+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: what advice would you give RMT unioin

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    I hate unions, at least your open about that, do they make your job/life harder ?

If it wasn’t for unions so many wouldn’t have any of the rights they have now, equality in the work place wouldn’t exist for a start, I could make a list of things the union has fought and won for employees but you wouldn’t be interested, we know there are some union reps that are in it for themselves but there are plenty that do for nothing more than seeing fairness
    Unions don't make my job or life harder. I have no contact with them any union any more.

It's easy to say we wouldn't have this, that and whatever if it wasn't for whoever. Unfortunately that's just a subjective opinion and has no basis in fact.

Yes, the unions won certain rights for workers by negotiation and / or industrial action back in a time when industry was massive in the UK, but there is absolutely no empirical evidence to say these rights, and more, wouldn't have been given anyway as the world, and attitudes, progressed.

We should all be grateful for what those people did back then but remember the unions were corrupt and senior officials were in bed with the management, they were likely handed as much by management using common sense and realising they get more from happy employees than they do from disgruntled ones, than they did by negotiation.

Watch the true story Made In Dagenham to see how much the unions and management used to co-operate to keep the 'members' down. Until someone from outside their cohort took it upon herself to get the fairness employees deserved - equal pay (well, nearly) for women. The union was dead against it and won nothing. The women had to fight the union and the management to get what they deserved.

Happened to hear the RMT union leader onTV this morning. Didn't sound nearly so confident and the issue is clearly more about job cuts because the commuter based model for city centres is in serious decline. A bit like coal was undermined by North Sea Gas and cheap imports, it seems that the commuter is cheaper working from home and I fear that allowing MSM to use pay and the cost of living crisis as a way to describe the strikes is not helpful for either city centres or the railway workers.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Happened to hear the RMT union leader onTV this morning. Didn't sound nearly so confident and the issue is clearly more about job cuts because the commuter based model for city centres is in serious decline. A bit like coal was undermined by North Sea Gas and cheap imports, it seems that the commuter is cheaper working from home and I fear that allowing MSM to use pay and the cost of living crisis as a way to describe the strikes is not helpful for either city centres or the railway workers.
    There were two people interviewed outside the London Bridge station and shown on today’s lunchtime BBC news.
    One man said that he was fed up with the strikes whilst another woman said that there should be a General Strike.
    This women would no doubt be the first to complain if the power workers went on strike resulting in massive power cuts.
    She did not look old enough to have lived through the power cuts in the early 1970’s otherwise she would soon change her tune.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    There were two people interviewed outside the London Bridge station and shown on today’s lunchtime BBC news.
    One man said that he was fed up with the strikes whilst another woman said that there should be a General Strike.
    This women would no doubt be the first to complain if the power workers went on strike resulting in massive power cuts.
    She did not look old enough to have lived through the power cuts in the early 1970’s otherwise she would soon change her tune.
    Why? Maybe she believes in workers rights. You need to remember not everyone is a victorian tory.....

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    Why? Maybe she believes in workers rights. You need to remember not everyone is a victorian tory.....
    I'm not a Victorian Tory but I did live through the power cuts of the seventies.

I'm 100% against industrial action of any kind because nobody really benefits from it - not the worker, not the company and not the customer (us).

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I'm not a Victorian Tory but I did live through the power cuts of the seventies.

I'm 100% against industrial action of any kind because nobody really benefits from it - not the worker, not the company and not the customer (us).
    I'm 100% for it. Everyone has the right to withhold Labour,and if you believe you are justified,then go for it.

Nobody really wants to strike especially these days,so if they are willing to lose wages to prove a point,then more power to them

I'm 100% for it. Everyone has the right to withhold Labour,and if you believe you are justified,then go for it.

Nobody really wants to strike especially these days,so if they are willing to lose wages to prove a point,then more power to them
    Yer attitude would change if it affected you and your family directly.

Correct, everyone has the right to withhold their labour. However do they really have the right to disrupt to the detriment of their employer, families and society in general? I don't thinks so myself.

Other thing is why withhold labour for say two weeks in a year year costing yourself 3.5% of your annual wages, disrupting your customers, causing your employer to lose money, causing your family hardship and (of course) making it clear to your employer that you can't be trusted in the process in an attempt to secure an extra 1.5% or 2% on your annual wage rise? Just doesn't make financial sense.

I started with my current employer in July 2018, I received a 2% salary increase this year and that's the first one I've had from them. Do I complain? No because I know that the 2%, in an industry that struggled pre pandemic and through it, is better than a possible option of zero salary.

The problem with some people is that they forget that you never know what you have until you no longer have it. Those of us that have been there do.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    Yer attitude would change if it affected you and your family directly.
    No it wouldn't,because it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Correct, everyone has the right to withhold their labour. However do they really have the right to disrupt to the detriment of their employer, families and society in general? I don't thinks so myself.

Other thing is why withhold labour for say two weeks in a year year costing yourself 3.5% of your annual wages, disrupting your customers, causing your employer to lose money, causing your family hardship and (of course) making it clear to your employer that you can't be trusted in the process in an attempt to secure an extra 1.5% or 2% on your annual wage rise? Just doesn't make financial sense.

I started with my current employer in July 2018, I received a 2% salary increase this year and that's the first one I've had from them. Do I complain? No because I know that the 2%, in an industry that struggled pre pandemic and through it, is better than a possible option of zero salary.

The problem with some people is that they forget that you never know what you have until you no longer have it. Those of us that have been there do.
    Sometimes you have to stand up for what is right,even if it costs you. Most industrial action I have seen has not been about money,more often its about redundancies or changes to working conditions. The few times I saw strike action being considered was after other options had been tried and ignored. Both times the strike was called off late in the day,once by the employer coming to the table once by the workers changing their minds.

What would you do if your employer decided to cut your pay,stop paying sick pay,and cut your breaks?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)