+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Eaves confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    It is a good solid signing, championship experience gives balance if we bring in some younger players as well. I still think bringing in Smallwood would be a good decision as well, experience sat deep to protect the back four.
    Smallwood has already signed for Bradford

Quote Originally Posted by clarkey1974 View Post
    Wonder how many turncoats there will be….because in the last few weeks no-one wanted eaves on here not one…we”ll see…
    Fair comment and I have posted recently about being underwhelmed if we signed Eaves and I have no issue admitting that. My thoughts are not based on his very brief loan spell years ago when he was a kid. It's based on his goalscoring record at Hull over the last 3 seasons. 14 goals in 97 league appearances just doesn't fill me with excitement. Last season he scored 5 from 31. He had two very impressive seasons with Gillingham in League One where his goal ratio was almost 1 in 2, but seemed to struggle with the step up to the Championship. My concern is that he's not Championship quality.

BUT

He's a Miller now and while ever he's wearing the RUFC shirt he will get my support. I have lots of trust in Warne and co's ability to get the best out of players and we have done very well at rejuvenating and inspiring careers of players who didn't seem to fit in elsewhere or played at a lower level. That seems to be our bread and butter and how we survive as a club so there's no reason Eaves can't do the same.

I hope my initial negativity is proved wrong and people remind me of that when Eaves is our top scorer. It might seem strange to some but the success of the club I love is much more important than having an "I told you so," moment on a message board.

UTM

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post
    Fair comment and I have posted recently about being underwhelmed if we signed Eaves and I have no issue admitting that. My thoughts are not based on his very brief loan spell years ago when he was a kid. It's based on his goalscoring record at Hull over the last 3 seasons. 14 goals in 97 league appearances just doesn't fill me with excitement. Last season he scored 5 from 31. He had two very impressive seasons with Gillingham in League One where his goal ratio was almost 1 in 2, but seemed to struggle with the step up to the Championship. My concern is that he's not Championship quality.

BUT

He's a Miller now and while ever he's wearing the RUFC shirt he will get my support. I have lots of trust in Warne and co's ability to get the best out of players and we have done very well at rejuvenating and inspiring careers of players who didn't seem to fit in elsewhere or played at a lower level. That seems to be our bread and butter and how we survive as a club so there's no reason Eaves can't do the same.

I hope my initial negativity is proved wrong and people remind me of that when Eaves is our top scorer. It might seem strange to some but the success of the club I love is much more important than having an "I told you so," moment on a message board.

UTM
    Although he has not scored many goals at Hull, he was definitely liked by their supporters, so he must bring something to the table that they like him for ?
    Think he has been playing deeper and grafting, creating chances for Potter and Wilks who have been playing more forward ? so he might revert back to centre forward under Warne, he has got more skill than Smith and will score different types of goals for us ? My guess he will get 10+ goals for us next season which will be as many as Smith would have got in the Championship !

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    His positioning is good, will bag a few goals if Ogbene and Co can get quick and accurate balls into the box

No goals there as a lone striker needs one or more others within 10 yards of him.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Hope he proves worth signing. How can judge a player unless you see him playing for us?
    Well you often do
    How often do you say "don't want him" or give some untried youngster who you've never seen play a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Well you often do
    How often do you say "don't want him" or give some untried youngster who you've never seen play a chance?
    If there were no confusion, no contradictions, no anomalies, no knee jerk judgements, there'd be no.....well, no gru.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Well you often do
    You haven’t even had anything to say about Eaves on a thread about him signing for us

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    His positioning is good, will bag a few goals if Ogbene and Co can get quick and accurate balls into the box

No goals there as a lone striker needs one or more others within 10 yards of him.
    My thoughts. Whilst his style is a bit agricultural his ability to find space looks very good.
    I was looking at his gills goals and from his 5 x Vs the millers he scores 5 goals. 3 for hull 2 for gills.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekProsser(East Anglia) View Post
    Fair comment and I have posted recently about being underwhelmed if we signed Eaves and I have no issue admitting that. My thoughts are not based on his very brief loan spell years ago when he was a kid. It's based on his goalscoring record at Hull over the last 3 seasons. 14 goals in 97 league appearances just doesn't fill me with excitement. Last season he scored 5 from 31. He had two very impressive seasons with Gillingham in League One where his goal ratio was almost 1 in 2, but seemed to struggle with the step up to the Championship. My concern is that he's not Championship quality
    But he didn't start 31 games, he started 12. According to my app, he played 1258 minutes of league football for Hull last season and scored 5 goals. That's a goal every 251 minutes.

Compare that to Smudge when we were last in the Championship. Smudge made 44 appearances, 34 of which he was in the starting 11, scoring 10 league goals. He played 3138 minutes of football. That's a goal every 313 minutes.

So Eaves' record in the Championship is actually better than Smudge based on their most recent football in the second tier.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast