+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prediction League thoughts/ideas for the new season

Prediction League thoughts/ideas for the new season

Okay with a swift turnaround we are back again and I as the reigning Champion, sorry had to get that in , are now asking for your thoughts/ideas, that you may have and would like to be discussed, that may help the League to be more appealing for this coming season.

I've already had a few sent to me, here they are:

First by leedsmiller:
    Predictions are all about luck to a great extent but I thought the 5 points for goals scored was excessive and shifted the emphasis more towards good fortune. I'd keep the concept as it adds interest but I'd reduce it to a 3 point bonus and introduce the H, A, D scoring system as suggested that way scoring would be better aligned generally and 5 points for a weekly win more meaningful.

One from CAM:
    If we are thinking of going down the scoring complexity of a 3 tiered system (H=1, A=2, D=3) I'd prefer us to just go back to a simple score prediction competition where the posters predict the scores and are given 2pts for a correct result or 5pts for a correct score. Cut down the number of predictions to 5 if 10 seems too many to work with.

A weekly bonus if anyone gets all results correct and a bigger bonus if anyone gets all scores correct. A 5pt weekly bonus for the predictions winner(s).

Keep Goal Bonus at 5 and if we do go down the scoring predictions route it can still apply even if games get cancelled. Just tot up the goals for the games that did get played.

Joker - whatever format we go for I'd like to see the joker applied after all the prediction scores have been tallied and bonuses added. I don't think it's fair that someone playing their joker who has a mediocre week can 'pinch' the weekly win bonus off someone who has had a good or great week.

thaimillerfan:
    1 point home win
    2 for an away win
    3 for a draw.

I like this suggestion from thai, that would make anyone think twice about the away win bagging more points.

Keep them coming!

How about you can pick one fixture from your predictions and you have to correctly predict the score.

Get it right and it's another 2 point bonus. This shouldn't take me too long to go through.
    Last edited by Brin; 23-06-2022 at 10:28 AM.

I thought it was ok as it is now

Any more tinkering will attract a job at the FA

I'd keep it simple for the players so either

1. Predict the scores for all the fixtures (whether its 5 or 10 or whatever). Also this way they don't have to predict goals tally separately it's automatic.

OR

2. Predict H,A,D for all the fixtures. You know my dislike on the 1pt, 2pt, 3pt idea. Not because it's a bad idea but because it introduces the need to complicate things by limiting how many higher point predictions a poster can make. Make it 2pts for them all and let people freely predict what they want. This type of scoring worked on the pools because people had free reign to pick X from 56 (or whatever the number was) so the other option would be to do something similar (but complicated) where a poster only got to either pick say 5H or 3A or 2D from the 10 fixtures and get 1pt, 2pt, 3pt for each they get correct with their maximum score then being 5, 6 or 6.

Kiss for me also

I am happy with the joker part of the game I think it brought some tantisling intrigue to the game especially near the end and a welcome addition ….maybe a joker to use pre Christmas and then another to use before end of season..not essential but a possible.but joker should stay.

On point scoring definitely needs a shake up.firstly forget the limitations of 5 draws it’s prohibitive,that coupled with simple scoring of 1 point per correct selection H,A,D but maybe have a star or nap selection one per player on one match a week and if that score is correct they get extra points maybe 3 perhaps..this will add interest but still keep points in league together and have plenty of movement in league as sponsors of the league are senokot..!.

Hopefully COVID is behind us as regards postponements now but still might get some with weather.i know we had a few tetchy moments with this last season.with brin trying to add fixtures after people had posted etc..so basically if it’s off it’s off even if it’s gets unlikely down to 2 games thats on it’s 2 games that are settled …maybe scrub the highest scorer bonus for that week and just forget goals bonus as no-one will win it anyway.

No rotherham games to be include in the lot proposal.maybe have a ballot on this as the nation is in that kind of mood at the moment..!.

And finally brin to ensure the correct fixtures are published to avoid having to flee to Jamaica to escape the PL kneecappers..!.

Well that's given food for thought. Plenty to choose from so I'll draw up the ideas sent in and post what we all think may work, before a final decision is made.

If you have any more feel free to post them, the season will start pretty soon so let's get this finalised asap, cheers!
    Last edited by Brin; 26-06-2022 at 10:20 AM.

Only change I can think of other than what’s already been suggested is to have all the games on the same day. I know that can be difficult when Sky mess the weekends up but there must be 10 played on the same day even if the National League fixtures may have to be included occasionally.

Yeah Get thi Sen a new calculator

Nothing new to add but would favour:

Same points for win, lose or draw. If there is to be variation, draw and away win should be the same and higher than home win.

Reduce the points for guessing total goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast