+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Signings

I'll be honest, I haven't been able to sleep or eat the last few days out of sheer anxiety and panic. It's mid-June and we've only signed two players so far. I'm literally shaking. I think I'm going to be sick.

Come on Notts, can we please announce multiple signings today. It doesn't matter who they are - we can complain about that later.

The last thing we want to do right now is take our time to find the right players to take us forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    Devon White isn't even 60 yet, - get him on board as well.
    Hughesy

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Hughesy
    You win nowt with kids

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Same could be said for Nemane as well. Got to wonder if there is a disconnect between what Burchnall played and what the recruitment team were looking for?
    And Vincent, who is a bit wasteful in possession but quick and full of energy.

I’m chilled on the transfer front, two of the most important positions sorted already and we’re still a fortnight out from pre-season starting. If no one else leaves we don’t even really need loads I don’t think, three or four good level signings and we’re good to go.

Same could be said for Nemane as well. Got to wonder if there is a disconnect between what Burchnall played and what the recruitment team were looking for?
    Taylor definitely has something to offer but IB obviously didn't fancy him in the 2nd half of the season.

He was outstanding away at Rochdale and I thought he would be a guaranteed starter from that point...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    To be fair to Taylor, he was signed with a tagline of "fastest thing on 2 legs... can get down the line in a flash, great crosser at speed" etc, then we played a style that turned the ball backwards and sideways every time. The things he was signed to do, and was sold to us to be good at, he wasn't allowed to do. So for me the Jury's out yet on him.
    The same with Richardson, at times. Begging for him to take people on but he'd turn back in. Definitely a patient, risk averse approach to the build up play, waiting for a gap in the opposition wide areas for the wing-backs to run on to a through ball. Teams quickly worked this out. Only issue is whether this was purely a Burchnall approach or if the whole style of play is directed from above......
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-06-2022 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Hughesy
    We could certainly do with a Hughesy type of player. Someone to stamp on defenders toes and pull shirts to get the job done of scoring goals and be a general menace in the penalty area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Only issue is whether this was purely a Burchnall approach or if the whole style of play is directed from above......
    I very much doubt they'd micromanage like that.
    My reading of Burchnall was that he was a bit of a control freak, and this is one of the reasons he's gone - an overbearing presence like that would wear down relationships fast and players would grow tired of his voice and presence over time.

When games were cancelled, he'd moan about it affecting his drawn up training schedules (when have u heard another manager say that?). Little things like stopping Ruben practising free-kicks, saying take 8 only. A great organiser maybe but you'd grow sick of that over time. Just the impression I got, and the kind of thing managers can learn from and tone down (although the tendencies remain).

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I very much doubt they'd micromanage like that.
    My reading of Burchnall was that he was a bit of a control freak, and this is one of the reasons he's gone - an overbearing presence like that would wear down relationships fast and players would grow tired of his voice and presence over time.

When games were cancelled, he'd moan about it affecting his drawn up training schedules (when have u heard another manager say that?). Little things like stopping Ruben practising free-kicks, saying take 8 only. A great organiser maybe but you'd grow sick of that over time. Just the impression I got, and the kind of thing managers can learn from and tone down (although the tendencies remain).
    He certainly did seem to fall out with certain players. Vincent was definitely one, he came in, it was like a breath of fresh air and then soon after he was out of the squad. Roberts seemingly the same.

Have to disagree with the Rodrigues thing though, there was logic behind that. He wanted to have Ruben hit the free kicks under some sort of pressure, so limiting the amount he could take put pressure on him to get it right, almost like an in game situation
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-06-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Fixed typo for clarity

Have to disagree with the Rodrigues thing though, there was logic behind that. He wanted to have Ruben hit the free kicks under some sort of pressure, so limiting the amount he could take put pressure on him to get it right, almost like an in game situation
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that one then. When a pro sportsman is working on their craft it's better not to interfere...I doubt Dean Smith told MJ to take only 8 jumpers, did Phil Taylor take only 8 practice shots at a double? Would golfers, tennis players limit themselves like that?
    Also, it takes the joy out of working on your craft having someone come along with a clipboard and try to tell you what to do.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast