+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Wimbledon

Stopped watching after my favourite player Goran Ivanisevic won as a wild card.

That can't be bettered.

Wow!

Did the tennis players invade Ukraine? Do they support the war? They don't even compete under their nationality. They compete as individuals.

Do you judge people by their skin colour too?

Which other nationalities shall we ban?

Perhaps you would support the banning of our new owners?

Treating a person based on their nationality, in sport or any aspect of life, is bigoted and backwards.

And don't make out you care about Ukraine. It's doubtful you know a thing about the place.

Football fans can be thick as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by GBruno View Post
    Wow!

Did the tennis players invade Ukraine? Do they support the war? They don't even compete under their nationality. They compete as individuals.

Do you judge people by their skin colour too?

Which other nationalities shall we ban?

Perhaps you would support the banning of our new owners?

Treating a person based on their nationality, in sport or any aspect of life, is bigoted and backwards.

And don't make out you care about Ukraine. It's doubtful you know a thing about the place.

Football fans can be thick as ****.
    Woah...hang on, man. That got heavy quickly. Less of the personal stuff, aye?

Hey everyone, please state your nationality so we can decide if you can be allowed on the forum or not.

Also we need to talk about which nationalities Newcastle should not sign.

What do we reckon guys?

No of course, it would be unacceptable.

We are not our nationality.

The UK has done some horrific things in its time, as have most countries. You can't lay atrocities carried out by governments at the feet of regular citizens, including sportsmen and women.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, man but I can see TopToon's point, too.

The point behind the bans is in part, to my mind, to make Russia such a pariah that ordinary folk there have their eyes opened to what's going on or, at the very least, begin to question it-if the entire world (ish) is against us, maybe that tells us something'? Plus, Russians competing-and being feted if they win-would be pretty hard to take for Ukranians. And, if sport is an exception, what about, say, privately owned businesses-it's not their fault so should they be allowed to trade? And so it could go on, potentially eroding-to a point- the West's stand against Russia.

On the other hand, maybe there's a case for letting athletes perform under a neutral flag? I don't know. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

it's definitely an interesting debate.

But you don't need to go round calling folk thick as fuck because they don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts__Lob View Post
    This exactly. I agree with Wimbledon for banning Russian and Belarusian players. They shouldn't be able to fly the Russian flag whilst their country is committing genocide
    I agree myself.

Zip is right - the ordinary Russians, as far as we know are fed what Putin wishes to feed them - they are use to seeing their sports stars at these events, the fact they are banned is something that will get them questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    Hope I’m wrong but Raducanu looks more and more like a flash in the pan. She needs to get a top coach to see if she can find that form again.
    Murray’s just a miserable Scottish tw*t (and I’m a Jock too.).
    I'll follow, probably not watch. I think Raducanu will come good but if she is, hell of a flash

Agree about Murray.

There is a very unfunny irony here that a threat to the West results in us throwing away that which makes the West different. Individual rights.

Extraordinary times? There have been wars non stop the entire time we've been alive. It's just that the media told us we are to care about this one.

"Extraordinary times" is no excuse to abandon individual rights. Its always extraordinary times.

Collectivised thinking, seeing people as their nationality, is exactly what Russia is doing now. Why can people not see this?

I'm off.

Well. Where do you start? 😆😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The point behind the bans is in part, to my mind, to make Russia such a pariah that ordinary folk there have their eyes opened to what's going on or, at the very least, begin to question it-if the entire world (ish) is against us, maybe that tells us something'? Plus, Russians competing-and being feted if they win-would be pretty hard to take for Ukranians. And, if sport is an exception, what about, say, privately owned businesses-it's not their fault so should they be allowed to trade? And so it could go on, potentially eroding-to a point- the West's stand against Russia.

On the other hand, maybe there's a case for letting athletes perform under a neutral flag? I don't know. Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

it's definitely an interesting debate.
    it can be some can of warms here...

But it just all sounds ridiculous - let's all hate them, may be they'll open their eyes. Something like "let's all good people kill all the bad people".
    The point for it, as you say, "ordinary folk open their eyes". They won't because of propaganda. The actual result is entire world ordinary folk think that it is ok just to ban someone based on nationality. Like german restaurant not welcoming russian citizens. Germans, the irony.
    Also, was it hard to take for some Iraqi kid to see Serena and Venus Williams lifting Wimbledon plate year after year?

I see that you were trying to see some valid point in Toptoon post, so I'm not here like arguing with you, but just offering some other perspective.

P.S. Ladies tournament used to be less predicatble, but cant see Emma going to 2nd week. Iga Swiatek probably takes it

Can of worms indeed.

I honestly don't know the solution.

What I would say is that it's not about banning people based on a dislike of them or on national characteristics or any of the areas where discrimination usually resides. The bans are to make a point-in favour of a cause that is hard to argue with.

Does that make it ok?

Like I say...I don't know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)