny Wright arrive. He'll be 38 before the season's a month old and is only good for the odd goal now.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    Defensive midfield, please god get them to buy a defensive midfielder before we all combust, we've needed one for years. Then another CB but good in the air, goalkeeper, another striker. Then see if anyone else leaves and have a look then.
    I think we need a partner for Palmer. A 'defensive midfield' means two holding players? Palmer got his average 2 goals a season and that's all you can count on him for. A promotion bid requires goal output from all over the pitch, including centre-mid. I think we need a box-to-box hard running, tackling player who's good for a few goals too. The only thing we don't need him to do his play-make and knit the team together from front to back, Palmer can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I think we need a partner for Palmer. A 'defensive midfield' means two holding players? Palmer got his average 2 goals a season and that's all you can count on him for. A promotion bid requires goal output from all over the pitch, including centre-mid. I think we need a box-to-box hard running, tackling player who's good for a few goals too. The only thing we don't need him to do his play-make and knit the team together from front to back, Palmer can do that.
    Yeah agreed, defensive maybe in the sense that I’m looking for their main things to be tackling, covering ground, second balls etc but someone who can also get in the box and let Palmer focus on running the game when we have the ball would be ideal. That’s the most important one to get bang on.

It depends who goes, but say Chicksen signs on and we don’t sell anyone then I don’t think we need loads. A genuine centre back, a left wing back to compete with Taylor, that central midfielder and another option upfront and we look good. Goalkeeper depends on how we see Brooks, but he’s just had a successful loan spell with a top team two leagues below and is getting to an age where, if we think he’s good enough, it’s time to give him the chance to show it. If he’s not then we can always dip into the loan market.

In Nemane, Taylor and Vincent I think we have three players who could well be a bit like new signings anyway in that I don’t think they ever did lots wrong but IB just didn’t rate them for one reason or another. Maybe Knight too if he’s over his fitness issues.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I said to the title thread what else needs strengthening - defensive midfield. Then I said please god let them buy A defensive midfielder as we've needed one for years. I never said play a defensive midfield with 2 midfielders. God this site is infuriating, people don't actually read posts.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I said to the title thread what else needs strengthening - defensive midfield. Then I said please god let them buy A defensive midfielder as we've needed one for years. I never said play a defensive midfield with 2 midfielders. God this site is infuriating, people don't actually read posts.
    By his description of the player he wants in midfield, i thought he was describing Steven Gerrard!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast