+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pope has gone

Kompany must have known what he was getting into, so presumably he has a plan and signings in his sights.

Still it's the end of an era.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Pope, Tarkowski, Mee, the heart of the 10th best defence in the Premier League, gone for not much more than £10 million, that's incompetence on an epic scale. Some people will be rubbing their hands, but it won't be our bank manager.
    Mee and Tarkowski being allowed to leave on free's was down to Dyche not Pace. We have both agreed previously it was bonkers bad business.

The Pope valuation is an odd one for sure. The trouble with Pope he is not s-e-x-y enough, he's not very marketable, Southgate doesn't fancy him, his kicking his poor by EPL standards, the media don't like him.

I'm glad he's going to work under Howe, he might now make the World Cup, if he had stayed here he would have had no chance.

Pope's happy, Hennessey and BPF will be delighted and our bank manager will sleep well until the next crisis hits us.

Now, what to do about Weghorst?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Mee and Tarkowski being allowed to leave on free's was down to Dyche not Pace. We have both agreed previously it was bonkers bad business.

The Pope valuation is an odd one for sure. The trouble with Pope he is not s-e-x-y enough, he's not very marketable, Southgate doesn't fancy him, his kicking his poor by EPL standards, the media don't like him.

I'm glad he's going to work under Howe, he might now make the World Cup, if he had stayed here he would have had no chance.

Pope's happy, Hennessey and BPF will be delighted and our bank manager will sleep well until the next crisis hits us.

Now, what to do about Weghorst?
    If I’m honest BT I’d sell him accept the loss and move on if we could get 7/8 million for him I’d do it , doesn’t want to be here and in truth he was brought to score the goals that saved us and he didn’t / couldn’t deliver in a league that’s better than people think it is.
    We’re only delaying the inevitable ie if we go up first time he’d be back , but is he even a Vk player would he suit the style etc etc .?

Imo anyway I’d advertise him as for sale and get the money for Vincent to use.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    If I’m honest BT I’d sell him accept the loss and move on if we could get 7/8 million for him I’d do it , doesn’t want to be here and in truth he was brought to score the goals that saved us and he didn’t / couldn’t deliver in a league that’s better than people think it is.
    We’re only delaying the inevitable ie if we go up first time he’d be back , but is he even a Vk player would he suit the style etc etc .?

Imo anyway I’d advertise him as for sale and get the money for Vincent to use.
    Agreed army88, the lad is not exactly made of stern stuff is he? I see no point whatsoever in loaning him out - get shut and grab a fee.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Pace runs the club, not the manager or any players, nothing happens without Pace agreeing to it. The manager might have wanted to keep Tarkowski, the player might have wanted to stay, none of it matters, if Pace had decided we needed to sell him, he would have been sold, but Pace decided to go along with what Dyche wanted, which was a huge mistake, the results of which can now be seen. Relegated into the Championship and huge debts staring us in the face.

The buck starts and stops with the man making the decisions.

I would have liked to see Nick Pope stay with us, but it makes sense for him wanting to stay in the premier league The size of the transfer fee is a little disappointing.

Wout Weghorst is another matter, he clearly thinks that championship football is beneath him, yet it was his lack of scoring that partly lead to our relegation. If I was Alan Pace there is no way I would consider a loan he should be looking to get shut for as much as possible. Weghorst refusing to shake hands with Connor Robert at the end of their international match will not lead to the togetherness that is required in the dressing room at Turf Moor.

Before make a final judgement on Alan Pace and our transfer situation, I would like to see who our team consists of and what we are playing like over the first few games of next season.

The most worrying thing about the Pope fee is that it co-incides, more or less, with the Transfermarket valuation of him, which our very own OC used to swear by. I find them often totally unrealistic, bizarre at times, but the media use them, and OC used to say that some clubs use them as well. God help us if Pace is going off their valuations, we're going to lose out big style, but he has little knowledge or experience of the English transfer market, so maybe he is.

Good luck to Pope, he will hopefully make the World Cup squad and if Pickford isn’t fit who knows, I doubt he would make the squad as a championship player, has done a great job for BFC I wish him well.

Two years ago Bournemouth sold Ramsdale and Ake for a combined total of £60 million, we lose Pope and Tarkowski for not much more than £10 million.

After we pay the £15 million off the loan, we will have £50 million outstanding, which is just the difference between what Bournemouth got for Ake and Ramsdale, and what we got for Pope and Tarkowski. Just saying like.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Two years ago Bournemouth sold Ramsdale and Ake for a combined total of £60 million, we lose Pope and Tarkowski for not much more than £10 million.

After we pay the £15 million off the loan, we will have £50 million outstanding, which is just the difference between what Bournemouth got for Ake and Ramsdale, and what we got for Pope and Tarkowski. Just saying like.
    Stop now mon ami. Nobody disagreed with you that it's bad business. I think to get a better gauge of how Pace operates we need to see what returns he gets from players bought and sanctioned by him.

We won't have to wait long mon ami, Collins is next up for a flight on "Do One Airlines".

Attachment 21990

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)