+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: If not, who then?

If not, who then?

It seems Marc roca is about to be our third signing, many on here keep critisiing anyone that we sign. The 2 lads from leipzig are apparently second rate, we haven't seen them have one game for Leeds yet. Let them have 10, then you can crtiscise. I put it out there....Who should we sign then?

Apologies, that should have been salzburg not leipzig.

Always a concern when Orta is at the wheel.

I know I'm a broken record but...

a couple of proven, physical championship players.

FWIW- physicality does not describe any of our signings so far. Kock, Llorente, Firpo don't fit that description either. If we lose phillips we will be a doormat down the middle of the pitch.

we seem reluctant to commit to big minutes for Strujik, Cresswell or Heldje who are physical.

I don't want to be in the Burnley model but we do have to have some physical players. Just a fact in the prem.

Said this in another thread (can't remember which!);

Nketiah from Arsenal
    Taylor from Burnley (If he can face the flak when he first appears)
    Tarkowski from Burnley (slap fat Frank in the face!)
    Cornet from Burnley
    Miniminho from Liverpool (another player Marsch might be "comfortable with" given past working together
    Olise from Palace
    Trossard from Brighton
    Vestergaard from Leicester
    Mendy from Leicester

Obviously not all, but a combination to address the known weaknesses, and go for at least some of those players who are proven AND in demand (yes, costs more, but for how long are we going to persist with chasing players very few other clubs want?).

Is Trossard available? He's a very good player for them.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Is Trossard available? He's a very good player for them.
    Not sure if any of the names relate to "available", but since when did that matter when clubs come sniffing around the likes of Philips? Why should we restrict ourselves to those who are unable to command a place in their existing team, or are at the end of contract? I know, money, but someday we have to show some ambition, we're not the only club that has to manage within tight budgets, but others seem able to do so (Olise to Palace for less than £10m as an example)

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Not sure if any of the names relate to "available", but since when did that matter when clubs come sniffing around the likes of Philips? Why should we restrict ourselves to those who are unable to command a place in their existing team, or are at the end of contract? I know, money, but someday we have to show some ambition, we're not the only club that has to manage within tight budgets, but others seem able to do so (Olise to Palace for less than £10m as an example)
    What is the difference [Apart from hindsight maybe] between Olise to Palace, and Kirstensen to Leeds - about the same price? addmitedly we dont yet know how good he will be for us, but the same could be said about Olise? Obviously now we all know how good he is - a little like Raphinia - "Who" ? 14 months ago?

Olise played for a poor Reading side in the Championship, Kirdstensen has champions league experience.

As I always say - lets judge our new players - and by extension Orta's success or otherwise AFTER they have played a few games - NOT beforethey have kicked a ball.

Not sure I’d welcome any of the Bumley players either.
    Unless it’s relegation experience that we’re looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Not sure I’d welcome any of the Bumley players either.
    Unless it’s relegation experience that we’re looking for?
    All are fighters and well versed in the kind of lower-table squabble we might well be in next season. the fact we survived (by the skin of our teeth), is hardly grounds for expecting us to replicate our first season.

To be specific amongst those, Taylor is a world away from what we have at present. He may well have left ER under a cloud, but if he was man enough to accept a reasonable offer I for one would like to se what he can do for us (lot's of supporters were enraged when we took on Diouf, but he became something of a fan favourite in his short stay at ER, so it can be done).

As for the observation from Tich regarding Olise, yes he was in a poor Reading side, but still managed to net 7 times in his final season there, and has continued with 4 in all competitions last season (if only our midfielders could replicate that). Why was Viera prepared to take a punt on him (at £8.7m!!)? Perhaps he saw what Leeds didn't, or didn't look to start with, having "settled" on the likes of James (at 3x the cost and exactly the same number of goals last season)?
    Last edited by WTF11; 13-06-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)