+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Offer made for Greg Olley should be a Notts player by the end of the week

I am happy with the players signed from the lower league. It's not as if we have just filled the squad, but we have taken what appear to be the best players.

We would probably agree that we have some players who could slot into L2 - in the same way there are players in NLN who will slot into our league. We have got some of the best.

Good plan I think to take players in pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Why can’t we turn up and pass teams off the park? People go on about we are not Man City, but we are also not playing against the teams they do.
    I would like to see a mixed style of play. Particularly if, as expected, we are more pacy and mobile in forward areas.
    I can’t recall too often where opposition players were out tackling us. Did we get over ran at times? Yes. Is that due to players not being physical? No. It was down to the fact we often over committed going forward, a loose pass would then put us in the ****. It’s easy for teams to stay in shape if all they do is dump the ball in the final third relentlessly. I really don’t want to watch that, it’s boring as sin. But, I also don’t want us to be gung ho.
    I feel tactically we got it wrong. Some of the players that have been written off, like Vinny and Ed, might just excel with a different head coach.
    I agree with the most part. However even Man City have a ‘kicker.’
    I watched them play Villa last season. Fernandinho played no part in an attacking sense but as soon as they lost the ball he was on it. Either win the ball back or concede a foul. That’s all he did. Henderson is similar at Liverpool.
    I don’t think it has to be a tough tackler as such, just someone with a phenomenal work rate and knows where to be when it gets turned over. We may already have that person in our ranks.
    Using a Premier League comparison I would say we were more like Arsenal, last season.

NCM is back to its best. Thank you preseason, thank you.

I would still like another CM who can get up and down plus put a tackle in. My Dad and I thought we might get one in on loan instead of permanent plus GB has played midfield as well so could do the odd stint. Really though Vincent would be good in this role and he might get better as time goes on. I'm not convinced about Francis still. JOB I always like but doesn't have the engine to play alot in that position anymore. As regards to Man City they do have someone in that position either (was)Fernandinho, Rodri and now Philips to protect the back line. We could do with another wing back and for me another GK is a must. Slocombe is mostly good but think we can get better at this level as thought Patterson was an improvement. Maybe another loan there as well as long as he doesn't go back and forth all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfists View Post
    I would still like another CM who can get up and down plus put a tackle in. My Dad and I thought we might get one in on loan instead of permanent plus GB has played midfield as well so could do the odd stint. Really though Vincent would be good in this role and he might get better as time goes on. I'm not convinced about Francis still. JOB I always like but doesn't have the engine to play alot in that position anymore. As regards to Man City they do have someone in that position either (was)Fernandinho, Rodri and now Philips to protect the back line. We could do with another wing back and for me another GK is a must. Slocombe is mostly good but think we can get better at this level as thought Patterson was an improvement. Maybe another loan there as well as long as he doesn't go back and forth all the time.
    Totally agree with all that. I think we need a CM, basically another Yates, doesn’t need to be a bruiser, just a nuisance, which we don’t have. There’s probably an argument that Vincent could be that player with his energy as technically he’s good but not brilliant but I could actually see him playing that role if he concentrated on it else I think we need to find one.
    As for Slocombe I think he took a bit of unfair stick start of last season, then he was playing second fiddle to 2 young keepers and tbf showed the character to get back in the side. Obviously if we can find another Patterson great as he’s looking like the No1 for a championship side now but if not I’m more than happy with Slocombe and actually thought he was pretty decent last season with the ball at his feet, I thought better than Jaros.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Totally agree with all that. I think we need a CM, basically another Yates, doesn’t need to be a bruiser, just a nuisance, which we don’t have. There’s probably an argument that Vincent could be that player with his energy as technically he’s good but not brilliant but I could actually see him playing that role if he concentrated on it else I think we need to find one.
    As for Slocombe I think he took a bit of unfair stick start of last season, then he was playing second fiddle to 2 young keepers and tbf showed the character to get back in the side. Obviously if we can find another Patterson great as he’s looking like the No1 for a championship side now but if not I’m more than happy with Slocombe and actually thought he was pretty decent last season with the ball at his feet, I thought better than Jaros.
    I like Vincent, was like a terrier harrassing players until they made mistakes and he'd come away with the ball. Had some real good vision and passing ability also. No idea why he wasn't used towards the end of the season. Also agree re Slocombe, Jaros felt like a panic loan just to not play Slocombe and that lost us some points and gained me more grey hair!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    I like Vincent, was like a terrier harrassing players until they made mistakes and he'd come away with the ball. Had some real good vision and passing ability also. No idea why he wasn't used towards the end of the season. Also agree re Slocombe, Jaros felt like a panic loan just to not play Slocombe and that lost us some points and gained me more grey hair!
    That was Burchnall for you..

Luckily him this huge error didn't stop him being headhunted by a League One side . The lucky s0d

Let's see how Vinny under LW compares to Vinny under IB.

I think he was good at harassing but never seemed to win the ball which was probably the same for all Nott’s midfield, Palmers the same, works incredibly hard and jockeys players but none of them seem to get that toe poke in or tactical foul and I think that’s what we need. There’s no reason Vincent can’t do it but he would need to be moulded into that player, by his own admission I think he said he has a bit of everything which sometimes is fine but a lot of the time a player needs a specific role to home in on.

Yeah, Jaros was a weird signing. I could understand Patterson as we just had Brooks available at the time and then he excelled but Slocombe was done dirty with the Jaros signing. He's a decent keeper, and will certainly help bring on Brooks if he has the potential to fit in as a future number 1

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast