+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let Them All In - Poor Poor Devils

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    Labour gave us low inflation and ten consecutive years of economic growth from 97-07. There was a recession in the EU and the US in the early 2000s which we avoided.

I don't know why you keep bringing up furlough, virtually every developed country in the world offered some king of wage subsidy. Our Govt didn't do anything special or different to any other country. Other than handle the pandemic terribly.

I just don't understand your perspective that you think the Tories are doing job because of the high number of job vacancies. We always have had some amount of job vacancies in this country, without looking at the figures it was probably something like 500k-750k pre Tory Govt, and pre Brexit. That is a figure the country can cope with. Again, I'm just guessing, we've probably lost 250k-500k EU workers since the Brexit vote. That creates a level of job market where there isn't enough people to pick our fruit, serve us food, handle our baggage. And in turn that increases wages, and increases inflation. This is just simple economics. And you're praising the Government for this economic inadequacy.

As for the NHS and police, police numbers have decreased since 2010. NHS spend has gone down in real terms in the same period. You might call it drivel, but these are facts. The NHS figures between 2010 and now are like chalk and cheese. And in my view, a lot of the issues from Brexit and the Govts failings have been swept up under the rug by the pandemic. When in reality it is our Govts financial mismanagement and incompetence that is causing it.
    I always find your criticisms of tories excessively harsh, inaccurate and without context. Which is why I have pointed out the drivel…it’s not that it’s factually incorrect, it’s that it lacks thought context and reason. The thought that labour would not make public sector cuts in that climate it unusual and shows your bias.

I’m not actually defending this Tory govt, which has been fairly shocking on several fronts but you have posted recently wanting them out for generations, which is an odd stance. For every Tory pandemic blunder, you could take a balanced view and think about the illegal war we entered under Labour. The lives that were lost unnecessarily and the costs should also put you off voting for them for a lifetime by your logic.

From a Brexit point of view, immigration of low paid workers is always a shot in the arm to an economy but it’s a false figure as it always catches up with itself and provides no increase in GDP per capita. We should be balancing what we have in society vs what we need and not constantly racing to gain investment through businesses interested in low skilled worker availability, which we take from other countries. That takes time to settle and will no doubt temporarily impact economically but is recoverable. We should be giving the people what they want not just chasing one off best possible economic performance! That’s not how a society should function.

We might have to leave it there, but that’s my view you’re entitled to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    I always find your criticisms of tories excessively harsh, inaccurate and without context. Which is why I have pointed out the drivel…it’s not that it’s factually incorrect, it’s that it lacks thought context and reason. The thought that labour would not make public sector cuts in that climate it unusual and shows your bias.

I’m not actually defending this Tory govt, which has been fairly shocking on several fronts but you have posted recently wanting them out for generations, which is an odd stance. For every Tory pandemic blunder, you could take a balanced view and think about the illegal war we entered under Labour. The lives that were lost unnecessarily and the costs should also put you off voting for them for a lifetime by your logic.

From a Brexit point of view, immigration of low paid workers is always a shot in the arm to an economy but it’s a false figure as it always catches up with itself and provides no increase in GDP per capita. We should be balancing what we have in society vs what we need and not constantly racing to gain investment through businesses interested in low skilled worker availability, which we take from other countries. That takes time to settle and will no doubt temporarily impact economically but is recoverable. We should be giving the people what they want not just chasing one off best possible economic performance! That’s not how a society should function.

We might have to leave it there, but that’s my view you’re entitled to yours.
    Fair enough, of course we disagree but as you say we are all entitled to our opinions and you do offer some thoughtful logic at least in your responses. I should also point out to you I don't actually vote Labour now and won't do for the foreseeable. But when comparing the main two parties and I just think they're a better alternative to the Tories.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)