+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual squad thread

Think we still need a big striker for plan B a big box to box midfielder in the mould Of Ryan Yates a keeper and cover for the wing backs some of these could be loan deals and that's assuming we keep Cal and Ruben

For me number 1 is a battling, hard tackling box to box midfielder ala Ryan Yates, a tall composed CB perhaps the lad from Kidderminster, Brooks or another keeper and a tall, hold the ball up, ugly in the box striker who creates chaos in the box from set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by pjace View Post
    Think we still need a big striker for plan B a big box to box midfielder in the mould Of Ryan Yates a keeper and cover for the wing backs some of these could be loan deals and that's assuming we keep Cal and Ruben
    What if he doesn’t play with wing backs?At this point all speculation of what we need is precisely that.
    If the new head coach settles on a 4-4-2 then wing backs are redundant.
    If the new head coach decides we are never going long, then a target man is irrelevant.
    At this stage what we need is if, bits and maybes.
    I just hope we don’t do what we did at the start of last season, playing with wing backs not fit for purpose.

Very glad Chicksen has signed up. Like others have said a big no 9, strong combative midfielder and I think we need a first choice keeper. Slocombe won't improve and was very shaky at times last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    What if he doesn’t play with wing backs?At this point all speculation of what we need is precisely that.
    If the new head coach settles on a 4-4-2 then wing backs are redundant.
    If the new head coach decides we are never going long, then a target man is irrelevant.
    At this stage what we need is if, bits and maybes.
    I just hope we don’t do what we did at the start of last season, playing with wing backs not fit for purpose.
    He said in that interview tonight that he doesn't have a preferred formation, and will go with the strengths of the squad.

Be interesting to see how he puts all the pieces together

Quote Originally Posted by SaltySeaDog View Post
    He said in that interview tonight that he doesn't have a preferred formation, and will go with the strengths of the squad.

Be interesting to see how he puts all the pieces together
    Which is what any half decent manager/coach would do. What’s the point of playing wingbacks if we don’t have them..?

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Which is what any half decent manager/coach would do. What’s the point of playing wingbacks if we don’t have them..?
    It didn’t stop Burchnall. Would hate to see us go through the same crap again

Why the **** don't we start on the defence like all good teams do?

We can sign all the strikers we want but IF THE DEFENSE IS **** WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE.

The midfield is not strong or combative enough.We are physically weak.

Too easy to play against...the same old problems.

I don't see any change...mark my words.

I have said it time and time again until I am blue in the ****ing face

Different manager...same issues and he can't see it!!!
    Last edited by Eastcoastultra1977; 21-06-2022 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastultra1977 View Post
    We can sign all the strikers we want but IF THE DEFENSE IS **** WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE.

The midfield is not strong or combative enough. We are physically weak.
    Very true. Aden Baldwin may be a fine player and comes in at 6ft tall, but I'm still looking for that really big Graeme Lee / Colin Foster / Anders Jacobsen-type centre-half to completely dominate the box.

And yes, the midfield looks seriously under-strength, especially when you consider that the most competitive player in there will be 35 in September, not very big, and used to be a winger.

No problem at all with the signings today, but for me the key additions we need aren't in place yet. At the moment I see a team that will again score plenty of goals, but still has a very soft underbelly. We need some big, nasty dressing-room leaders in midfield and defence who can effectively be the minders for the more talented individuals in the squad.

It doesn't mean abandoning passing, attacking football, because even the Vinnie Jones' and David Batty's of this world could manage a five or ten yard pass to a more gifted player once they had won the ball, but without that edge to the team, our main contenders will be smiling behind their hands again.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Very true. Aden Baldwin may be a fine player and comes in at 6ft tall, but I'm still looking for that really big Graeme Lee / Colin Foster / Anders Jacobsen-type centre-half to completely dominate the box.

And yes, the midfield looks seriously under-strength, especially when you consider that the most competitive player in there will be 35 in September, not very big, and used to be a winger.

No problem at all with the signings today, but for me the key additions we need aren't in place yet. At the moment I see a team that will again score plenty of goals, but still has a very soft underbelly. We need some big, nasty dressing-room leaders in midfield and defence who can effectively be the minders for the more talented individuals in the squad.

It doesn't mean abandoning passing, attacking football, because even the Vinnie Jones' and David Batty's of this world could manage a five or ten yard pass to a more gifted player once they had won the ball, but without that edge to the team, our main contenders will be smiling behind their hands again.
    I’m not as convinced as others that we need more CB’s. We have 4 that are all more than decent for this league. Rawlinson can be the horrible CB we crave, he just struggled with the 500 passes he would need to make under the old coach. As for Baldwin being 6ft, it’s almost irrelevant if he has good defensive movement, a good and well timed leap. I’ve seen players at 6ft 5in who can’t get off the ground.
    As for a combative midfielder. That IS a player we are drastically in need of. One with height, physicality and so much energy.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast