+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Millers set to sign Lincoln defender

It is a matter of opinion whether it is perceived as disrespectful, I think moving from a Championship Rotherham United to a league 1 Sheffield Wednesday is disrespectful, he knows the feeling that Rotherham fans have for SW, he knows how it will play out as does Smudge and Vaulks if they do the same, that is fine it is their decision but they cannot expect it to go down well or for them to be welcomed by Rotherham fans, decisions have consequences. You are correct it is purely a money decision, but it tells you a lot about the person and a persons values when they make such a decision. In the past I had to make a career decision that had significant financial rewards but there was a moral element to that decision, I took a moral road and I am glad I did. This doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else, I am just saying that I have faced a similar decision. As i said it is a personal opinion about how you take such a decision, I won't show them any welcome if they return to the NY, you can do what you want, we are all free to decide

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I think we have to trust the research work that the recruitment team do and the views of PW and management. We need players in and through the door, to prepare for a hard season. Work on the 80/20 rule with 80% being good decisions and they will have done well. What wont suit us is delays in getting the core squad assembled and having a full pre-season together. The Smith and Icky situation is ridiculous now and being held hostage by the pair of them isn't good for the club. The end of June contract date is totally irrelevant, that is purely related to the existing contract, as far as the club know they will not be Rotherham players on the 1st July, that has to be the working assumption. The offers made to them should have an expiry date and that should have passed by now, the club sets that date NOT the players
    Personally, I would rather the club maintain in dialogue and communication with Smudge with the hope that the back and forth / ironing out of details in the deal culminates with us retaining a player who has been brilliant for us. And can be for another 3 years (or whatever the length of the contract ends up being). I would rather that than your brash approach of 'this is the offer, sign it or bugger off' which is far more likely to hurt the club through losing a key player. It is a business decision and a big one for the club and player alike. Let them iron out and converse over issues that either side has with what the other wants, nothing wrong with that. There is no need to sh1t our pants about it or claim that the player is holding us hostage and all those hyperbolic comments.

An extra week of negotiations to potentially keep our star striker for 3 years? Yes please.

The club are demonstrating that they are working on other targets still (such as Bramall) and the squad will begin to flesh out soon.

More of an indictment of modern society and those that simply cannot wait. Everything has to have been done yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Personally, I would rather the club maintain in dialogue and communication with Smudge with the hope that the back and forth / ironing out of details in the deal culminates with us retaining a player who has been brilliant for us. And can be for another 3 years (or whatever the length of the contract ends up being). I would rather that than your brash approach of 'this is the offer, sign it or bugger off' which is far more likely to hurt the club through losing a key player. It is a business decision and a big one for the club and player alike. Let them iron out and converse over issues that either side has with what the other wants, nothing wrong with that. There is no need to sh1t our pants about it or claim that the player is holding us hostage and all those hyperbolic comments.

An extra week of negotiations to potentially keep our star striker for 3 years? Yes please.

The club are demonstrating that they are working on other targets still (such as Bramall) and the squad will begin to flesh out soon.

More of an indictment of modern society and those that simply cannot wait. Everything has to have been done yesterday.
    Totally agree with everything you've said there.

Thank goodness the days of the Evans revolving door policy have gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    It is a matter of opinion whether it is perceived as disrespectful, I think moving from a Championship Rotherham United to a league 1 Sheffield Wednesday is disrespectful, he knows the feeling that Rotherham fans have for SW, he knows how it will play out as does Smudge and Vaulks if they do the same, that is fine it is their decision but they cannot expect it to go down well or for them to be welcomed by Rotherham fans, decisions have consequences. You are correct it is purely a money decision, but it tells you a lot about the person and a persons values when they make such a decision. In the past I had to make a career decision that had significant financial rewards but there was a moral element to that decision, I took a moral road and I am glad I did. This doesn't make me any better or worse than anyone else, I am just saying that I have faced a similar decision. As i said it is a personal opinion about how you take such a decision, I won't show them any welcome if they return to the NY, you can do what you want, we are all free to decide
    Having made a moral decision that cost me/my family in the region of 400-500K I can assure you that 25 years on from doing so I'm still questioning (regretting?) that decision on a regular basis. Just because a decision is made on the basis of morals it doesn't necessarily make it a good one and after all we are only talking about which football club someone plays for, despite what Shankly said, it's not life or death.

Would prefer Ike not to sign for Wednesday and prob wouldn't applaud on his return for his decision, especially dropping down a league. But it is a short career and if the money is much better over a 3 year contract and kids remain in the same school/family in same area and settled. There will doubtless be a lot of that in his and his family's thinking.

So bottom line, I'd understand him signing but wouldn't see it as an affront in any way. Good luck to him personally, he's done great for us, but wouldn't wish him promotion with his new team.

What's with these long posts nothing better to do! Mods limit them to say 100 words. Vaulks his last major contract he'll be after best deal he can get. Football isn't like it was there's no loyalty if you've got what clubs are looking for will pay price for that they are going to take it. I just thank Vaulks for the 3 seasons he was with us he's a leader gives his all. Chioe will do same what you going to say about him? That's football today I haven't got a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    What's with these long posts nothing better to do! Mods limit them to say 100 words.
    Just because you can barely string a sentence together doesn't mean other people should stop posting intelligent and well thought out opinions. You should try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    What's with these long posts nothing better to do! Mods limit them to say 100 words. Vaulks his last major contract he'll be after best deal he can get. Football isn't like it was there's no loyalty if you've got what clubs are looking for will pay price for that they are going to take it. I just thank Vaulks for the 3 seasons he was with us he's a leader gives his all. Chioe will do same what you going to say about him? That's football today I haven't got a problem with it.
    Why ruin the surprise? Okay everyone, gru has asked around to see if some of us would be interested in a MillersMad book club. I know, staggering, but he has to occupy his magic eye somehow when not scouting the next J Lamy. Anyway, I can exclusively reveal that he has emptied his library of literary classics and will decide, from this shortlist, which we shall tackle first....

Name:  $_86.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  100.3 KB

All of Gru's literary heroes in one place, quite beautiful really.

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Why ruin the surprise? Okay everyone, gru has asked around to see if some of us would be interested in a MillersMad book club. I know, staggering, but he has to occupy his magic eye somehow when not scouting the next J Lamy. Anyway, I can exclusively reveal that he has emptied his library of literary classics and will decide, from this shortlist, which we shall tackle first....

Name:  $_86.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  100.3 KB

All of Gru's literary heroes in one place, quite beautiful really.
    And every one of them posts here on MM under one guise or another (I see that aptly there are 2 Mr. Greedys)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast