+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National league play offs

National league play offs

Interesting play off format they have in the national league.
    One off matches with home advantage based on league position.
    6 teams, 5 ties then winner takes all.
    Wonder if it will ever catch on in the EFL

I think the concept it’s interesting and works well for them divisions….I think it basically a numbers game.with only one going up automatic it opens up a few more places for the play offs…the one drawback is some teams have to wait two weeks before one set of games and then it doesn’t be really fair ,as York did when they beat Brackley a team they finished 22 points behind….in the EFL it would probably open it too much and I think they prefer the current format and I think they would have looked at it by now..

On paper it's a fairer system as it means the advantage is with the teams that finish higher because they get to play single 'winner takes all' games at home. Of course that might not seem fairer if we ever ended up having to play Sheffield Wednesday at NYS as we seem to do better against them at Hillsborough. However, it's so old it may be fossilized before that ever happens

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    On paper it's a fairer system as it means the advantage is with the teams that finish higher because they get to play single 'winner takes all' games at home. Of course that might not seem fairer if we ever ended up having to play Sheffield Wednesday at NYS as we seem to do better against them at Hillsborough. However, it's so old it may be fossilized before that ever happens
    Doesn't always pan out though as both Notts County and Halifax have found out. I bet they are wishing it was a 2 legged system now!

Out of the 6 eliminator games in NL,NLN& NLS…4 of the away teams won…so much for the slant of home advantage…

Chezzy away at Solihull and Hurstys Grimsby away at Wrexham this weekend in their respective quests to gain promotion back to the EFL

Two more northern teams off to London to play the final at West Ham during times of economic struggles and a so called climate disaster looming.

Huddersfield and Wigan are 40 miles apart but they are all off to Tottenham to play their final as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Two more northern teams off to London to play the final at West Ham during times of economic struggles and a so called climate disaster looming.

Huddersfield and Wigan are 40 miles apart but they are all off to Tottenham to play their final as well.
    A lot of clubs in NL have said the decision to hold final at West Ham”s ground as strange,even the southern based ones…..normally you would cite money as been the driver but I can’t even see that in this case..

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    A lot of clubs in NL have said the decision to hold final at West Ham”s ground as strange,even the southern based ones…..normally you would cite money as been the driver but I can’t even see that in this case..
    A lot of clubs have already ripped up their last seasons pitch and may have relaid a new one so unable to be played on yet. Did anyone think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post

Wigan? You been on the syrup already pal? 🤣 🍺

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast