+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unions still have a role to play

Unions still have a role to play

Despite the actions of the RMT the current economic crisis means that unions still have an important role in trying to protect their members from being genuinely unfairly treated. Unite and the GMB are a case in point where BA has given one group of employees a 10% rise but already lower paid check in staff are effectively 10% worse off following reduction in wages over covid. In my own sector, distribution workers have just got 7% but most others (who account for the vast majority) have been offered 2% . In reality, of course, it's all about bargaining power and supply/demand because some sectors can demand higher wages due to a shortage of suitable staff whereas others-traditionally lower paid ones-don't have this luxury and this allows employers to keep suppressing wages. Obviously some jobs are more skilled than others and so naturally pay more but it seems that these are getting far higher percentage wage awards than their lesser paid colleagues. No wonder resentment builds as the gap between rich and poor ever widens.

Obviously there are many cases where companies cannot afford to pay higher wages as they are struggling themselves and unions need to recognize this and be realistic in their demands but the thrust of many is to ensure that their members are treated legally and fairly and so, if a company does make money, a reasonable amount of this profit is set aside to ensure employees get decent conditions and a "fair days pay for a fair days work" and don't get screwed over. No one wants a return to the over powerful unions of the past but the Tories have been eroding workers rights and conditions for some time now and unions still have a role in trying to prevent this. Too many don't grasp the fact that many of the employment rights we enjoy today weren't given by nice ulturistic employers but were hard won by unions.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Despite the actions of the RMT the current economic crisis means that unions still have an important role in trying to protect their members from being genuinely unfairly treated. Unite and the GMB are a case in point where BA has given one group of employees a 10% rise but already lower paid check in staff are effectively 10% worse off following reduction in wages over covid. In my own sector, distribution workers have just got 7% but most others (who account for the vast majority) have been offered 2% . In reality, of course, it's all about bargaining power and supply/demand because some sectors can demand higher wages due to a shortage of suitable staff whereas others-traditionally lower paid ones-don't have this luxury and this allows employers to keep suppressing wages. Obviously some jobs are more skilled than others and so naturally pay more but it seems that these are getting far higher percentage wage awards than their lesser paid colleagues. No wonder resentment builds as the gap between rich and poor ever widens.

Obviously there are many cases where companies cannot afford to pay higher wages as they are struggling themselves and unions need to recognize this and be realistic in their demands but the thrust of many is to ensure that their members are treated legally and fairly and so, if a company does make money, a reasonable amount of this profit is set aside to ensure employees get decent conditions and a "fair days pay for a fair days work" and don't get screwed over. No one wants a return to the over powerful unions of the past but the Tories have been eroding workers rights and conditions for some time now and unions still have a role in trying to prevent this. Too many don't grasp the fact that many of the employment rights we enjoy today weren't given by nice ulturistic employers but were hard won by unions.

Everyone needs a pay rise! Far more sympathy for teachers who have to slog away to obtain a teaching degree and paid pathetic money for what they do! Far worse than other countries! Nurses too are paid shocking low wages and no wonder they go to food banks!

Train drivers on average are on 59K so a p iss take compared to teachers and nurses! I hope these professions go on strike too and cripple the country!

Meanwhile council tax continues to rise which is another p iss take! Then some people think the enormous minimum wage of £10 is sufficient!! Is it f uck! Why are pensions set to increase with inflation and nothing else? So unfair that many get pensions now whilst the pension age no doubt will soon be 75+ if you make it! Disgusting! Levelling up - complete bollox!
    Last edited by baggieal; 23-06-2022 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Everyone needs a pay rise! Far more sympathy for teachers who have to slog away to obtain a teaching degree and paid pathetic money for what they do! Far worse than other countries! Nurses too are paid shocking low wages and no wonder they go to food banks
    Nurses do well Al. £25k start, with night bonuses it easily tops £30k rising to about £40k with experience. They do 3 shifts a week so one more shift, they can easily take home £50k. That’s not factoring in career progression, pensions and decent leave. A tough job though.

The concept of unions is fine, the reality very often different.

I was in USDAW when I was in shop work and they were useless.

I objected to the fact that deductions for contributions to USDAW were taken automatically from my very meagre wages in those days.

We earned terrible money and they did absolutely nothing to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Nurses do well Al. £25k start, with night bonuses it easily tops £30k rising to about £40k with experience. They do 3 shifts a week so one more shift, they can easily take home £50k. That’s not factoring in career progression, pensions and decent leave. A tough job though.

Not enough though Matt for what they do! We want more doctors but many students don't want to undertake five year courses saddled with debt and the living allowance is so s hite those students have to take pub jobs etc. This degree should be free to recruit talented doctors so where's the incentive.

Don't remember that you need a professional qualification ( which is b loody hard work ) to be a train driver and how come their wages are so high?

Despite what the fount of all knowledge (our government) tells us, train drivers are not members of the RMT (who are striking) but are members of ASLEF who are not; so all this talk of what train drivers earn is totally irrelevant

Our union at BT was a good one and worked well with management , apart from one 4 week strike.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsombaggie View Post
    Despite what the fount of all knowledge (our government) tells us, train drivers are not members of the RMT (who are striking) but are members of ASLEF who are not; so all this talk of what train drivers earn is totally irrelevant
    I only discovered this in the last few days despite having heard lots of interviews with all sides. Illustrates for me just how much of this and therefore other fractious situations are more about rhetoric than fact.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Our union at BT was a good one and worked well with management , apart from one 4 week strike.
    Breakdown in communications?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    The concept of unions is fine, the reality very often different.

I was in USDAW when I was in shop work and they were useless.

I objected to the fact that deductions for contributions to USDAW were taken automatically from my very meagre wages in those days.

We earned terrible money and they did absolutely nothing to help us.
    I remember my first direct contact with unions was in the early 80s and was with USDAW too. Like yourself I wasn't overly impressed, not least by the rep himself who seemed to do little but take time release off work to go on courses that seemed little different than jollies. But time moves on. I was urged to become a rep by my Regional HR manager and have represented both managers and staff.

Over time I have seen quite a few changes particularly in the ways that managers dealt with staff and became better trained and skilled so that instances of staff being unfairly treated dropped. In boom times it is always easier for companies to be more generous but the economic bite over recent years has seen a decline in the quality of individual managers who are paid less and not so well trained and companies who are far tougher to negotiate with. The problem is that union membership uptake is now far smaller than it once was (due to that period when companies made more money and treated employees better) and so unions have far less bargaining power.

I always find that it is non members who moan most about "useless union" that cannot negotiate better pay but fail to see that if more joined then the union would have a better bargaining position. Too many also don't realise that reps don't get paid and frequently use up a lot of our own time with cases and supporting members. They also don't see the need for representation-until they do! All for the cost of a sandwich a week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)