+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith and Icky are confirmed to be leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post
    Not sure about Ihiekwe but I can't see why Smith wouldn't want to play for Warney. Warne (and his coaching team) have really turned Smiths career round. Before he joined us he'd failed at numerous clubs and was rotting in Bury's reserves. Not long after he signed for us Bury ceased to exist, had Smith still been rotting in their reserves I dare say he'd have ended up playing non league.

Now of course this doesn't mean he owes a life debt to Warney or anything daft like that, but I'm sure Smith will recognise and appreciate just how much Warne and co have not only helped his career but as good as saved it.

So with that in mind my guess is that yesterday RUFC offered both players lucrative "final offer" contracts, that both responded favourably to. Cue Warney being confident they'll sign. But no doubt the agents will have been on the phone to S6 and Wedneday will have offered even more. Both players clearly knew that RUFC couldn't and wouldn't go any higher and wanted an immediate answer, so they made their choice.
    Correct DP, if TS had offered Smudge 20k a week no way would he have been pulling on a blue n white stripe shirt in 6 weeks time. UNLESS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post
    Very true.

I don't wish failure on either player but I just can't see them doing well there.
    Don’t follow what happens at S6, but which players are they replacing?

Or will they be benchwarmers?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    If it was a choice of either Stewart going or Warne going, for me it would be Cheerio Paul
    Then again your track record is not the best is it !!

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Then again your track record is not the best is it !!
    No, it isn’t ��

It will be interesting to see if Darren Moore can get the same level of application and effort out of Smudge and Icky that Warne did. Any failure to do so will raise questions about the quality of the manager in S6 compared to the genius at NYS!

Quote Originally Posted by South Coast Miller View Post
    Oh, come on, get real. All modern players are mercenaries. They live on short-term contracts, 2-3 years, and when they expire it's up to their agents to get them the best deal they can. Gone are the days of players like Trevor Swift (remember him?), local lads who just want to give their heart and soul to their home town club. Now they want to make what they can while they can before finishing in their mid to late thirties. Not sure I could have coped with that sort of pressure in my job, not knowing where I might be (if anywhere) in a couple of years time. They love the club they're playing for while they're there, give it their best shot, kiss the badge, etc but when a better offer comes along and they've got a family and a mortgage to sort they're off.
    SCM, very well put. When will fans get it, these two owe us nothing as they are both out of contract!
    To all the Smith and Icky haters, I'll put this to you. Stand in their shoes and have the dilemma to solve. Do you?

1. Stay loyal to RUFC who has trained you, cared for you, made you a better player and paid you a weekly wage for the last how many years. Then show the fans what a fantastic loyal player you are and it's everything RUFC running though your veins.

2. Let your agent, who YOU pay for, get you the best deal out there as it may well be your last, even though it means moving to a local rival.

3. At the end of the day, get the best pay you can while you can, no matter what the fans of the club you are about leave feel.

Number 3 for me all day long for me. I don't believe anyone who says they'd stay loyal and deny themselves/families hundreds of thousands of pounds more by doing so.

Yes they've gone and to of all clubs, Weds! Had they signed for Plymouth, Derby, Wycombe, we wouldn't be reading all this vitriol towards Smith and Icky tonight.

Very disappointing, not just because of who the players are, but if we can't afford to keep decent league one players, what chance do we have in the championship?

As has been said, a big change over the past 24 hours. I suspect vaulks going was the catalyst and the other two have jumped as a pair.

au revoir, au revoir

Thanks for your two best players, reyt good of ya 👍

If this is true then it has been a complete PR disaster given what Warne said on Football Heaven last night.The 1st of July and the start of pre season training create a 'mini transfer deadline' in themselves and I think that was has happened today.It really is a sad affair but I'm afraid the modern day footballer is an individual mound of flesh that has to pursue a financially driven path because of the short career span,and,in most cases,there ain't much to come after.They can't all rely on a job at SKY! In all honesty,and taking my bias of RUFC away,I would do the same,and so would most of us.What I don't like is Warne phoning Smith 4 times a week and sending 'please stay emojis'. No one should beg,and after all,it looks like it didn't work......begging never does! Expect the same this time next year with.....Barlaser,Wiles,Ogbene..... not Rathbone.....that's the year after.

Waste of time worrying about not being able to control the uncontrollable…

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast