+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Langstaff & Scott on Radio Nottm tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Russ_OTF View Post
    Jimmy Spencer wasn't very tall and it stuck to him like glue.
    Yeah good shout. I know it's not everyone's idea of ***y football, but during that Great Escape run when Spencer was pretty much unplayable I used to love watching his battles with centre halves.

It was a compelling combination of strength, skill and nous.

He was indeed great to watch and like Stall illustrated perfectly how important hold up play was is by a forward.

He is 6'1", which is pretty tall.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    That was a decent interview to be fair, enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yeah good shout. I know it's not everyone's idea of ***y football, but during that Great Escape run when Spencer was pretty much unplayable I used to love watching his battles with centre halves.

It was a compelling combination of strength, skill and nous.
    The back half of that season he was prob the best hold up man I'd ever seen. He'd be surrounded by 3 burly CH's and still come away with the ball.

The back half of that season he was prob the best hold up man I'd ever seen. He'd be surrounded by 3 burly CH's and still come away with the ball.
    It was like he was covered in velcro, that injury at Arnold absolutely f00ked us.

Yep it was quite something. I remember even feeling a giddy sense of anticipation as he made his way on to an aimless ball out of defence with a couple of meathead centre halves in tow.

Probably the most complete dismantling of a centre back I have ever seen was the home match against Swindon (I think) where he bossed their centre half all game, bullied him, won every tussle, goaded him into giving away fouls, and eventually just wound him up so much the lad just smacked him or headbutted him (can't remember which) while waiting for a set piece to come in at the end of the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12