+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Roe v Wade Overturned

Thanks Robus. I can understand why individual States might want degrees of autonomy from Federal control, particularly given the sheer size of the country and the disparity in cultures. I guess the real question that many in the UK don't understand is why so many Americans are anti abortion or anti gun control in the first place.

It is true that many of the "equality" rights/laws in the UK did not start to become enshrined in law until the mid 70s, but these were hard fought for and accepted now. Despite many here feeling exasperated by the current "woke" trend, the vast majority of people in the UK support these rights/laws-including those on abortion-so don't understand why others dont, particularly when it comes to other Western democracies.

You have below-replacement fertility. Instead of having children, you adopt the Third World. We are in the same situation. There is a public interest in fertility. There is a moral interest in preserving the right to life of unborn human beings. I'm not saying those are necessarily the controlling interests. There are individual interests in privacy and bodily autonomy to balance. Hence the need for a democratic process to balance these interests. In the absence of explicit constitution language, there simply is NO ROLE for the Supreme Court in the debate. The justices have a job to do, but it not the job of legislators.

The gun rights issue is altogether different as there a constitutional guarantee.

I don't know about the 70s. A major turning point was Brown v. Board of Education in 1954 where SCOTUS threw out Topeka, Kansas's racially segregated school system basing (accurately, for change) on the "equal protection under law" clause of the 14th Amendment. Brown repudiated an earlier SCOTUS ruling, Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) that had permitted segregation in public accommodations (passenger cars on a train).

Plessy held that segregation was consistent with the "equal protection under the law" clause provided the segregated accommodations were "separate but equal." Writing for the majority in Brown v. Board of Education, Justice Warren pointed out the patent inferiority of Black public schools in Topeka and declared: Separate but equal is impossible in this case.

Brown was a righteous decision that restored the force of a constitution protection vitiated by decades of Jim Crow segregation. Justice Alito cited Plessy it in his Dobbs decision this week. Alito wrote: "Like the infamous decision in Plessy v. Ferguson, Roe was also egregiously wrong and on a collision course with the Constitution from the day it was decided."
    Last edited by Robus; 26-06-2022 at 12:12 AM.

Saw a very apt poster today which read 'as a woman, maybe one day, I'll have as many rights as a gun'. That's sums it up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
    Saw a very apt poster today which read 'as a woman, maybe one day, I'll have as many rights as a gun'. That's sums it up perfectly.
    In a nutshell! 🪹

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    The gun rights issue is altogether different as there a constitutional guarantee.
    I thought you were keeping your guns in the event that your government removed your liberty?

Seems to me like your country takes the context of liberty and twists the context so it suits a backwards moral agenda.

All this legislation, laws, constitution etc. is beyond me! The only comment I can make is that I feel that a woman should have the right to decide what she does with her own body.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    All this legislation, laws, constitution etc. is beyond me! The only comment I can make is that I feel that a woman should have the right to decide what she does with her own body.
    "The ends justify the means" is a core attitude of progressivism. Lick your fingertips and stick them up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. What's "in" this week? Unlimited abortion up to and including infanticide? Allowing men to compete in women's sports? Grooming young school children to embrace absurd and false ideas about ***, gender? Racial and *** discrimination in the name of "equity?" Opening your borders to unchecked mass immigration? Suppression of speech rights?

Leftists will ALWAYS be able to manufacture a legal pretext for those things.

In 1973 Justice Harry Blackmum produced a monument to that logic: Roe v. Wade. He put is finger in the air and decided: Abortion is "in." The he manufactured a legal pretext to make it happen. It has taken us 50 years to set it right.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    In a nutshell! ��
    I can tell you don't live in Malmo.

"The ends justify the means" is a core attitude of progressivism. Lick your fingertips and stick them up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. What's "in" this week? Unlimited abortion up to and including infanticide? Allowing men to compete in women's sports? Grooming young school children to embrace absurd and false ideas about ***, gender? Racial and *** discrimination in the name of "equity?" Opening your borders to unchecked mass immigration? Suppression of speech rights?

Leftists will ALWAYS be able to manufacture a legal pretext for those things.

In 1973 Justice Harry Blackmum produced a monument to that logic: Roe v. Wade. He put is finger in the air and decided: Abortion is "in." The he manufactured a legal pretext to make it happen. It has taken us 50 years to set it right.
    And the Right don't similarly "manufacture legal pretexts"?I

I get it that the Roe v Wade thing was over turned on a legal technicality but the real question remains why so many Americans are against abortion, even in cases of rape? "Infanticide"? Really?

I would very obviously not wish this on anyone but, for arguments sake, say your wife or daughter was attacked and raped and got pregnant and they were adamant they wanted an abortion, would you protest against it? Or say that your daughter got pregnant by her husband/partner but early scans picked up severe problems that indicated a very high chance that the baby would have low life expectancy and little quality of life and would need to be on life support. Your daughter and partner make to difficult decision to terminate. Would you fight their decision?

Abortion in itself isn't an "in" thing, it isn't about "fashion". It's about not over-riding the rights of the individual girls/women concerned to have freedom of choice about their own bodies-and the foetus isn't a self supporting entity at that point.

I can tell you don't live in Malmo.
    Well, I don’t, but, I have - and I was there the other week, and, probably miraculously, I did survive. As I did when I lived there…

”Trump news about Malmö”… 😱

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)