+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First team coach departs

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I'm spotting a trend. Just like with our former Head Coach, NCM doesnt rate 'em but clubs in the Football League and Premier League do lol
    It is slightly baffling. At some point someone will be proven right or wrong, but I’m struggling to see what either Burchnall or Clapham are supposed to have done to warrant such significant promotions tbh.

Maybe they are far more analytical and importanly more qualified than us fans to judge (football) talent. If I was either Burchnall or Clapham I wouldn't even think about it, the proof is in the promotion.

Maybe they are far more analytical and importanly more qualified than us fans to judge (football) talent. If I was either Burchnall or Clapham I wouldn't even think about it, the proof is in the promotion.
    Are you their agent by any chance. John Sheridan is a serial crap manager, but he keeps getting jobs...

It’s funny isn’t it, everyone’s done quite well out of last season seemingly apart from Notts. Half the team linked to higher levels, the manager and his assistant getting a two division jump, the set piece coach in the Prem. Yet we never looked like troubling the promotion that was our clear aim at the start of it. Football, eh?

Yeah it's a little bit of black humour and it's better to laugh than cry. Those two have done very well, as has a few of the players.

But you can't take away that a FL chairman and board wanted our tippy tappy PE teacher, and a very established Premier League club wants our recently maligned set pieces coach.

Maybe they just know more than us supporters, crazy but true.

Yeah it's a little bit of black humour and it's better to laugh than cry. Those two have done very well, as has a few of the players.

But you can't take away that a FL chairman and board wanted our tippy tappy PE teacher, and a very established Premier League club wants our recently maligned set pieces coach.

Maybe they just know more than us supporters, crazy but true.
    Maybe, or maybe Burchnall and Clapham have been good at creating a buzz about themselves without too much to back it up.

I was baffled by Burchnall getting his big move, but I’m even more baffled about this one. I think Clapham improved us a bit on set pieces and the stats back that up (the conceding crucial goals from them thing is mentality rather than organisation IMO), but I don’t think we were a particularly creative or interesting team from set pieces considering we had a guy doing it as (kind of, I know he did some other stuff) as a full time role.

We had that one routine where we chipped it to the far post and Cameron arrived from deep that was really successful in the first couple of months, but teams wised up to that after a while and I can’t really remember us doing many other interesting things with corners, free kicks or throw ins.

The problem is that they got promoted, while we never really looked likely to.

If they really belong a few levels higher, why did we fail?

We failed because the players didn't execute well enough what they were told/coached to do. It seems that professional football people know more than us footie fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    We failed because the players didn't execute well enough what they were told/coached to do. It seems that professional football people know more than us footie fans.
    Yup, you can lead a horse to water and all that. What we have to remember is Clapham was a part of the coaching set up. He would have had an input but ultimately it's down to the Head Coach to ensure any tactical plays agreed in training etc are executed in a game, but even then if your players aren't keeping up their end of the bargain when it matters what chance have you got?

Set piece coach is brought it to improve the number of goals we score and reduce the number of goals we concede from set pieces. He achieves both in his first season.

He then gets approached by a club in a higher division to be part of their setup. What is so hard to work out?

We all know didn't get promoted and of course that's the most important thing to us fans, we instead basically achieved parity from the previous season. No better, no worse.

We have a head coach/manager head hunted for the first time in for ever instead us having to pay them compensation. We have a backroom staff member approached and snapped up by a Premier League club, we have interest and multiple formal bids received for multiple players which again feels like a new sensation at Notts, it's been that long.

I view all of those things as progress, as positives. If you aren't doing some things right none of the above happens let alone all of it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast