+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marc roca

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    Try getting any fringe players from Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid et al and because they are fringe players they are likely to have not had a huge amount of game time, Getting minutes if you have the best in the world in front of you is always going to be a big ask, and for me seems to be a way of getting [In general] good value for money, anyone on the fringes of any of those teams are no mugs as City etc don't just buy in mugs to have on their fringes.

Agree. I just can't get over Firpo, who really wasn't that good last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    He's coming in to replace Philips IMO we then have only Roca and Forshaw... no one else is actually a DM as far as I can work out - so we will need another is we are to strengthen the squad - only my opinion like. So Iwill wait to see how good he is before commenting on his value or otherwise.
    WTF as usual shoots from the lip as soon as we get someone - anyone - based on games played and stats from previous outings for different clubs, preffering to tell us all "I told you so" occasionlly rather that ACTUALLY watch a player play for us BEFORE giving us all the benefit of his abounding football knowledge.

Leopard/spots......
    And on what other basis do you think the scouts identify players who can either act as replacement or strengthen the squad, other than the data-driven decisions that all clubs make, bolstered by observing them play (although in the case of Roca that would be f00king hard to do, wouldn't it)? They do it by some kind of divine intervention? Toss of a coin? A game of "one potato, two potato"? Blind luck (I think so!)?

Please, do share your wisdom as to how you believe such decisions are made, given that like BB, (and unlike yours truly, who called them all out before they kicked (or in the case of Casilla, fumbled) a ball for LUFC), you thought Casilla, JKA, Rodrigo and James (amongst others who really should remain nameless) were "good bits of business" and have cost us near on £100m in transfer fees, release clauses, wages etc, and delivered next to no value whatsoever. I am just all ears (and eyes) to hear your thoughts on how we select our victims (sorry, new acquisitions).

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Maybe so, but for a team playing in a league which is inferior to the PL, and playing in a position (when he plays) where have plentiful cover already. And we pay £14m for this? Why?
    We haven't bought a first team central midfielder in 8 transfer windows?

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    We haven't bought a first team central midfielder in 8 transfer windows?
    Yikes - guess we let a few go too such as Siaz, Pablo and no doubt a few more!

We scout on the basis of identifying players who can fill gaps in our squad, or who might act as replacements for those who leave, yes?

Roca hasn't played regular football for two years (minimum), he plays in a position where we have players already, unless (as I queried WS) we are thinking of him as a possible replacement for Philips (if Philips leaves, and if he doesn't, what else would Roca do, a new Koch (no pun intended) or Llorente or, or, or,? So we acquire his "skills" on what basis, because Bayern can't find a use for him?

I challenged WS on the basis of saying that "if we were buying a regular first teamer we would need to pay north of 60M and to offer him far more in wages and European football". So we AREN'T getting Roca as a regular first teamer, which is the implication? (Hence the "ridiculous" comment).

I agree on the Aaronsson/Kristensen matter, and you'll notice any comments I have made are about where they have come from and the motivation for their acquisition, not their capabilities, which we will see very soon. Roca is a whole different ball game, literally.
    Plays in a position we have players already?

He is a defensive midfielder, we have two.........and we have two spots and one of those is probably leaving the other is an injury prone 30 year old. I'm assuming you are not seriously classing Koch/Llorente as midfielders?

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Plays in a position we have players already?

He is a defensive midfielder, we have two.........and we have two spots and one of those is probably leaving the other is an injury prone 30 year old. I'm assuming you are not seriously classing Koch/Llorente as midfielders?
    Wasn't that what they were bought as? And Klich, Forshaw, Dallas (admittedly a doubt with that injury), Cresswell.

And (as usual) my arguments as to why we should use the funds available, based on fact and the stats that so many decisions are based are ignored.

How many capable of scoring do we have, compared to those who SHOULD be capable of defending? We have ONE goal scorer who SHOULD be with us next season, and a really special creator who probably won't. Where should we be investing, given the wasteful spending of previous seasons?

Can't be ar5ed to discuss further, not (any more), to say I told you so when more money is shown to have been wasted, done that too many times over too many years.

Wasn't that what they were bought as? And Klich, Forshaw, Dallas (admittedly a doubt with that injury), Cresswell.

And (as usual) my arguments as to why we should use the funds available, based on fact and the stats that so many decisions are based are ignored.

How many capable of scoring do we have, compared to those who SHOULD be capable of defending? We have ONE goal scorer who SHOULD be with us next season, and a really special creator who probably won't. Where should we be investing, given the wasteful spending of previous seasons?

Can't be ar5ed to discuss further, not (any more), to say I told you so when more money is shown to have been wasted, done that too many times over too many years.
    Course you can't be arsed... your theory is half arsed... we haven't signed a midfield player since the championship, you seem to think we are over abundant with Premiership quality here.... thank christ your not our DOF

Klich was poor last year, Forshaw is crocked, Dallas is a wide player and the fact you are somehow trying to say Cresswell is a midfielder is beyond me.

We've been desperate for midfielders for 2 years and we've signed one yet you've constructed some weird way to make it sound like we don't need them, claiming Cresswell is a midfielder is just the cherry on top.

We need both a central midfielder (if not 3) and a striker, 14m for someone who has good potential is a good price in this day and age.

We’ve been running on championship fuel for 2 seasons now.
    It’s expired.
    Need at least 6 new faces across the board.
    Give them a chance and then complain.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Klich was poor last year, Forshaw is crocked, Dallas is a wide player and the fact you are somehow trying to say Cresswell is a midfielder is beyond me.

We've been desperate for midfielders for 2 years and we've signed one yet you've constructed some weird way to make it sound like we don't need them, claiming Cresswell is a midfielder is just the cherry on top.

We need both a central midfielder (if not 3) and a striker, 14m for someone who has good potential is a good price in this day and age.
    Without saying I told you so I think both you and I said last summer we were at least 2 short in midfield one of whom should be Pablo replacement and a striker.

Midfield was our Achilles heel all season with gaping holes left for others to charge though at times.

Roca was good for Espanyol and has managed to play for Bayern so should be a good addition. think Aaronssen will be good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)