+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip off price of petrol and diesel

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Your reply to my post is another case of selective word blindness by you.
    I posted that the extra weight of electric powered vehicles will likely cause more pot holes.
    I also quoted the information from the minutes of the Islay Community Council meeting held on 18th May 2022 concerning the article in the press about the batteries of electric powered cars combusting.
    At present when the Gleaners petrol or diesel tanker sails on the Calmac ferry from Kennacraig to Islay it has to be situated in a part of the vehicle deck well away from other cars and commercial vehicles as a safety issue.
    If there is a combustion problem with battery powered vehicles then they will have to either be situated well away from other vehicles or preferably banned from sailing on Calmac ferries until their safety can be 100% guaranteed.
    If a vehicle goes on fire which happened in the cab of an HGV in mid passage on the MV Finlaggan sailing from Kennacraig to Port Askaig in December 2019 it can have serious consequences including a loss of life due to the remainder of the ferry going on fire.
    I should know as we were sitting at Port Askaig pier waiting for our sailing to Kennacraig when the fire engine based in Bowmore Islay arrived at Port Askaig pier with its blue lights flashing.
    I saw the badly burnt cab of the HGV which had been removed from the MV Finlaggan after it docked at Port Askaig pier as I drove our car onto the vehicle deck of the MV Finlaggan. You could still smell the smoke in the air from the fire.
    Needless to say the news about this lorry cab fire on the MV Finlaggan ferry during its sailing from Kennacraig to Port Askaig was suppressed and covered up by the bosses at Calmac Ferries, Transport Scotland and the Scottish Government because they do not allow bad news to be published if they can help it.
    Was that an electric HGV?

The Calmac staff on the vehicle deck including the mezzanine deck receive details of the expected weight of all the vehicles sailing on that ferry during the crossing.
    This allows for the vehicle deck to be balanced and to ensure that the ballast operations prior to each sailing are correct. My car has been on the mezzanine deck for a sailing and their is a mix of all sizes of cars on the mezzanine deck.
    However small, medium and large size electric powered cars will each be up to 50% heavier than the equivalent petrol or diesel powered car.
    Hybrid cars also have larger batteries than a petrol or diesel powered cars.
    The Secretary of Islay Community Council is also a member of the Calmac Communities Board of Directors and he told me in an email that he has raised my concerns about the heaver weight of electric vehicles sailing on Calmac ferries compared to petrol and diesel powered vehicles at their latest board of directors meeting and it should be quoted in the minutes of their meeting. https://www.calmac.co.uk/ferries-community-board
    He has raised YOUR concerns. That does not mean anyone shares your concerns,nor does it mean you are right. Up to 50% does not mean 50%,it means less than that, and going by your logic, Calmac would need to ban any car weighing above average for a car, like all SUVs,range rovers,bmws, anyone going to the mainland for a monthly shop.

Every lorry would have to be banned, they are heavy,and are clearly a fire risk. I know this because someone on Islay has mentioned it on more than one occasion. He did not however suggest any other options for getting his hobnobs into the local co-op.

This person is however,quite well known for being wrong now and again,and in my opinion,does not like anything that came before the current queen took the throne. He doesn't understand stuff,so in his head makes things up to rationalise his misunderstanding. He then punts this made up stuff as fact,and won't change his mind,even when it is obvious he is wrong.

I remember once he told a story about electric cars going on fire,and used as an example,a lorry going on fire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    Was that an electric HGV?
    No.
    If you had being paying attention to the news last week you would have seen the U.K. Chancellor is the Exchequer sitting on board the first electric powered HGV to be produced in the U.K.

No.
    If you had being paying attention to the news last week you would have seen the U.K. Chancellor is the Exchequer sitting on board the first electric powered HGV to be produced in the U.K.
    The question was rhetorical. It's in the dictionary are if you don't know the word,next to obsolete,ignorant and pigheaded

The question was rhetorical. It's in the dictionary are if you don't know the word,next to obsolete,ignorant and pigheaded
    What dictionary are you using?

He has raised YOUR concerns. That does not mean anyone shares your concerns,nor does it mean you are right. Up to 50% does not mean 50%,it means less than that, and going by your logic, Calmac would need to ban any car weighing above average for a car, like all SUVs,range rovers,bmws, anyone going to the mainland for a monthly shop.

Every lorry would have to be banned, they are heavy,and are clearly a fire risk. I know this because someone on Islay has mentioned it on more than one occasion. He did not however suggest any other options for getting his hobnobs into the local co-op.

This person is however,quite well known for being wrong now and again,and in my opinion,does not like anything that came before the current queen took the throne. He doesn't understand stuff,so in his head makes things up to rationalise his misunderstanding. He then punts this made up stuff as fact,and won't change his mind,even when it is obvious he is wrong.

I remember once he told a story about electric cars going on fire,and used as an example,a lorry going on fire!!!
    You really are a most objectionable person when it comes to having a discussion about anything you do not agree with.
    Grantzer. You would fit in well living on Islay.
    The local residents never complain about anything until it is too late and then they quote the famous Islay saying “We should have done something about that”.
    I on the other hand am not prepared to wait until it is too late amd I deal with things that concern me. It is called forward planning.
    I enclose an American article which published on 7th June 2021 about the problems with heavier electric vehicles. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/07/b...ght/index.html
    I suggest that you read it fully.
    The Calmac crew know the axle weight of every vehicle on the Kennacraig to Islay route prior to each sailing as the sailings have to be booked in advance.
    When a person books their sailing they are asked for the registration of their vehicle, the make and if it is carrying any attachments such as an overhead box or it is carrying bicycles on top of their vehicle or in a holder attached to the rear of their vehicle.
    The Calmac ferries all carry fire fighting equipment although recently several ferries have been taken out of service due to faults in their fire fighting equipment being noticed during their annual overhaul period resulting in these repairs having to be repaired at a later date.
    It is also the responsibility of the company owners of these HGVS to ensure that there vehicles are kept in a roadworthy condition.
    You might joke about the batteries of an electric powered car going on fire or the lorry cab going on fire on a Calmac ferry when it was in the middle of its crossing but you would soon change your tune if you were onboard a large CalMac ferry when this happened.
    Remember, the old saying “A stitch in time saves nine’.

Which dictionary are you using.

🤣🤣🤣

You really are a most objectionable person when it comes to having a discussion about anything you do not agree with.
    Grantzer. You would fit in well living on Islay.
    The local residents never complain about anything until it is too late and then they quote the famous Islay saying “We should have done something about that”.
    I on the other hand am not prepared to wait until it is too late amd I deal with things that concern me. It is called forward planning.
    I enclose an American article which published on 7th June 2021 about the problems with heavier electric vehicles. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/07/b...ght/index.html
    I suggest that you read it fully.
    The Calmac crew know the axle weight of every vehicle on the Kennacraig to Islay route prior to each sailing as the sailings have to be booked in advance.
    When a person books their sailing they are asked for the registration of their vehicle, the make and if it is carrying any attachments such as an overhead box or it is carrying bicycles on top of their vehicle or in a holder attached to the rear of their vehicle.
    The Calmac ferries all carry fire fighting equipment although recently several ferries have been taken out of service due to faults in their fire fighting equipment being noticed during their annual overhaul period resulting in these repairs having to be repaired at a later date.
    It is also the responsibility of the company owners of these HGVS to ensure that there vehicles are kept in a roadworthy condition.
    You might joke about the batteries of an electric powered car going on fire or the lorry cab going on fire on a Calmac ferry when it was in the middle of its crossing but you would soon change your tune if you were onboard a large CalMac ferry when this happened.
    Remember, the old saying “A stitch in time saves nine’.
    So that addresses nothing I said. Absolutely nothing. I don't agree with what you said because most of it is stuff you imagined,stuff you made up and stuff you got wrong. I am objectionable,and what I object to is you posting absolute garbage and pretending that because you spam email accounts you must be right.

You are not,you are an idiot.

Electric cars do not weigh 50% more than other cars. They don't go on fire more often than petrol or diesel cars. They are not silent,and don't have drivers who look to mow down anyone who crosses the road without looking. They may or may not cause potholes,but i am certain you have no evidence that would suggest they are worse fir this than any other car.

Calmac have tolerances for weight, they can accommodate electric cars easily. Given that lorries use those ferries,I would have thought that was obvious.

It's called the book of Douglas. All the words are adjectives describing a certain resident of Islay. It is a work in progress,currently containing 3 million words. None of them are good

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)