+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer made for Greg Olley should be a Notts player by the end of the week

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    We could be offering the proceeds from sales of our other players?
    What like the whole squad you mean ??

We're about to sign G.Olley ? Gosh !

One more signing from a league lower and I'm not renewing my season ticket. Gateshead were not going to jump into the EFL. One or two players sure but we actually need players from the current league and some from above also

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    One more signing from a league lower and I'm not renewing my season ticket. Gateshead were not going to jump into the EFL. One or two players sure but we actually need players from the current league and some from above also
    Interesting. Now, I have no idea how good the 3 players we sign/linked with from Gateshead. However, all 3 were a part of a championship winning team that wracked up 99 goals and 94 points.
    We have a number of players that could play in higher levels, yet we finished 5th. Yet if Cal, Ruben and Kyle Cameron were all signed by Hartlepool for example, do you think there fans would be disappointed? Let’s be honest all 3 haven’t got a reputation from anywhere but the NL.
    Oh I nearly forgot. Gateshead are in the same League as us.

One more signing from a league lower and I'm not renewing my season ticket.
    There must be a downside I'm not seeing!

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Interesting. Now, I have no idea how good the 3 players we sign/linked with from Gateshead. However, all 3 were a part of a championship winning team that wracked up 99 goals and 94 points.
    We have a number of players that could play in higher levels, yet we finished 5th. Yet if Cal, Ruben and Kyle Cameron were all signed by Hartlepool for example, do you think there fans would be disappointed? Let’s be honest all 3 haven’t got a reputation from anywhere but the NL.
    Oh I nearly forgot. Gateshead are in the same League as us.
    When keeping the majority of the munto squad, how well did we do in league 1?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    There must be a downside I'm not seeing!
    I know of quite a few who are a little nervous about going for players ripping it up in a mainly semi professional league, I'm not the only one

I know of quite a few who are a little nervous about going for players ripping it up in a mainly semi professional league, I'm not the only one
    There's a risk with any signing from a lower league that they might not make the leap, but actually the biggest risk and cause of our decline in recent years has been the recruitment of 'name' or in some cases 'no-name' players who had played at a higher level. I'd much rather recruit the hungry, improving talent from the National League environment, who want to move onwards and upwards as much as we do, rather than saddle ourselves with too many players whose careers are on a downwards trajectory. Obviously there are exceptions to both rules, but generally speaking I think the best value is to be found by signing the potential diamonds of the future and polishing them up.

When keeping the majority of the munto squad, how well did we do in league 1?
    Schmeichel, Moloney, Jackson, Ritchie, Rodgers and most importantly Cotterill didn’t go to league 1, and that’s just off the top of my head.
    However, how is that comparison relevant? How many of that squad were from a lower league when they signed for us? Westcarr is the only one I can think of. So if anything you’ve unstitched your own argument!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 28-06-2022 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Another Gateshead player...Jesus they will hate the sight of us if this happens
    Why don't Notts just relocate to Gateshead?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast