+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We are so over crowded

We are so over crowded

Earlier this year I drove a few thousand miles mostly through France and Italy and apart from around the big cities the motorways were pretty much empty. Even when there were roadworks the traffic never came to a halt.

Today I have driven a couple of hundred miles on 4 motorways and it took me 6+ hours. If petrol prices are keeping cars off the road I didn't see much evidence of it.

923 I was once told the French have an aversion to using the motorways due to the tolls, perhaps the car ownership stats per household may differ too?

Well you let in 2 million migrants since COVID began. You are an ancient people on an ancient and settled land. Why turn your country into a hostel for all the world's migrants?

Polio in the UK. Imported from Nigeria along with so many other products of cultural enrichment. Maybe that will thin the herd.

https://youtu.be/hoLxTyQOYRA

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    Well you let in 2 million migrants since COVID began. You are an ancient people on an ancient and settled land. Why turn your country into a hostel for all the world's migrants?
    Very few countries can claim to be truly indige-and certainly not the UK. The Ancient Britons were likely mostly of Iberian or Celtic descent and then the Romans landed with people's from across their empire. When they left came the Germanic Angles, Saxons and Jutes followed by the Scandanavian and Danish "Vikings". In 1066 came the French (but decidedly Viking influenced) Normans. All these invaded and settled. New World exploration saw the establishment of pockets of Black communities and Empire saw first Lascars and then other Asian and Chinese settle. Those fleeing religious or other persecutions and revolutions in Europe and Russia followed. Many Irish crossed the sea to escape famine.Then more refugees, primarily Jews and Eastern Europeans came seeking refuge from Nazism. After the war we invited those from the West Indies over to help rebuild our cities and after Partition many Indians and Pakistanis came over to escape violence and poverty. The end of Empire and new age of Commonwealth saw many more from India, China and Kenya especially leading to Powell's famous "rivers of blood" speach. EU membership then saw many others, particularly Poles, come over.

All have contributed to the country. Some have had a negative impact but the vast majority have benefited and enriched British culture. But I have a nasty suspicion that your ire is only against those immigrants of colour?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Very few countries can claim to be truly indige-and certainly not the UK. The Ancient Britons were likely mostly of Iberian or Celtic descent and then the Romans landed with people's from across their empire. When they left came the Germanic Angles, Saxons and Jutes followed by the Scandanavian and Danish "Vikings". In 1066 came the French (but decidedly Viking influenced) Normans. All these invaded and settled. New World exploration saw the establishment of pockets of Black communities and Empire saw first Lascars and then other Asian and Chinese settle. Those fleeing religious or other persecutions and revolutions in Europe and Russia followed. Many Irish crossed the sea to escape famine.Then more refugees, primarily Jews and Eastern Europeans came seeking refuge from Nazism. After the war we invited those from the West Indies over to help rebuild our cities and after Partition many Indians and Pakistanis came over to escape violence and poverty. The end of Empire and new age of Commonwealth saw many more from India, China and Kenya especially leading to Powell's famous "rivers of blood" speach. EU membership then saw many others, particularly Poles, come over.

All have contributed to the country. Some have had a negative impact but the vast majority have benefited and enriched British culture. But I have a nasty suspicion that your ire is only against those immigrants of colour?
    🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

🙏🙏🙏🙏

Of course you have that suspicion. Responding to criticisms of mass immigration with accusations of racism is common verbal tic these days. By the way: How many drops does it take to make a river?
    Last edited by Robus; 24-06-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Sorry Robus, but that smacks of easy deflection. I am concerned about the levels of immigration as well but it has nothing to do with the colour of a person's skin. Being concerned about immigration does not logically make anyone "racist" -but by the same token it doesn't preclude the possibility that they are. The reasons given by too many for their concerns over immigration can easily be seen as being driven by racism or, at best, racist tropes and ignorance.

I understand that immigration causes issues for our country but at the same time, I believe that by a freak of good luck, we have been born in a country that gives us massive opportunities not enjoyed by so many other people, less fortunately born into poverty, war and hardship in many other countries. We are privileged from birth and I therefore am very open to our country supporting people from war torn countries or countries where it is almost impossible to have hope and provide a future for your children. I also understand we can't take tens of millions but I am sympathetic to those who do make it to our shores. Striking a balance isn't easy but I will always err on the side of accepting more rather than less.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)