+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dundee United Managers - Win %

Dundee United Managers - Win %

Something I've been keen to have a look at for a while is our managers overall win % since the Jim Mclean era ended.

So after a bit of digging on Arab Archive, I gathered the below info:

Premiership (top division) only -

Jim McLean - 48.2% wins from 1115 games (537)

Jackie McNamara - 42.9% wins from 119 games (51)
    Peter Houston - 42% wins from 150 games (63)
    Craig Levein - 40.1% wins from 137 games (55)
    Tommy McLean - 38.7% wins from 93 games (36)
    Tam Courts - 38.3% wins from 47 games (18)
    Ivan Golac - 33% wins from 94 games (31)
    Micky Mellon - 32.6% wins from 46 games (15)
    Paul Sturrock - 31.8% wins from 85 games (27)
    Alex Smith - 31.3% wins from 99 games (31)
    Ian McCall - 30.8% wins from 91 games (28)
    Gordon Chisholm - 27.8% wins from 36 games (10)
    Mixu Paatelainen - 26.7% wins from 30 games (8)
    Paul Hegarty - 23.5% wins from 17 games (4)
    Craig Brewster - 10% wins from 30 games (3)

The only manager since the JYM era ended to manage the club in both the top and 2nd tier:

Billy Kirkwood - 47.5% wins from 61 games (29)

Championship only:

Robbie Neilson - 57.1% wins from 70 games (40)
    Ray McKinnon - 51.4% wins from 72 games (37)
    Csaba Laszlo - 40% wins from 36 games (15)

Some interesting numbers in there I reckon. Not many surprises though. Highlights the sheer mammoth quality of what Jim McLean did for us during his time. That win % across anything over 100 top flight games will likely never be matched again, but lets hope it does one day.

Separated out the managers that we had in the Championship/1st Division as the numbers are obviously skewed.

It's a shame that the three lowest win percentages are for 2 club legends and a cult hero but there we go, most likely the same at many clubs. I didn't expect Brewster's record to be so bad. I think I tried to blank that time from my memory. However, he did sign Sir Craig Conway so all is forgiven on my side anyway.

McNamara being having the highest win % after Jim is something most will be aware of (because he never stopped talking about it) and just hammers home the devastation that he never managed to bag a trophy with one of the most talented group of players any United manager has had since Jim left.

Time will obviously tell where Jack Ross ends up placing in this list. If he can hit the 40% or above I'm sure he'll mostly be considered a success once he moves on.

Eh’m no seeing Billy Dodds 100% record up there so I demand a recount

Wonder what Mcintyres percentage was at the Theatre of Disappointment

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Ten-in-a-row and DOON-ye-go I believe.

Last edited by JamesMcClean; 22-06-2022 at 06:18 PM.

12.9%

Quote Originally Posted by BudMill90 View Post
    Something I've been keen to have a look at for a while is our managers overall win % since the Jim Mclean era ended.

The only manager since the JYM era ended to manage the club in both the top and 2nd tier:

Championship only:

Some interesting numbers in there I reckon. Not many surprises though. Highlights the sheer mammoth quality of what Jim McLean did for us during his time. That win % across anything over 100 top flight games will likely never be matched again, but lets hope it does one day.

Separated out the managers that we had in the Championship/1st Division as the numbers are obviously skewed.

It's a shame that the three lowest win percentages are for 2 club legends and a cult hero but there we go, most likely the same at many clubs. I didn't expect Brewster's record to be so bad. I think I tried to blank that time from my memory. However, he did sign Sir Craig Conway so all is forgiven on my side anyway.

McNamara being having the highest win % after Jim is something most will be aware of (because he never stopped talking about it) and just hammers home the devastation that he never managed to bag a trophy with one of the most talented group of players any United manager has had since Jim left.

Time will obviously tell where Jack Ross ends up placing in this list. If he can hit the 40% or above I'm sure he'll mostly be considered a success once he moves on.
    Good work Bud. Very interesting.
    But...I've always been a bit wary of win percentage stats. It doesn't include eg getting draws at difficult venues, injury setbacks, lack of available funds for players, etc. Quality of squad inherited and time given by Chairmen to build own team.
    Wonder where JR will end up on that list.

12.9%
    Twelve point nine?

Twelve point nine?

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡

Twelve point nine?

Twelve point nine?

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
    🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡🧡
    More like agent 007.

Love the stats

McNamara deserves more credit.

Likes of smith and Sturrock did well as there tough times there or when they took over

Championship only:

great work there. Very interesting indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by moicher View Post
    great work there. Very interesting indeed.
    one thing that is very clear is that that is way too many manager since McLean left. I really hope Jack can stay a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)