+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not just Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    You need to think before you put any daft comments on here about rugby Union. For the past few months I’ve been getting up early to watch Super Rugby Pasifika from down under and it’s been fantastic to watch. When you compare that level with what is being served up in the Northern Hemisphere you wouldn’t think it was the same game. You and I both have World Cups to look forward to soon . Let’s hope we are both happy with what we will be watching. I will also be watching some of the “league” games with interest. Each to their own , but please don’t just write off the “Union” game just because you are not one of its fans like I am.
    It's just what Alfie does Mal, mention Union to him and it's like waving a red rag at a bull, but he doesn't mean any harm. I just give him a bit of humpty-dumpty back, he likes that.

You need to think before you put any daft comments on here about rugby Union. For the past few months I’ve been getting up early to watch Super Rugby Pasifika from down under and it’s been fantastic to watch. When you compare that level with what is being served up in the Northern Hemisphere you wouldn’t think it was the same game. You and I both have World Cups to look forward to soon . Let’s hope we are both happy with what we will be watching. I will also be watching some of the “league” games with interest. Each to their own , but please don’t just write off the “Union” game just because you are not one of its fans like I am.
    Nothing daft about it Mal,League is a much faster flowing game than Yawnion and you only need to count up to six to understand the game unlike Union which has more laws than anything. The term kick and clap does really cover all that's to be said about Yawnion.

Each to their own though Mal.You keep watching Yawnion and I'll keep watching League.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Nothing daft about it Mal,League is a much faster flowing game than Yawnion and you only need to count up to six to understand the game unlike Union which has more laws than anything. The term kick and clap does really cover all that's to be said about Yawnion.

Each to their own though Mal.You keep watching Yawnion and I'll keep watching League.
    Agree with you alf, I played both about 56 years ago and the Union was so much stop and start, resetting scrums, sorting the line for a lineout, rucks and mauls etc., etc. and then get blown up for some obscure penalty, I found it boring to play the game so won't waste time watching it. It has about as much appeal to me as darts or snooker, which I also don't watch.
    Fair crack to those who do enjoy those games, however, certainly not to my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    you only need to count up to six to understand the game
    I always wondered why you M62ers had six fingers.

I still can't get over watching Clitheroe on the Widnes RL ground and finding they had floodlights. Who knew ?

Part of an interesting article by Alexander Wolf in FluentRugby.

"O’Sullivan analysed a match between Munster and Saracens. There were a total of 17 scrums. On Munster’s put in the average scrum time was 74 seconds while on Saracens’ put in the average scrum time was 55 seconds. This took the total of match time dedicated to scrums to a whopping 20mins.
    The Munster and Saracens game wasn’t some crazy outlier. Munster averages 15 scrums a game. And during Ireland’s campaign in the 2019 Six Nations the national side averaged almost 13 scrums a match............"

"............The referee’s clock is usually kept running during a rugby union match and only stops because of injuries or when waiting for the video referee’s decision. This may annoy some fans as lots of time is lost at lineouts and scrums but they fail to realise that if the referee stopped the clock for every scrum and lineout the game could easily last for 3 hours, exhausting both player and spectator."

As is plain to see, the Rugby Union fans are being cheated big time because their games are basically around less than half the length that they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Part of an interesting article by Alexander Wolf in FluentRugby.

"O’Sullivan analysed a match between Munster and Saracens. There were a total of 17 scrums. On Munster’s put in the average scrum time was 74 seconds while on Saracens’ put in the average scrum time was 55 seconds. This took the total of match time dedicated to scrums to a whopping 20mins.
    The Munster and Saracens game wasn’t some crazy outlier. Munster averages 15 scrums a game. And during Ireland’s campaign in the 2019 Six Nations the national side averaged almost 13 scrums a match............"

"............The referee’s clock is usually kept running during a rugby union match and only stops because of injuries or when waiting for the video referee’s decision. This may annoy some fans as lots of time is lost at lineouts and scrums but they fail to realise that if the referee stopped the clock for every scrum and lineout the game could easily last for 3 hours, exhausting both player and spectator."

As is plain to see, the Rugby Union fans are being cheated big time because their games are basically around less than half the length that they should be.
    You're spot on Sub, the big problem with Union is the set piece scrum. They've known about it for years, but it seems beyond the wit of the games administrators to do anything about it, so it seems something you just have to live with if you enjoy Union, as I do.

I wonder if the players are even aware of the time it takes up though. In the recent France v England game, we got a pen right under the posts and France had a player sent to the bin for 10 minutes, we were behind, but even so it seemed a no-brainer to kick the 3 points and play 15-14 for ten minutes. Instead we went for a scrum and a possible 7 points. The French knew exactly what to do, they dawdled setting the scrum up, and then made sure it collapsed, this scrum pantomime continued for about three minutes before they knicked the ball off us and hoofed it upfield. We now had a line out on the halfway line and France had less than 7 minutes to play a man down.

I was bemused, did our players not know how much time a scrum can take up, especially when the other team are intent on running the clock. It seems not.

They won’t be that bad again, especially with their players from both Saracens and Leicester to come back. I am expecting them to do well in Australia snd at the upcoming World Cup.
    Surely they can't be that bad again, and they will be stronger, but a bit like with the football team, this result had been coming, we've been going backwards for a while now, I can't remember the last time we looked like potential World Cup winners. To be honest the England team in the last 12 months has been rubbish, and there are no signs of improvement. Some foreign pundit asked during the game, 'who is the English defence coach ?', he couldn't believe how bad we were.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)