+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Clowes buys Pride Park

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I don't read it that way and there is nothing anywhere either through gossip or tinternet that suggests that. Seems to me Clowes has outflanked everyone.

I'm still extremely sceptical that Ashley has at anytime had serious interest. The only proof has been that lawyers letter, which did not mention who their client was.

Appleby certainly was, but the purchase of the ground seems to have stymied that approach.

What makes me laugh, is obviously somebody leaked the Clowes ground purchase a few weeks ago, but Clowes kept quiet and it all went away.

He seems a intelligent and capable chap, he seems to prefer to get things done rather than talking about them on social media or the press. He has made a firm statement of intent, he has provided a loan so the club can operate as a going concern pending takeover, frankly at this moment in time he deserves fans gratitude. The future? Well at least it looks as if there will be one.

Rooney's departure is odd, but as has been said, seems linked to he shall not be named failed takeover bid.

I'm not bothered about a new manager, at least we won't be Rooney's Derby any more.
    That's pretty much my take. Only concern is losing some of our youngsters that may have stayed with Rooney as their childhood hero. But, it would be inevitable anyway. Looks like a total reset for the club, I hope it goes through.

Clowes bought the ground. Clowes paid the May wage bill. He has provided a loan to keep the club going until season and matchday monies roll in along with advertising and sponsorship monies. Clowes is in discussions with Quantuma to buy the club.

"social" media is alive with "he'll sell to Ashley in a few months" and "will he go into partnership with Appleby" and other Jackanory like posts.

We know that CKs pie in the sky bid was, previously, the only one that avoided -15 id Quantuma can be believed on that. Clowes bid doesn't invoke -15 so is higher than anything Ashley has bid thus far, if he's ever actually put a bid in.....

Let's say, for sake of argument, that Clowes' saving of the club will have set him back £50M. Would he sell a few months down the line to Ashley for £50M or less? I think Clowes is in this on his own.

The same "socials" are saying MM still pulls the strings and Clowes is his biatch and MM will be announced as a board member on Wednesday. IMO, many fans would boycott home games if MM was still involved.

Rooney? There are many possibles as to why he left. Here are the ones that I came up with....

The CK deal included him working alongside Stretford and Cook in charge. Maybe Clowes didn't want one or more of the triumvirate.

The 32RED sponsorship is ending. They are paying most, if not all, of WRs rumoured 75K to 90K a week wages. Not sustainable in L1 and he isn't prepared to drop his income by half or maybe more.

He has another job lined up.

Clowes wasn't offering the money he wanted to get the players he wanted in.

A combo of one or more of the above.

Feel free to add your own thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Clowes bought the ground. Clowes paid the May wage bill. He has provided a loan to keep the club going until season and matchday monies roll in along with advertising and sponsorship monies. Clowes is in discussions with Quantuma to buy the club.

"social" media is alive with "he'll sell to Ashley in a few months" and "will he go into partnership with Appleby" and other Jackanory like posts.

We know that CKs pie in the sky bid was, previously, the only one that avoided -15 id Quantuma can be believed on that. Clowes bid doesn't invoke -15 so is higher than anything Ashley has bid thus far, if he's ever actually put a bid in.....

Let's say, for sake of argument, that Clowes' saving of the club will have set him back £50M. Would he sell a few months down the line to Ashley for £50M or less? I think Clowes is in this on his own.

The same "socials" are saying MM still pulls the strings and Clowes is his biatch and MM will be announced as a board member on Wednesday. IMO, many fans would boycott home games if MM was still involved.

Rooney? There are many possibles as to why he left. Here are the ones that I came up with....

The CK deal included him working alongside Stretford and Cook in charge. Maybe Clowes didn't want one or more of the triumvirate.

The 32RED sponsorship is ending. They are paying most, if not all, of WRs rumoured 75K to 90K a week wages. Not sustainable in L1 and he isn't prepared to drop his income by half or maybe more.

Any or all possible. Whatever, farewell Wayne and we thank you, not for success but for fronting up when no one else would

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

Thats a fair assessment MA. I don't think its the time to question the guys motives, in any case he seems to be the only one actually doing anything to save the club, so lets just see how it goes.

I am actually quite excited, this could be a new dawn, one that actually produces a sustainable football club that will be competitive in L1, welcome after so many false ones!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    That's pretty much my take. Only concern is losing some of our youngsters that may have stayed with Rooney as their childhood hero. But, it would be inevitable anyway. Looks like a total reset for the club, I hope it goes through.
    I'm not so worried about our youngsters, a stable club which is competitive will keep them, after all Rooney hasn't stopped the flow of talent out of the door to date.

Rooney may ahve persuaded a higher calibre of player to sign, but then again could we afford them?

I'm not so worried about our youngsters, a stable club which is competitive will keep them, after all Rooney hasn't stopped the flow of talent out of the door to date.

Rooney may ahve persuaded a higher calibre of player to sign, but then again could we afford them?
    Good point. Be interesting to see if Rosenier gets the job or not, it might be more beneficial if someone else with lower league contacts came in for the rebuilding job.
    Either way, light at the end of the tunnel for the club, it's been a long time coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Good point. Be interesting to see if Rosenier gets the job or not, it might be more beneficial if someone else with lower league contacts came in for the rebuilding job.
    Either way, light at the end of the tunnel for the club, it's been a long time coming.
    We must be a tough breed us Ram’s fans. We lose our keeper and manager in the space of a week just 35 days before the season proper starts, but someone buys the ground and suddenly there’s ‘light at the end of the tunnel’.

Probably right and overall I suppose we should be positive, but I also agree with AF earlier...thanks to Rooney, ‘for fronting up when no one else would’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    We must be a tough breed us Ram’s fans. We lose our keeper and manager in the space of a week just 35 days before the season proper starts, but someone buys the ground and suddenly there’s ‘light at the end of the tunnel’.

Probably right and overall I suppose we should be positive, but I also agree with AF earlier...thanks to Rooney, ‘for fronting up when no one else would’.
    One has to admire Rooney as but for the pts deduction we would have stayed in the championship, to achieve that with the restrictions on recruiting players was very good.

Thanks for fronting up when nobody else would? He was on a very good salary, he was getting invaluable experience in football management and his reputation was not at risk should the team get relegated. For him, though I acknowledge it must have been difficult at times, I'd say it was as much in his interests to stay as it was in Derby's.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next, and then the true test will come.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up next, and then the true test will come.
    My thoughts, exactly Swale. here's a post I put on a thread on FB yesterday...

Jury is still out on him IMO. Handled himself brilliantly last season. Season before would have been sacked following one win from the last 15 games but Mel couldn't afford to sack him. Again, now, he's walked saving the club a lot of money. In his entire tenure he was hamstrung and couldn't put his side together. His next job will show if he's the real deal.

Tis true, he was hamstrung throughout his time as manager and did well with what he was given, can't take that away from him but his next job will be the true test

Just to repeat what was said above lol!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)