+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Champions League Final

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Problem is that the Liverpool fans have been tarred with the brush now, "always involved, never our fault" and so they have made themselves easy targets for blame. I don't know anything about the incidents as didn't watch the match or pre/post match coverage, but its easy to see why Liverpool fans get the blame for everything as they are a soft target. Rightly or wrongly, I don't know - but is it just a coincidence that whenever issues like this arise, curiously it is generally at matches involving Liverpool? No smoke without a little fire?
    Or...Liverpool have played in more high profile matches than any other English - and probably European - team in recent years which is probably a better reason than your ‘no smoke without fire’ reasoning.

It’s happened twice - ever - and I’m sure some Liverpool fans carry some responsibility for both Heysel and Hillsborough however you’ve heard MA’s account of Heysel and everyone is now aware of what really went on at Leppings Lane which I still find ‘uncomfortable’ each time I go.

Surely if Liverpool fans are so bad things would have kicked off after the semi final with City at Wembley...two teams making virtually the same journey back north and yet...nothing.

Sorry Andy...I wasn’t aware of this nastiness you speak of. There are indeed some nasty people out there as well as many jealous ones.

I do wonder if it is possible that the French would have been happy to see an English team discredited in the same way as, rightly or wrongly, happened after Heysel and with the same consequences. That might be the best way for PSG to actually reach the final. Just sayin’...

P.S. My worst experiences of rival fans? West Ham, Millwall, Chelsea, Rangers, Grimsby and Wrexham...but that really is just personal and probably not at all indicative.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.

Ive heard so many conflicting reports of what happened at the 2 H's I no longer know what to believe went on, and its history now. Yes Liverpool have been involved in several high profile domestic and European matches. more so than some, but probably no more than Manchesters C n U, Arsenal or Chelsea over the past 30 years. The score is still Liverpool 2 (maybe 3?) Forest 1 Juventus1 Real possibly 1. So I stick to my smoke and fire assertion.

Worst fans I have encountered? I an add Villa, but perversely the only time I have been on the receiving end of "a kicking" was by Derby fans! At the time I was living in Birmingham whilst at Uni, and went to watch us play at St Andrews. I went with no signs of allegiance - this was the 70s - and arrived at the ground on a local bus just as a large group of Rams fans were walking up the hill to the ground in the opposite direction. Ce the cry of "lets get the Brummies" and I went down - maybe you were there, maybe it was you! But I have reflected on the iromy ever since

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Ive heard so many conflicting reports of what happened at the 2 H's I no longer know what to believe went on, and its history now. Yes Liverpool have been involved in several high profile domestic and European matches. more so than some, but probably no more than Manchesters C n U, Arsenal or Chelsea over the past 30 years. The score is still Liverpool 2 (maybe 3?) Forest 1 Juventus1 Real possibly 1. So I stick to my smoke and fire assertion.

Worst fans I have encountered? I an add Villa, but perversely the only time I have been on the receiving end of "a kicking" was by Derby fans! At the time I was living in Birmingham whilst at Uni, and went to watch us play at St Andrews. I went with no signs of allegiance - this was the 70s - and arrived at the ground on a local bus just as a large group of Rams fans were walking up the hill to the ground in the opposite direction. Ce the cry of "lets get the Brummies" and I went down - maybe you were there, maybe it was you! But I have reflected on the iromy ever since
    No...not me...loathe hooliganism in any guise and I didn’t actually support Derby until the late eighties although I had visited the BBG many times before then. Mind you...if I’d known...you’d obviously done something...as you say, no smoke without fire.

I think Liverpool have actually been in more big matches than most over the last few years and there hasn’t been any significant trouble since Hillsborough 33 years ago from which the fans were largely exonerated.
    Personally I suspect the attitude of a minority of late arriving and possibly ticketless fans was a contributory factor, but first and foremost...the fault lay with the ‘accident waiting to happen’ entrance to Leppings Lane together with inadequate and ultimately ‘bent’ policing.

"No...not me...loathe hooliganism in any guise and I didn’t actually support Derby until the late eighties although I had visited the BBG many times before then. Mind you...if I’d known...you’d obviously done something...as you say, no smoke without fire. "

There probably was some give away sign of being from Birmingham - but I didnt have a cup of Bovril or a pint of M&B Mild in sight. Perhap the Derby fans were psychic - as well as psychotic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)