+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First team coach departs

I seem to recall IB himself acknowledging that our defending from set pieces wasn't good enough last season. That was certainly my impression, punctuated by the two goals we conceded from set-pieces in the play-off quarter-final. It was certainly one of our weaknesses, along with the lack of presence in midfield.

When I look back on last season I think we played some great football at times, but ultimately we did look like a 'nice' team to play against, especially for opponents like Grimsby who carried a real physical threat. Sometimes against the better sides, particularly away from home, I got the impression that they sniggered behind their hands at some of the pretty football we were playing, often in non-threatening areas, before eventually bulldozing us out of the way.

Hopefully they replace him with another one who continues the improvement.

Was it on time?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Was it on time?
    😂

The problem we had with set pieces was we had 11 players in the box which created the pinball effect with the ball pinging all over the place as the players all got in the way. The best way to avoid this is to stick two forwards on the halfway line at corners which will mean the opposition will have to bring back 3 or 4 defenders to stop the counter attack.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    The problem we had with set pieces was we had 11 players in the box which created the pinball effect with the ball pinging all over the place as the players all got in the way. The best way to avoid this is to stick two forwards on the halfway line at corners which will mean the opposition will have to bring back 3 or 4 defenders to stop the counter attack.
    It’s much easier to score a goal with space to attack the ball. I would say that crowding the box is why our stats improved.

Your idea probably wouldn’t have worked in the 96th minute against Grimsby

I've never bought this theory. I'd adopt that approach when losing or drawing a game in the last 20 mins only.

Fair play to Clapham, got himself the same gig at Southampton. Can only guess they didn’t watch the play-offs!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Fair play to Clapham, got himself the same gig at Southampton. Can only guess they didn’t watch the play-offs!
    I'm spotting a trend. Just like with our former Head Coach, NCM doesnt rate 'em but clubs in the Football League and Premier League do lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast