+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicking our heels until something happens

Kicking our heels until something happens

How about some quickfire questions for everyone...

1. First game and any memories of it

2. Best performance you've been to (or listened to if you can't get to games)

3. Worst performance

4. Best moment as a Notts supporter

5. Worst moment

6. Funniest moment

7. The player you've enjoyed the most (not necessarily the best)

8. How you came to be a Notts supporter

9. Sum up how you feel about Notts in 3 words

Mine would be:
    1. Away at Southend, March 1971, we lost 1 - 0. I had no clue what was going on and my dad hired a cushion so I could see a bit better. Missed the goal and was puzzled as to why it wasn't shown again like it was on the telly.

2. Genuinely can't pick one from our heyday

3. Home game, forget who we played, but we got drenched on the way, we were desperate, it rained some more, the match was abandoned.

4. Wembley v Tranmere. Turned out to be my Dad's last game though we had no idea of that at the time. Nothing will ever top that.

5. The Luton game. Also up there with the best for the sense of so many supporters coming together to try to keep Notts alive.

6. The muddy patch

7. Steve Carter

8. Dad born and brought up on ML

9. Joy pain frustration

Oooh why not...

1. Wimbledon at home, 1992, old First Division. We drew 1-1. I remember my dad propping me up on the terrace so I could see and having to leave early because I was tired. I think it was a Tuesday night game.

2. Notts 5-0 Bradford, 2009

3. Too many to mention. The 0-5 loss to Macclesfield takes some beating

4. I was at the 2-1 league win against Forest, but I was probably too young to appreciate it fully. The same for going to the old Wembley in the mid-90s. Given that we've largely sucked for most of my life, some of the best times have actually been brief moments - goal celebrations where you just lose yourself for a minute or two. Even if we go on to lose the game, those moments are priceless. In recent times, Bish's goal against Man City, Hughes' extra-time goal away at Forest in the cup, and John Forte's goal away at Coventry in the playoffs spring to mind. Pure joy. And we didn't even win any of those games

5. The summer following our relegation out of the league - months of rumours about takeovers that never happened, genuine fraudsters trying to buy the club, wondering if we'd go under, with the very best outcome being that we'd start the season as a non-league club with hardly any players. Awful time.

6. Steve Thompson was pretty funny.

7. Lee Hughes, Mark Stallard, Paul Devlin (my hero as a school kid).

8. My dad supports Notts. As did my grandad. Not much I can do about it.

9. More than football.

Worst/funniest moment - David Smith, diminutive midfielder, picking the ball up in the penalty area at Charlton. He thought the ref had given a penalty against Notts which the ref hadn’t. But of course it was a penalty then. I think it ended 1-1.

Another contender in the same categories would be Ryan Schofield being robbed of the ball by a Carlisle player lurking behind him a few seasons ago.

I'll give it a go . . .

Notts at home to Florist mid 70's, might have been a County Cup game, but not sure. Forest supporting Uncle took me and we stood in the Kop. I think they won 3-1 or 4-1, can't really remember. For some reason I left the ground having absolutely no interest in following them over the river. A few years later I started to go with some school mates who were Notts fans and that was it.

There's been a few but essentially any of the games we beat the dark side.

3. Worst performance

Really can't pick just one, there have been so many.

The Cambridge home game after we won promotion to Div 1. Everyone on the edge of the pitch 20 mins before the final whistle was blown, celebrating on the pitch and then continuing on to slab square for a celebratory dip in the fountains.

5. Worst moment

Again, too many to mention but Bradford play-off final defeat is up there along with losing our league status.

6. Funniest moment

Writing 2 -0 on a mates ar5e with a marker pen on the bus on the way back from the Tranmere play-off win so he could 'moonie' it at every Tranmere car or bus that we passed.

Any from the Sirrel era, but especially Raddy. Speial mentions for Super Mac and Lee Hughes.

See #1.

9. Sum up how you feel about Notts in 3 word3

Simply the best!

1. Chester (I think) at home 1966/67 season. Lost 2-1 (I think). Stan Marshall scored at the Kop end (I think). I was sat on the wall.
    2. Brighton play off final
    3. Havant and Waterloo FA Cup exit at home
    4. Any victory over Fword
    5. Defeat to Macclesfield at home, it was then obvious we would be relegated from EFL
    6. Viv Anderson's own goal at the Lane end
    7. Don Masson. Sheer class
    8. It was Notts or Fword. No choice really.
    9. Hope is dangerous

1. At home Bristol City sometime around 1980, I think we won.

2. I wasn't at it, but the commentary for the 5-0 against Bradford made that sound like I had missed something really special.

3. There have been so many, and I don't think I could choose one, basically any with Richard Duffy throwing himself on the floor.

4. Sir Charlie Palmer and that header!

5. Worst moment had to be dropping out of the league.

6. our players doing the Klinsmann after McSwegan scored against them, a brilliant night that.

7. Tommy Johnson, and the best I have seen play for Notts has to be Don Masson

8. rebelling against Dad after having been to Wembley to watch them play wolves, and the fact grown men were blubbering on the coach on the way home, if only I knew that notts would do the same to me years later ha ha.

9. Memories, Away days, heartache.

Steve Thompson saying " If the ref was on fire he would dial 998"

Win 3.0 against Spurs

Got absolutely soaked on a freezing Tues night at Carlisle. Won the game 3.2 but got relegated to non league..
    Last edited by SwalePie; 17-06-2022 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

0-0 against Blackburn, 1977-78 season. Paul Bradshaw had a blinder in goal for Blackburn. I wouldn't actually see any goal until my fourth game (a 3-1 win over Southampton). Strictly speaking, my first game was a 0-0 between Forest and Cardiff in the mid-70s when a friend's dad took a bunch of us to the game as a birthday party gift, but that made zero impression on me so doesn't count.

The 3-0 against Spurs in the League Cup in 1994 was pretty special. A close second was the 5-0 v Bradford in 2009 - I love the smell of hope at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon.

3. Worst performance
    Way too many to recount, although the 0-4 home defeat v Yeovil early on in the relegation season takes some beating.

The 3-1 win over Brighton in 1991, especially as soon after I moved to the south coast and worked with quite a few Seagulls fans. Not often a Notts fan enjoys bragging rights over anyone else, but I made the most of it.

5. Worst moment
    I came over to the UK to see my dad in hospital and popped out for a few hours to see Notts at home to Preston in the mid-2010s. We lost 1-0 in front of a few thousand hardy souls on a cold March night and it felt like the beginning of the end for the club (this was in L1 under the Trews). Compared to then, things feel a lot rosier now.

6. Funniest moment
    Gary Owers dropping to his knees and mimicking short-ass Paul Evans (sp? A midfielder who went on to play for Forest, I think) after the latter had been sent off for Brentford against us. We won 2-0 and Owers almost started a riot.

Toss up between Iain McCulloch and Tommy Johnson.

Luck of the Irish. And also because Forest had a group of hooligan fans in the late 70s (led by Paul Scarrott) and my dad wanted to go somewhere safe.

9. Sum up how you feel about Notts in 3 words
    Pain is inevitable (and to complete the runner's mantra - suffering is optional).

1. First game and any memories of it:

15th January 1949 vs Newport County.....Won 11-1
    I remember, what seemed to me, a very big crowd (I think it was 26000). I went with my aunt from Bolton; she was a "Trotters" fan, and wanted to compare Tommy Lawton with her hero Nat Lofthouse. She admitted that she was pleasantly impressed.
    Don't remember a lot, apart from how noisy the crowd was, and the constant cheering. I was 6 years old,and it was my first matchday experience.

2. Best performance you've been to (or listened to if you can't get to games):

I think the above was it. Never seen Notts score 11 goals since!

3. Worst performance:

Any match with Guy Branston playing.

4. Best moment as a Notts supporter:

Flying, with the team, to Workington (via Carlisle). I have flown with them to other matches, but that was the best.
    Also, being the Club Tannoy announcer in the 1960's

5. Worst moment:

Seeing what an absolute idiot that fool Hardy made of himself / dropping out of the league....take your choice.

6. Funniest moment:

On the flight to the Workington match...the flight stewardess asking Don Masson: is that person was anybody important?..pointing at Tony Hateley
    No, said Don, he just thinks he is!

7. The player you've enjoyed the most (not necessarily the best):

Without a doubt Peter Russell....the original "Big, Ugly" centre half.
    After Peter we had a card school on Thursday night at Geoff Ball's house.Personal friends include Alex Gibson,Geoff Ball,
    Bob Worthington & Mick Rose.

8. How you came to be a Notts supporter:

Already touched on this one........No immediate family member.....Just a curious aunt From Bolton.

9. Sum up how you feel about Notts in 3 words:

Until I Die.

Alex Gibson (I know) is no longer with us.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast