+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh the irony

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    No ifs about it, exactly the type we needed and need
    Maybe look at the previous "maybes" on the thread.

On a separate note, yes exactly what we need especially away from the Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstripy View Post
    Former Birmingham player Davis, 31, played 32 times for League One side Shrewsbury last season.

He began his career with Wolverhampton Wanderers and first played for the team in 2011. He spent time on loan at Shrewsbury, Inverness and Chesterfield before joining Birmingham in 2014, going on to make 182 appearances for the Blues before returning to the Shrews in January 2021.

"David is a player who brings lots of experience. He is a midfielder who can command the game physically and is a genuine leader on the pitch," Burchnall added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61841022

All the time Burch was with us he would not bring in a player like Davis.
    seems there is a lot of speculation that he is the kind of player we have been crying out for ?Now that being said has anyone actually seen him play ? if so was he any good and was he the missing link we have desired ? Or are we just getting over excited because he says he is a physical player ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wasn't talking about David Davis, I was talking about the type of player he appears to be.

Burchnall has signed him, but he never signed that type for us!
    Whether it was Ian Burchnall or Football Radar who didn't previously recognise the need for a big, aggressive, physically dominant midfielder, I'm looking for our summer recruitment to show we've recognised it now. In fact, we need two midfield signings of that type, either to play together or cover for each other in that respect.

Matt Palmer proved himself to be a fine midfielder and Jim O'Brien will always give us everything he's got, but overall there was a glaring weakness in our midfield last season in terms of athleticism, physicality and height, particularly when it came to defending and winning battles. If we don't address that problem, we won't be any better than last season, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Whether it was Ian Burchnall or Football Radar who didn't previously recognise the need for a big, aggressive, physically dominant midfielder, I'm looking for our summer recruitment to show we've recognised it now. In fact, we need two midfield signings of that type, either to play together or cover for each other in that respect.

Matt Palmer proved himself to be a fine midfielder and Jim O'Brien will always give us everything he's got, but overall there was a glaring weakness in our midfield last season in terms of athleticism, physicality and height, particularly when it came to defending and winning battles. If we don't address that problem, we won't be any better than last season, it's as simple as that.
    Amen to that - someone in his mid-20s who’s got plenty of experience of lower-league football but is still hungry and at the peak of his athleticism.

Sums up my views perfectly.

Spot on Jackal.

The Davis signing at FGR though poses and interesting question. Did IB know all along a player like this was required but his views weren’t shared or has he learnt from last season? If it was the latter then you’d hope that learning was collective and there would be that type of player on the Notts shopping list too. If you consider Mo Ross was acutely aware that’s what we needed and none arrived, you’d have to remain concerned it’s the former. And while I’m very supportive of how things are being done, if that is the case that’s a step too far for me.

Jackal is on fire. If you don't sort out the midfield you don't get promoted.

There has been a glaring weakness in that area for far longer than just last season. We've not had the right balance and been effective there for far too long.

Pretty much what I was saying, but you said it better and in more detail.

Whilst being supportive of the brothers in every way since they came to the club, if it is the case that IB knew what we needed but was prevented from satisfying that need by the brothers' philosophy, then my support would be severely tested.
    It does seem incredible though, to think so many armchair coaches can see a problem and want it fixed, but owners who have made improvements all over the club, funded with their own money, cannot see, or will not fix said problem due to their beliefs.
    For my sanity, let's hope they recognised the problem, and will sign a player/s to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Whilst being supportive of the brothers in every way since they came to the club, if it is the case that IB knew what we needed but was prevented from satisfying that need by the brothers' philosophy, then my support would be severely tested.
    It does seem incredible though, to think so many armchair coaches can see a problem and want it fixed, but owners who have made improvements all over the club, funded with their own money, cannot see, or will not fix said problem due to their beliefs.
    For my sanity, let's hope they recognised the problem, and will sign a player/s to fix it.
    It's not new though is it? In recent (post Munto) there was a constant failure to play Liddle in the middle or to drop Steady Eddy resulting in adverse results.

Something must happen in training or we're failing to see a bigger picture Seems to happen at all levels too.

If the stats don't show weaknesses in the midfield then either they aren't as we think or the data is wrong.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast