+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 📝 Macaulay Langstaff Signs

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    Fantastic signing. Understands the league, young, fast, devastating in front of goal, loads of assists. Player of the year, yes yes yes we'll done Notts!!
    potentially a good signing but how can he understand the league if he hasn't played in it?

Well this is a great bit of news and on the face of it a very good signing. To get 32 goals in a season is a fantastic achievement at any level especially Step 2 (NLN) Even if he only gets half the amount of goals next season in this league that would still be a good return.

Good work Notts. Looking forward to seeing Langstaff in action.

So barring people leaving (which is a strong possibility of course, but that aside), we just now need one or two nasty ball winning midfielders and maybe a defender or two, yeah?

I reckon we've got enough creativity, just need some fangs in the middle and a stronger defence.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    Potentially a good signing but how can he understand the league if he hasn't played in it?
    This 'understands the league' is a mystifying thing to me too. He hasn't played in this league and even if he had how does he understand it? Got to know the players in each team? How each team is set up to play by it's manager? What is expected of the teams? How can he know more than any other player or supporter who has been suffering the awful displays of crappiness of blind refereeing for years?

Quote Originally Posted by Jampie View Post
    So barring people leaving (which is a strong possibility of course, but that aside), we just now need one or two nasty ball winning midfielders and maybe a defender or two, yeah?

I reckon we've got enough creativity, just need some fangs in the middle and a stronger defence.
    I wouldn't rule out signing another attacking player if a top quality one like Lemonheigh-Evans is available for the right wages, but yes you're right that the priority right now is a couple of big, nasty midfielders and a dominant head it, kick it centre-half to fill the space left by Alex Lacey. Our weakness last season was not lack of goals, it was conceding too many, and I think those problems began in the midfield area where Ed Francis proved to be too lightweight and Jim O'Brien - competitive and passionate as he is - is almost 35 years old and doesn't give us the supplementary height we need when defending set-pieces.

Richard Brindley looks best suited to continue on the right-hand side of three central defenders and I'm not convinced at 29 that he's now able to provide effective cover for TAR at right-wing-back, so we probably need another orthodox RWB option to challenge TAR. We might also want another LWB option (like Miller?) as well if we're aiming to play with wing-backs most of the time, because last season we had to loan players like Conor Parsons into those positions when we found ourselves short.

Turned out to be a reasonably good signing to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Turned out to be a reasonably good signing to be fair.
    Certainly did.

Free-scoring Macaulay Langstaff is no stranger to personal accolades and described the Our Game Player of the Year award as ‘the icing on the cake’ of a memorable season.

The forward helped fire the Magpies back to the Football League with his record-breaking tally of 42 goals, made all the more remarkable by the fact none came from the spot.

He scooped his latest prize at the Non-League Paper’s National Game Awards, in association with Isuzu, 10 days after County’s dramatic penalty shootout victory over Chesterfield in the National League play-off final.

"I always say that personal accolades are the icing on the cake of team success," said Langstaff. "We have gained promotion and I have gained some personal accolades along the way, so it has been a great season.

"I am really honoured to win the Our Game Player of the Year award. I see the players that are here, they are top players and top professionals.

“It has been an incredible season and to win this award means a lot.”

Having signed from Gateshead for £50,000 last summer, Langstaff shattered the club record set by Tom Keetley which had stood for 92 years.

The Magpies went toe-to-toe with Wrexham in a titanic tussle for the title and though they eventually finished second on 107 points, Langstaff was delighted to get the job done in the play-offs.

He added: “It has been a bit of a rollercoaster and to finish it off with promotion is obviously unbelievable.

“To win it at Wembley in a penalty shootout, I don’t think there is a better way to win it. It is going to be a season I look back on for years to come.

“We were probably the underdogs, all the way through the season, everybody expected Wrexham to run away with it.

“Did I think we were both going to get over 100 points? No. It was really interesting for both sets of fans, but not for the players because we wanted to win the league."

Langstaff was not the only County winner on the day, with boss Luke Williams named Sports Ground Development Manager of the Year.

Accepting the award on Williams' behalf, his former teacher Mick Payne said: "When you see a manager go to the very top, people don't always see the foundations and the groundwork that he has had to go through to get to where he has got.

"I have known Luke since he was ten and I feel so privileged to be connected.

"As a player, he, unfortunately, had to finish very early due to injuries, and I think he was always destined in a way to be a coach and be a manager.

"He has worked tirelessly to get to where he is and I believe there are going to be big things for him down the line."

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...igious-8485352

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456