+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T:- RIP Lester Piggott

O/T:- RIP Lester Piggott

Just died in Switzerland age 86.

I'm not much of horse racing fan but two names that always stood out for me when I did a bit of gambling were Lester and Freddy Winter.

RIP and enjoy the races in the afterworld.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 29-05-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

R.I.P. Lester, I only read yesterday he was supposed to be coming out of hospital this week, so this comes as a shock.
    Probably one of the reasons I took an interest in horse racing. There was great rivalry between him and Willie Carson as well in that era.
    I guess he did very well to live until 86 surviving on cigars and champagne for a lot of his life. The struggles of a flat jockey in those days.

My mum's favourite whenever had a bet. It didn't matter if the horse had three legs, her money was on Lester.
    RIP one of the greatest

Rode his first winner when only 12 and won his first Derby in 1954 aged 18 on Never Say Die.
    Known as the long fellow because he was tall for a flat jockey and lived mainly on cigars.
    A great jockey, R.I.P. Lester.

As with OP, I'm not a racing fan either but you've got to admire what Lester achieved. I noticed Ray Liotta died the other day, only 67, one of my favourite actors.

R.I.P

A fair few here will probably remember the long time ATV Today and Central News sports presenter Bob Hall.
    Died yesterday.