+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith - I know my reputation is tarnished

Smith - I know my reputation is tarnished

Speaking to the Advertiser after his move to Sheffield Wednesday, former striker Michael Smith speaks out. - External Link

Well said Michael. I won’t boo him if he returns to NYS. Then again, booing someone just spurs them on anyway.

Can’t say I wish him well at Wednesday but I have respect for what he did for us and his parting comments!!

The lad knows how most Millers are upset about him signing for Weds and that is the main crux, he signed for the pigs. Had it been Norwich, Watford or Boro there wouldn't have been as much vitriolic abuse on his twitter account or bad things being said about him overall.

If he was moving from our 'factory' to another 'factory' nowt would be said at all but, because it's football and involves the pigs you'd have thought he'd trashed the Chairmans Porsche before he drove off way some have reacted over his move.

As far as i'm concerned, he's always been open and honest about who offered to pay him most he'd sign for and why not? He has a family to look after.

He can sign for anyone even Wednesday who he did and I’d be disappointed, ok maybe more disappointed with it being Wednesday but it’s the way it was done that pissed me off, from where I’m looking Warney was stabbed in back.

Still I won’t boo him either but I’d thank him for his service but won’t wish him well
    Last edited by millertop; 26-06-2022 at 06:59 PM.

Realistic appraisal from Michael. He basked in the adoration of Millers fans when scoring against Wednesday and knows very well the rivalry and intense dislike for all things piggy. He went into the move with his eyes open and recognises that his image and memory will be tarnished for many. His decision, end of

..........but he didn't say.....''Look guys,I went for the money. I'm 30 and have earn't relatively very little so far in a long career and have to make sure that this,my final deal of any consequence, fully capitalises on that long term effort.Wednesday won a bidding war but that does not alter the respect I have for RUFC for believing in me,coaching me and,above all,inspiring me to become the player that I'am today''.
    Now that would be impressive.Don't get me wrong,nearly everyone would do the same ,including me.Smith is a 'Geordie',he is not a Rotherham or a Wednesday fan and in 5 years time he will be back living in the North East supporting Newcastle and hating Sunderland and.....to be quite blunt,not giving 2 f**ks how the Millers or the Owls are doing what so ever!

Michael who? he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    ..........but he didn't say.....''Look guys,I went for the money. I'm 30 and have earn't relatively very little so far in a long career and have to make sure that this,my final deal of any consequence, fully capitalises on that long term effort.Wednesday won a bidding war but that does not alter the respect I have for RUFC for believing in me,coaching me and,above all,inspiring me to become the player that I'am today''.
    Now that would be impressive.Don't get me wrong,nearly everyone would do the same ,including me.Smith is a 'Geordie',he is not a Rotherham or a Wednesday fan and in 5 years time he will be back living in the North East supporting Newcastle and hating Sunderland and.....to be quite blunt,not giving 2 f**ks how the Millers or the Owls are doing what so ever!
    That's not necessarily true. Many players retain a fond and lasting affection for a particular club they have played for in the past and often revisit after their playing careers have finished. Dave Watson, for example, enjoyed an illustrious career after leaving our club but later stated that both himself and his wife agreed that the happiest time of their lives was when they were at Rotherham. Scott Minto also has great regard for the club and often returns. There are many many others.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Michael who? he's gone.
    Typical footballer, all me, me, me

A reputation well and truly smudged

Absolutely get the financial security for his family, assuming the wendies don’t go bust. Can even accept where he has gone, once ‘the dust has settled’ but I can’t accept the way it appears RUFC were played and used to get Smith an even better deal.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast