+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Covid v A Common Head Cold

Covid v A Common Head Cold

I have seen references on here to Covid now being "nothing more than a common head cold" some even making out it is a minor/mild head cold. Even although I believe that it is a mild illness in the majority and that only a small minority become seriously ill I think there is still a much larger minority where it is nothing like a head cold. Before I go any further I would point out that I am not in favour of lockdowns except in the most extreme of circumstances e.g. some future doomsday variant, not in favour of wearing masks which give no protection to the wearer and minimal at best protection to others and basically I am in favour of learning to live with Covid. This could be difficult however as current scientific thoughts from the likes of Hugh Pennington etc. who talk more sense than the doom merchants of the early pandemic, reckon that it is now endemic and that we could/will face a couple of major outbreaks a year, not necessarily seasonal, ad infinitum. This of course is similar to the way we live with the common cold but with the cold it is almost impossible to be re-infected by the same virus, the problem of course is that there are hundreds of cold viruses mutating all the time meaning if you are susceptible to colds you will get one or two a year or if you are unlucky more. The current variants of Covid however seem to be able to reinfect folk again with getting a dose at best offering minimal protection against further infections maybe only getting a milder illness though, thankfully.

You may have guessed that I have just gone down with Covid for the first time. Triple vaccinated, no underlying health conditions and in good health overall and I can tell you that my experience (and the experience of a not inconsiderable number of relatives and friends of mine) of Covid cannot be mentioned in the same breath as a common head cold. I have had many a cold some worse than others but I have never, ever felt this bad from a cold. Started four days ago, the day before supposedly setting off for our first holiday in 3 years; did test, positive so holiday cancelled totally pissing me off. Now four days in and only feeling marginally better it was the right decision. Colds have given me runny nose, blocked up feeling occasionally a cough and with the odd nastier bout sinusitus which is unpleasant in the extreme. Covid has given me a very high temperature, extreme headache, muscle and body pain throughout, a nasty cough, sore throat, choked up and all the other symptoms of a cold, nausea, sickness, diarrhea, sweats and chills and a total loss of appetite. To be honest I cannot remember last having the flu and I can't remember ever feeling this bad.

This post is not a call for any more government action, god forbid, and not a call for anything other than getting on with it but to try to point out to those (on here and among folk that I know) who flippantly dismiss Covid as "no worse than a common cold" that there is more to it than that. Whilst I agree that the majority are only mildly affected for a considerable number it is a really nasty experience not helped by reading that it only a minor ailment.

Vaccinations have surely helped in preventing serious illness as they were designed for and much lesser so in preventing folk getting Covid which they were not specifically designed for. It is to be hoped that scientists can close that gap hopefully finding a jag that will prevent getting Covid at all. Failing this I can see this carry on going on for years/ever where holiday plans, entertainment outings etc. will be under threat and then there is the threat to the already difficult economy if folk require time off every time they are markedly affected by a dose or self isolate under guidance rather than laws. Just this weekend in Edinburgh alone two of their main theatres the Kings & Lyceum have cancelled performances and in the case of Sunshine on Leith closed its run completely, early. Entertainments are being cancelled widely at present and I can also see the fitba' continuing to be affected sporadically.

To sum up I don't think there is much more we can do or should do short of trying to find the magic cover all jag and I don't think (despite the way I am still feeling) that we should panic but please don't make the folk who are suffering at present and in the future feel any worse by ill informed statements making out that, apart from a few serious cases, Covid is no worse than a cold. For many it is a damned sight worse than said cold.

Stopped reading at lockdown.

COVID is like flu, measles, chicken pox, epilepsy, polio..........it effects people differently.......the vast vast majority it has no lasting effects

I've had Covid twice.

Your experience of the virus is different from both of mine Troodee. I had something akin to a mild flu / heavy cold the second time but no noticeable symptoms at all the first time. I've had flu twice in my life and those were nowhere near a flu in my case and I've also had worse colds which have left me with more significant short / mid term after effects.

I'm a fairly fit and healthy 59 year old male with no underlying health conditions. Maybe it affects other less fit and less healthy people with certain underlying health conditions slightly differently? But then the same can be said for a cold or flu virus.

Completely wrong of you to assume it'll affect everyone who catches it the same. Appreciate you're not preaching but neither should you assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Stopped reading at lockdown.

COVID is like flu, measles, chicken pox, epilepsy, polio..........it effects people differently.......the vast vast majority it has no lasting effects
    Totally agree with you that the majority get a mild dose with no lasting effects. Even though I am feeling like crap at the moment I believe/hope that there will be no lasting effects. The point I was making is that the effect on the person can be much nastier while the symptoms last than say with a common cold.

Quote Originally Posted by troodee1893 View Post
    Totally agree with you that the majority get a mild dose with no lasting effects. Even though I am feeling like crap at the moment I believe/hope that there will be no lasting effects. The point I was making is that the effect on the person can be much nastier while the symptoms last than say with a common cold.
    I think everyone gets the same illness/dose people's bodies react differently.

1000 people fracture their skull, 4 or 5 will develop severe epilepsy.

Everyone's different.

You can't stop the world for it or anything as all it does is **** up the world.

I know you ain't a lockdown zealot but I have zero absolute zero tolerance of any kind of support for lockdown.....it's easier to stop reading rather than get embroiled in a debate that leaves me thinking their arnt many sane people.

And again I don't put you in that category but it's just easier ....I've decided that I am on the right side of history but my side has lost.

And when the mask mandate comes back in Oct, the zeal to make everyone where one will be far greater than b4.

I doubt very much " I am exempt" will suffice and you will have to produce exemption certificate on request.

Just another wee prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I've had Covid twice.

Your experience of the virus is different from both of mine Troodee. I had something akin to a mild flu / heavy cold the second time but no noticeable symptoms at all the first time. I've had flu twice in my life and those were nowhere near a flu in my case and I've also had worse colds which have left me with more significant short / mid term after effects.

I'm a fairly fit and healthy 59 year old male with no underlying health conditions. Maybe it affects other less fit and less healthy people with certain underlying health conditions slightly differently? But then the same can be said for a cold or flu virus.

Completely wrong of you to assume it'll affect everyone who catches it the same. Appreciate you're not preaching but neither should you assume.
    Agree that it affects folk differently but I think you have read my post totally wrong. I did not assume or say that it affects everyone who catches it the same. In fact reading my post again I think it is obvious that I am saying the exact opposite making sure a number of times to confirm that the majority are only mildly affected. The point I am making is that imo it is the other way round where there is an assumption in some quarters that ALL cases/symptoms are now " no worse than a common cold". My experience and that of a number of relatives/friends is that it can be worse while still being only a small minority. It seems to me that many assume there are only two scenarios. Firstly the minute number of unfortunates who get seriously ill or even die for whatever reason and the big majority who are very lightly affected. There is a small but significant number, however, where the person will recover, have no lasting affects but where the symptoms and unpleasantness felt is way more than you get with a head cold.

And when the mask mandate comes back in Oct, the zeal to make everyone where one will be far greater than b4.

I doubt very much " I am exempt" will suffice and you will have to produce exemption certificate on request.

Just another wee prediction.
    I couldn't care less what others think. I don't wear a mask and won't start to wear one if our esteemed government try to make me.

I think everyone gets the same illness/dose people's bodies react differently.

1000 people fracture their skull, 4 or 5 will develop severe epilepsy.

Everyone's different.

You can't stop the world for it or anything as all it does is **** up the world.

I know you ain't a lockdown zealot but I have zero absolute zero tolerance of any kind of support for lockdown.....it's easier to stop reading rather than get embroiled in a debate that leaves me thinking their arnt many sane people.

And again I don't put you in that category but it's just easier ....I've decided that I am on the right side of history but my side has lost.
    I actually think we are on the same page in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by troodee1893 View Post
    Agree that it affects folk differently but I think you have read my post totally wrong. I did not assume or say that it affects everyone who catches it the same. In fact reading my post again I think it is obvious that I am saying the exact opposite making sure a number of times to confirm that the majority are only mildly affected. The point I am making is that imo it is the other way round where there is an assumption in some quarters that ALL cases/symptoms are now " no worse than a common cold". My experience and that of a number of relatives/friends is that it can be worse while still being only a small minority. It seems to me that many assume there are only two scenarios. Firstly the minute number of unfortunates who get seriously ill or even die for whatever reason and the big majority who are very lightly affected. There is a small but significant number, however, where the person will recover, have no lasting affects but where the symptoms and unpleasantness felt is way more than you get with a head cold.
    Probably did read you wrong, apologies.

I suppose like anything there will be degrees from very significant to not at all significant. Like you and RRoS, and anyone else with even a modicum of common sense, I believe it's wrong of those in authority to assume the worst case for, and essentially penalise, everyone for something that will affect a tiny minority, bad though even that tiny minority is.

Lockdown when the vast, vast majority will suffer no fatal, long term or life changing effects from any cause is quite simply wrong. However when these draconian restrictions of our liberty are re-introduced this autumn I really hope people will have learned and like you, RRoS and myself will tell them to ram their pointless masks. However, I think most will meekly kow tow to their masters.

I wonder if the scientists can destroy our society and economy any more than the already have? I'm sure they'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)