+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The reality of this season - Trust the plan

The reality of this season - Trust the plan

The core of our promotion team has gone, PW knew this during the season he spoke about it a few times. This is a rebuilding period; we have new Central defence and a new Forward line. At the moment we still might lose one of our keepers and the best all round footballer at the club. We have a winger that the management will want to keep just to minimise the disruption however from a financial view it is better to sell now and replace. The Championship is far harder this time than in the last two times we were there, the chances are we will get relegated and likely not in an attractive way. PW stated in his interview last week that he thinks if we don't stay up he won't be the manager next season. Now for the good news.... Our club is especially well run, it has the heart of the town at its core and people there that want to be together and want to succeed, the football world speaks well of us and that helps in getting loan players in. I have never got my head around why a town with over 400,000 people in the area can never get 10,000 in week-in and week-out and perhaps the club could look at other options to achieve that. However, we are what we are and we are where we are. If we stay up this season it will be a miracle and a piece of football management genius, pep and Klopp would struggle under those circumstances and they are quite good. For me we need an experienced mature CB that commands the defence, we need a holding midfielder that tackles and passes to someone else, cleans up the mess and we need pace wide, which could come from young premier league loans. We also need to have money available for January where we can refresh and ignite the team with two or three players for the final push. What I have heard from Warne, Stewart and Scott makes me glad we have them, doing the jobs that they do, it gives us a chance to achieve the biggest footballing miracle that we will have seen as Rotherham fans, even bigger than that excellent season under Robins where we went from -17 points. I know I have criticised Warne and his management team, they like all of us are flawed and yes, I will have my rants in the season as most of us will, but I will always support Rotherham United, like my dad did and my grandad did Trust the plan

Both Moore and Evans kept Rotherham in the championship. What was the secret to their successes?
    Moore probably operated on an even smaller budget than now.
    Evans just seemed to spend spend spend.
    Were they better managers?
    Were they better motivators of men?
    Were they better tacticians?

I have a lot of respect for Warne but maybe he needs to stop being so nice because I imagine both Moore and Evans blew gaskets occasionally.
    I think sometimes players need a rocket up their backsides

Quote Originally Posted by Karl998yr View Post
    Both Moore and Evans kept Rotherham in the championship. What was the secret to their successes?

I have a lot of respect for Warne but maybe he needs to stop being so nice because I imagine both Moore and Evans blew gaskets occasionally.
    You don’t think that Warne ‘blows gaskets? Listen to the upcoming podcast, or even just the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbymiller View Post
    I have never got my head around why a town with over 400,000 people in the area can never get 10,000 in week-in and week-out and perhaps the club could look at other options to achieve that.
    While I completely agree with your point that our crowds should be a lot bigger than what they are for the size of the town, you're massively over egging the population. The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham has a population of around 265,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    You don’t think that Warne ‘blows gaskets? Listen to the upcoming podcast, or even just the trailer.
    Which isn't live and will be edited to fit

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    While I completely agree with your point that our crowds should be a lot bigger than what they are for the size of the town, you're massively over egging the population. The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham has a population of around 265,000.
    I think Derby was including some fringe pigs and tyke fans seeing how they are both now in league 1. 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    That's the number based on census returns, council tax payers etc

The number is probably a lot higher than 265k

While Moore had a smaller budget than everyone else and performed a miracle to keep us up, there wasn't the money around then that there is now. The financial gap was there but not at the extremes that is now.

As for Evans, would he have kept us up if he wasn't able to bring in a loan player nearly every week throughout the season as he often did? I'm not sure he would. He's achieved very little in management since the rules changed to stop that.

Obviously it's hypothetical, but in my opinion if our games had been spread out evenly rather than us having to play the last quarter of the season in a month then I'm pretty convinced we'd have picked up the extra couple of points needed to stay up. While tactical errors were made, I think the relentless run of games are what did for us in the end. But of course, we'll never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Which isn't live and will be edited to fit
    Are you suggesting the rants are faked to make it more entertaining?

I think Warney might have realised that you can be too nice and he will be ready for the championship and keep us up this time

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast