+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual squad thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastultra1977 View Post
    Why the **** don't we start on the defence like all good teams do?

We can sign all the strikers we want but IF THE DEFENSE IS **** WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE.

The midfield is not strong or combative enough.We are physically weak.

Too easy to play against...the same old problems.

I don't see any change...mark my words.

I have said it time and time again until I am blue in the ****ing face

Different manager...same issues and he can't see it!!!
    A lot of that would make sense if the new manager hadn't arrived only one week ago and since then has brought in a central defender that he knows well from former club(s).

If you are going to criticise and point the finger of blame then at least aim it at the recruitment team for identifying and signing a striking partnership from Gateshead that presumably LW knew nothing about and including one that was signed well before the new head coach arrived.

It's well documented and most but clearly not all fans are now aware how the recruitment works at the club.

Agree with you and many that we are far too nice to play against, need more steel as we have plenty of silk,.and desperately require or more combative and strong central midfield.

It's so clear that we need:

- Another big CB
    - At leat one ball-winning beast in CM
    - A big forward who can hold it up and win headers

Without those three, we're looking seriously weak regardless of all the talent in the squad.

I don't think we need to break the bank either. There are loads of big strikers at this level who are effective without being spectacular.

Is it at all possible that Cameron or Brindley could play alongside Palmer? That could mean we only have to sign 1 CB beast, and a target option as a CF to change a game and go long. Are we really discounting Ed Francis for the CM role?

I know LW said he doesnt necessarily prefer any formation but, with the players we have even more so now, a 4-2-3-1 looks to make sense.

Slocombe,

RB - Rowling, CB - Brindley/Cameron or new signing, CB - Baldwin, LB - Chicksen

CM - Palmer CM Brindley/Cameron or new signing.

The 3 right to left - Roberts, Rodrigues, Langstaff.

CF - Scott or new signing

If we keep both RR and CR then this suits our squad best I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    Is it at all possible that Cameron or Brindley could play alongside Palmer?
    Possibly, but we are now at exactly the right time of year to ensure we get the player the side was crying out for last season, the club just have to find him and convince him to join. I just hope Notts recognise the need for such a player as much as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    Is it at all possible that Cameron or Brindley could play alongside Palmer? That could mean we only have to sign 1 CB beast, and a target option as a CF to change a game and go long. Are we really discounting Ed Francis for the CM role?

I know LW said he doesnt necessarily prefer any formation but, with the players we have even more so now, a 4-2-3-1 looks to make sense.

Slocombe,

RB - Rowling, CB - Brindley/Cameron or new signing, CB - Baldwin, LB - Chicksen

CM - Palmer CM Brindley/Cameron or new signing.

The 3 right to left - Roberts, Rodrigues, Langstaff.

CF - Scott or new signing

If we keep both RR and CR then this suits our squad best I feel.
    Cameron is one of our best players. It makes no sense to play him out of position unless we have to.

Also, is Langstaff a winger/forward? I assumed he and Scott played as a front two last season.

In terms of Ed Francis, he didn't really show enough last season to warrant a starting role in midfield. He must have something about him to have captained Man City under 21s, but he's not the dominant, energetic midfielder we need.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It's so clear that we need:

- Another big CB
    - At leat one ball-winning beast in CM
    - A big forward who can hold it up and win headers

Without those three, we're looking seriously weak regardless of all the talent in the squad.

I don't think we need to break the bank either. There are loads of big strikers at this level who are effective without being spectacular.
    A ball winning spoiler in central midfield is someone who I would really like us to sign. They don’t have to be the most creative for me as they will have others around them to do that. First and foremost they’ve got to win their individual battle most times and break up the oppositions attack in that central midfield and transition quickly to our attack by either passing it forward into space or out wide more times than not.

They need to be the ones who are going to dig in and motivate us to get us the wins away at lesser opposition on cold nights in Nov and Jan. No nonsense, no glamour.

They might not need to be our captain but for me they need to be captain material or have been captain at their previous club as well. Someone who is going to dominate the midfield. Around mid twenties with experience of this league or league two or one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastultra1977 View Post
    Why the **** don't we start on the defence like all good teams do?

We can sign all the strikers we want but IF THE DEFENSE IS **** WE AIN'T GOING NOWHERE.

The midfield is not strong or combative enough.We are physically weak.

Too easy to play against...the same old problems.

I don't see any change...mark my words.

I have said it time and time again until I am blue in the ****ing face

Different manager...same issues and he can't see it!!!
    Blimey I know you slate Notts at every opportunity but give the bloke time to get his foot in the door.
    Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    A ball winning spoiler in central midfield is someone who I would really like us to sign. They don’t have to be the most creative for me as they will have others around them to do that. First and foremost they’ve got to win their individual battle most times and break up the oppositions attack in that central midfield and transition quickly to our attack by either passing it forward into space or out wide more times than not.

They need to be the ones who are going to dig in and motivate us to get us the wins away at lesser opposition on cold nights in Nov and Jan. No nonsense, no glamour.

They might not need to be our captain but for me they need to be captain material or have been captain at their previous club as well. Someone who is going to dominate the midfield. Around mid twenties with experience of this league or league two or one.
    Agreed. And the same for the big striker. They don't have to have an incredible goalscoring record - we've got loads of players now who can weigh in with goals. We just need someone who can hold the ball up, win aerial battles, and give us another dimension up front. Most teams in the NL have a player like that.

Being able to hold the ball up, make it stick and maintain team possession is a hugely underrated attribute amongst football fans IMO

It’s time for the beast. Get Akinfenwa out of retirement. Chasing game and need something to happen, I’d be more optimistic with a 40yr Akinfenwa than Kairo Mitchell

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast