+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Update

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Add to that we were 15 seconds away from a play-off final.

But of course, let's not mention that because it makes it sound we were closer than most seem to want to admit. Then, most say, 'We wouldn't have had a chance in the final'. Sadly, we will never know, but one thing is clear, we weren't that far off.
    We would have been given a bye in the semi-final against Wrexham????????
    Crikey.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    We would have been given a bye in the semi-final against Wrexham????????
    Crikey.
    If we had won that QF against Grimsby, I'd have taken it, of course but to say it would have been massively undeserved, would have been an understatement. For once, the team who deserved it the most, got promo through the PO's, IMHAHO.
    Last edited by countygump; 29-07-2022 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    If we had won that QF against Grimsby, I'd have taken it, of course but to say it would have been massively undeserved, would have been an understatement. For once, the team who deserved it the most, got promo through the PO's, IMHAHO.
    I've never seen the phrase "massively undeserved" or similar being classed as an understatement ever before lol.

They were deserved winners, they were better than us but they weren't ******* Brazil, they didn't hammer us or test Slocombe that often they were just worthy winners. No need to go overboard Gumpy.

Didn't see the final so can't comment but they deserved both the victory at Notts and Wrexham.

Depends how you look at it.

Play off wise yes Grimsby did the business in the pressure games.

Wrexham however did finish 4 places above them.

We do all know the rules at the start of the season so cant moan even if you could finish 15-20 points clear of someone.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

We do all know the rules at the start of the season so cant moan even if you could finish 15-20 points clear of someone.
    I believe in the Italian second tier, the playoffs are the same as ours regarding quarter-finals, semi-finals etc, but if one of the one off games ends in a draw after 90 minutes, the team who finished higher in the league goes through, which I guess would stop scenarios as seen with grimsby's run, although I'm pretty sure I prefer the playoff system as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

I think what the play off game showed is that we need to change our tactics a little. Under IB it was total possession all the time which requires players to be 100% at it technically and if nerves get the better of you it looks messy and it did, when you mix it up, few diagonals, clipping it over the top it takes away that constant trying to be perfect with neat passes through the thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I think what the play off game showed is that we need to change our tactics a little. Under IB it was total possession all the time which requires players to be 100% at it technically and if nerves get the better of you it looks messy and it did, when you mix it up, few diagonals, clipping it over the top it takes away that constant trying to be perfect with neat passes through the thirds.
    I partially agree we need to mix it up in all games being honest.

Wrexham were very very direct though and it didnt work.

Its huge pressure and most important you need to defend well in that game against Grimsby they made our defenders look like Maldini 😂

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I've never seen the phrase "massively undeserved" or similar being classed as an understatement ever before lol.

They were deserved winners, they were better than us but they weren't ******* Brazil, they didn't hammer us or test Slocombe that often they were just worthy winners. No need to go overboard Gumpy.

Didn't see the final so can't comment but they deserved both the victory at Notts and Wrexham.
    If Grimsby had converted all of their chances and we had converted all of ours, they'd have beaten us 5-1.
    Last edited by countygump; 29-07-2022 at 03:38 PM.

If ifs and but's were beer and nuts, we'd have a hell of a party.

If Grimsby had converted all of their chances and we had converted all of ours, they'd have beaten us 5-1.
    That's not an if that's an IF.

IF they could have delivered a decent cross into the box and converted them it could have been 10!

They fully deserved to win, no more less. Not that it matters now obviously.

How many times was Slocombe called into action? How many times did he produce a fine save to prevent a goal? They just couldn't hit the target or deliver quality into the box.

But they out battled us, they out worked us, although we had two disruptive injuries early doors we can have absolutely no complaints.

P.S. We definitely had more than one chance in the 120 mins Gump. Not that I recommend you re-watch the game. We should be looking forward not back

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast