+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith - I know my reputation is tarnished

Smith's situation is quite different, as this is his first (and probably last) big pay day. His wage of circa £1.5 million a year is that of a decent Championship striker, one who scores perhaps 10-12 goals a season. Winnall came in on £17K a week a few years ago, and although a different sort of player to Smith was that sort of striker (he got eleven for the Reds). It's fair to say that his career didn't improve after leaving Oakwell, even if his bank balance did.

Smith has a £1.5M a year deal? That almost £30,000 a week!! Not £15,000 as Millerstale mentioned. If this is true then A; it an absolutley stupid amout to offer a L1 player, B, if it is true, then Weds deserve everything financially bad that comed their way. C, as much has i hate saying it, then he was stupid to turn it down.
    Think with offered him £1.5M over 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    Smith's situation is quite different, as this is his first (and probably last) big pay day. His wage of circa £1.5 million a year is that of a decent Championship striker, one who scores perhaps 10-12 goals a season. Winnall came in on £17K a week a few years ago, and although a different sort of player to Smith was that sort of striker (he got eleven for the Reds). It's fair to say that his career didn't improve after leaving Oakwell, even if his bank balance did.

Smith has a £1.5M a year deal? That almost £30,000 a week!! Not £15,000 as Millerstale mentioned. If this is true then A; it an absolutley stupid amout to offer a L1 player, B, if it is true, then Weds deserve everything financially bad that comed their way. C, as much has i hate saying it, then he was stupid to turn it down.
    Think with offered him £1.5M over 3 years.
    The figure I've heard from various sources is that it's close to £20 000 a week, with augmentations in the event of promotion. Assuming that promotion is attained quickly - and that's a bold assumption with Moore at the helm - with add-ons and the like you're probably looking at close to £4 million, which is utterly bonkers. The reason why I believe that wage to be true is because when Winnall came to the club several years ago he was earning £17 000 a week, and that's definitely true. He'd a similar Championship pedigree to Smith (10/11 goals), so it fits. It sickened me at the time because he was getting more than Chris Wood at Leeds.

Don’t half read some shyte on here.

What complete and utter nonsense. £20k a week and you think that’s true? Give me some of what you are drinking. When Winnall joined for they were paying some of the squad over £30k a week …. Rhodes, Fletcher, Forestieri, Reach etc. and they were in the championship.

Smith has gone for £12k/£13k a week. I would imagine there is a clause this will be increased if they get promoted and he does well.

Rotherham will have been £500k shy of that over the duration. I would imagine they would have wanted a clause in there to reduce if we get relegated.

That’s roughly it.

He’s going have to earn every penny, working for their clown of a manager. I expect his confidence will be shot by Christmas because that bloke doesn’t have a clue and he’ll not have that team playing to Smiths strengths.

Now can we move on.

They’ve both gone, fans are abusing them and they’ll still be looking out for them next season then abuse them more instead of supporting our players who’s played a game on the day, that’s the fans that really **** me off
    Even Ladapo still gets it

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Grumps trust your well pal. You've not posted for a while but what you' have today highlights just that!
    I'm good Brin mate, thank you. I trust you are too buddy?

To be honest I now mainly post on Twitter. I'll always love MillersMad but it's hard to get a dynamic debate going as it moves so slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by LesHiboux View Post
    But there's also another viewpoint, Brin. Any club which wants to get promoted into the PL has to compete with the parachute clubs, who're given a fortune to spend and told not to come back until they've spent it. Chansiri had the money to take them on, but wasn't allowed to spend it. The same is true of Derby. It wasn't so much that both clubs gambled, but rather that they weren't allowed to gamble enough. Had they both been given a free hand, then they'd have bought their way out of the Championship...like the parachute clubs do. True, the Blades and Leeds did it with exceptional managers, as did Forest, but those sort of managers come around seldom. And both Leeds and Forest have fallen foul of the financial rules in the past.
    Wow! What an interesting perspective. I mean this in all sincerity mate and without any barb whatsoever, can you please square these two statements for me please, because I am struggling:

"Chansiri had the money to take them on" [they being parachute payment clubs]

Chansiri literally didnt have the funds to meet the monthly payroll [evidence within the public domain and confirmed by the EFL]

Can you please explain to me how both of the above can be true. Cheers.

Shame Smith/ile didn't read this before signing

https://www-examinerlive-co-uk.cdn.a...worst-24335104

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Shame Smith/ile didn't read this before signing

https://www-examinerlive-co-uk.cdn.a...worst-24335104
    And yet they still get away with it...Can they afford not to get up this year? Can they even afford TO get up this year.

The EFL needs to stop faffing about and get em chucked out of the league. Joke of a club. I keep saying this but clubs who are run properly within their budgets should be awarded league points at the start of the season. The pigs would soon get their house in order then if they started their season 10 or 15 points behind clubs like Accrington.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 28-06-2022 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy King of the West View Post
    Wow! What an interesting perspective. I mean this in all sincerity mate and without any barb whatsoever, can you please square these two statements for me please, because I am struggling:

"Chansiri had the money to take them on" [they being parachute payment clubs]

Chansiri literally didnt have the funds to meet the monthly payroll [evidence within the public domain and confirmed by the EFL]

Can you please explain to me how both of the above can be true. Cheers.
    What I meant was that if you're going to gamble then you do it full-bloodedly, as Wolves did. Chansiri half-heartedly gambled, mindful of FFP, and ultimately failed.

How much money a non-parachute club posseses is irrelevant, as it can only spend what its turnover allows. This is why Chansiri increased ticket prices so much, and invented taxi firms, to increase the size of the turnover so he could spend more of his money. But for FFP he'd probably have spent much more in a shorter space of time and built a team strong enough to go up. In other words he'd have bought his way out of the Championship.

His argument would be that there was no difference between his money and the parachute cash the relegated teams are gifted, save for the fact that they can spend their cash how they like, regardless of turnover. That was pretty much Martin Samuel's argument too.

The money was never all Chansiri's anyway, as it also came from his family. Their input stopped when Chansiri failed, which is why he latterly struggled to meet his financial commitments. I don't blame them.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Don’t half read some shyte on here.

What complete and utter nonsense. £20k a week and you think that’s true? Give me some of what you are drinking. When Winnall joined for they were paying some of the squad over £30k a week …. Rhodes, Fletcher, Forestieri, Reach etc. and they were in the championship.

Smith has gone for £12k/£13k a week. I would imagine there is a clause this will be increased if they get promoted and he does well.

Rotherham will have been £500k shy of that over the duration. I would imagine they would have wanted a clause in there to reduce if we get relegated.

That’s roughly it.

He’s going have to earn every penny, working for their clown of a manager. I expect his confidence will be shot by Christmas because that bloke doesn’t have a clue and he’ll not have that team playing to Smiths strengths.

Now can we move on.
    Don't shoot the messenger! To be fair, I didn't say that he's on 20K, I said close on. The high ****s. Wednesday's current strikers are earning similar amounts too, based on what I've heard, which is another reason why I tend to believe it.

Since Chansiri has been at the club the forwards have been very well paid relative to the rest of the squad, and that's where most of his cash has been spent. It's also a reason for the club's relegation, in the sense that after the forwards departed what was left wasn't up to much.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast