+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: An interesting distinction

An interesting distinction

has just been made on 5Live between us being the richest club in the world and having the richest owners...and it's a fair point.

Yes, our owners are the richest but, until our revenue streams increase, we're not the richest club and I think that's going to come as a blow to some of our...less cerebrally-blessed brethren...especially the Twitter knackers who think we're in for the big name players.

Mind, that's social media-none of the people I speak to are thinking like that.

I was actually going to make this thread about Don Hutchison who had suggested we should go for Raheem Sterling until the host said he didn't think we were quite at that level of player yet-made a couple of really reasonable points about how we might be in a few years time but that Sterling's wages alone would be triple what any of our squad are currently on and that Chelsea would be a more likely destination.

And on that point, Sterling is the most overrated player in the Prem, imo. Wouldn't want him here.

Thoughts?

After the Russian World Cup, Sterling improved a lot. Last season he seemed to have dropped off bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    has just been made on 5Live between us being the richest club in the world and having the richest owners...and it's a fair point.

Yes, our owners are the richest but, until our revenue streams increase, we're not the richest club and I think that's going to come as a blow to some of our...less cerebrally-blessed brethren...especially the Twitter knackers who think we're in for the big name players.

Mind, that's social media-none of the people I speak to are thinking like that.

I was actually going to make this thread about Don Hutchison who had suggested we should go for Raheem Sterling until the host said he didn't think we were quite at that level of player yet-made a couple of really reasonable points about how we might be in a few years time but that Sterling's wages alone would be triple what any of our squad are currently on and that Chelsea would be a more likely destination.

And on that point, Sterling is the most overrated player in the Prem, imo. Wouldn't want him here.

Thoughts?
    Aye fair point Zip!

The fact is that the league and Uefa tightening the financial grip to make it harder for teams like us to challenged their darlings Juve, Real, Manure, PSG (ehhhhh how do they keep getting away with their outrageous spending?) etc it is pretty clear that we CAN NOT and WOULD NOT go for these players on 3,4,500,000£ a week salaries.

Moreover whilst the PiF have bought us to transfer us from a £305M club into a £4-5B club. Chelsea, Man City & PSG have gone from £305M clubs into a £4-5B clubs.

Rome wasn't built in a day, plus we now have more restrictions today than every before on spending we need box cleaver with spending.

Amanda stated 'It's a project & we (fans) have to trust the process'.

Mehrdad Ghodoussi said 'patience is a virtue'.

We need to respect what they are doing behind the scenes.

Fact is NO ONE KNOWS what is happening. These owners are either Arabic from the GCC in terms of PiF & Amanda's PCP partners have worked here in the gulf for decades. The Ruben's are also a family/company of discreet respectful business men.

Here in Qatar / the gulf EVERYTHING, every project is subject to NDAs and NC/NDAs. All of our business will be subject to NDAs.

All the rumours in the press and on the internet is basically agents and journalists self-propagating. They barely have a clue what they are talking about.

Agent's will WhatsApp a Journo.
    Journo's then have a 'source'.
    The agent can then go back to the club his player is start to talk about a new contract etc.

That is 'in a nut shell' football rumours.

I like to read the gossip but I take football rumours as seriously as Coronation Street being real life!

Not at all. I do like The Toon Review transfer shows, they report on the gossip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESw7TorxrHo but take pragmatic approach to it.

They show the player, show his stats & then discuss if the player would fit into Howe's/our system and they give an opinion on if they want a player or not.

That's all. Good banter and no one is an ITK!

I don't want Sterling although he is a good player.

I like what the club are doing in going for Botman and Ekitike, young with huge potential and who might be lifting trophies with us 3 or 4 years from now....perhaps sooner if we over-achieve

Couldnt ask for easier tie on day 1. Should be 3 easy points but then you lot love to make life difficult for yourselves.
    Instead of winning 2-0 easy. You go and slog for a 1-0 win and get very nerrvy

In their own right, Trippier and Targett are as good in their positions as Sterling is in his, and dare I say it, more consistent and these are the sort of players we need to build on.

Granted they are older and have less time to offer but they have been brought in for the here and now and this is where we are at present.

Obviously, E.H. et al are going to go for the young flair player if he's going for a reasonable price so a mixture of these and a steady rational build-up is what we need, and I feel what we will get.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)