+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip off price of petrol and diesel

Rip off price of petrol and diesel

There has been a lot of talk in the media about filling stations failing to pass on the 5p reduction of tax paid on a litre of unleaded petrol and diesel which equates to 6p per litre when the corresponding reduction of 20% VAT i taken in account.
    I have had first hand dealings of the 5p reduction of petrol and diesel prices.
    Filling stations in rural parts of Scotland plus the Inner and Outer Hebrides have had a 5p reduction in the price of a litre of petrol and diesel for from memory the past ten years.
    In theory it is should work but in practice it does not because it is up to the owners of the filling stations to claim back the 5p per litre of petrol and diesel sold.
    This system is wide open to abuse as there is nothing to stop the owner of a filling station increasing the price of petrol and diesel by 5p per litre than necessary, then reduce it by 5p and claim 5p per litre of unleaded petrol and diesel sold from the Scottish Government. A win win for the owner of the filling station.
    The filling stations in Islay do not have large signs advertising the price of their unleaded petrol and diesel on sale at their pumps which means that a vehicle driver only discovers the price when they stop their vehicle at the pumps.
    In my opinion vehicle drivers in the rural parts of Scotland should be given a receipt every time they purchase unleaded petrol and diesel and they can claim back their 5p per litre purchased from the Scottish Government once every six months.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    There has been a lot of talk in the media about filling stations failing to pass on the 5p reduction of tax paid on a litre of unleaded petrol and diesel which equates to 6p per litre when the corresponding reduction of 20% VAT i taken in account.
    Filling stations in rural parts of Scotland plus the Inner and Outer Hebrides have had a 5p reduction in the price of a litre of petrol and diesel for from memory the past ten years.
    In theory it is should work but in practice it does not because it is up to the owners of the filling stations to claim back the 5p per litre of petrol and diesel sold.
    This system is wide open to abuse as there is nothing to stop the owner of a filling station increasing the price of petrol and diesel by 5p per litre than necessary, then reduce it by 5p and claim 5p per litre of unleaded petrol and diesel sold from the Scottish Government. A win win for the owner of the filling station.
    The filling stations in Islay do not have large signs advertising the price of their unleaded petrol and diesel on sale at their pumps which means that a vehicle driver only discovers the price when they stop their vehicle at the pumps.
    In my opinion vehicle drivers in the rural parts of Scotland should be given a receipt every time they purchase unleaded petrol and diesel and they can claim back their 5p per litre purchased from the Scottish Government once every six months.
    Hard to disagree with that except that the claim back should be nationwide. I'd happily add this to my annual tax return.

Oh, and the 5p is a Wasteminster government concession not a Holyrood government one so it should come back from them.

Owning a car ( arguably the greatest invention in history ) will be a luxury for the very well AFF soon.

You will own nothing and be happy 😞

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Owning a car ( arguably the greatest invention in history ) will be a luxury for the very well AFF soon.

You will own nothing and be happy 😞
    Think there is more to this, why would people switch to electric if fuel was cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Hard to disagree with that except that the claim back should be nationwide. I'd happily add this to my annual tax return.

Oh, and the 5p is a Wasteminster government concession not a Holyrood government one so it should come back from them.
    Not everyone has to fill out an annual tax return.
    We are talking about two different petrol and diesel price deduction schemes.
    The U.K. wide one is a 5p deduction in the price of duty paid on petrol and diesel which results in a total price reduction of 6p including a 1p reduction in the 20% Vat paid.
    The reduction in the price of petrol and diesel in the rural parts of Scotland plus the inner and outer Hebrides is a Scottish Government scheme which was supposed to cut the price of petrol and diesel in these remote places resulting in a 5p reduction in the pump price.
    However this can never be officially passed on to the motorist until the U.K. Government sets an official price for the sale of petrol and diesel throughout the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Think there is more to this, why would people switch to electric if fuel was cheaper
    There are several hidden problems with electric cars which the climate change ‘experts’ have conveniently hidden from the general public.
    I have know about one of them since June 2021.

You will own nothing and be happy ��
    In rural parts of the U.K. where local bus services are few and far between owning a car is a necessity for people living in these areas.

You will own nothing and be happy ��
    there are thousands of people who have almost everything they need, they own nothing, but are up to their necks in debt !

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    there are thousands of people who have almost everything they need, they own nothing, but are up to their necks in debt !
    Why not ( lol) it's how nations are run these days 😞

Free money, roll up roll up.

There are several hidden problems with electric cars which the climate change ‘experts’ have conveniently hidden from the general public.
    I have know about one of them since June 2021.
    But there is one massive plus.... imagine adding 200 miles of range for 2 quid......

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)