+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The reality of this season - Trust the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    While I completely agree with your point that our crowds should be a lot bigger than what they are for the size of the town, you're massively over egging the population. The Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham has a population of around 265,000.
    There are too many areas in Rotherham that are Sheffield wannabes. I'm forever arguing with pig fans at work that Aston is in Rotherham! Similar thing in Thorpe Hesley.... they can't see past a Sheffield STD code and postcode. Aston/Swallownest is awash with pigs!

We'd have to get in the Prem while the pigs are languishing in L1 to have any chance of a sea change in attitudes......

.......that's today's daydreams sorted

Are you suggesting the rants are faked to make it more entertaining?
    No idea yet, haven't heard it.

However it is easy to edit recorded stuff to suit the overall picture you want to give.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    No idea yet, haven't heard it.

However it is easy to edit recorded stuff to suit the overall picture you want to give.
    But you said 'it will be edited to fit'?

Even when you've heard it you'd never know as you weren't there?

I predict if it confirms your preconceptions about Paul Warne you'll think it's real, and if it undermines them, you'll think it's been edited.

I predict if it confirms your preconceptions about Paul Warne you'll think it's real, and if it undermines them, you'll think it's been edited.
    Name:  tumblr_b0603fc6e5862e14e9d6489e70ced682_861a82b3_250.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  6.8 KB

Everything that’s not live gets edited

I think you're probably right given the relentless sameness of the comments about Warne being too nice. It's a perception that some people cling to and then roll out when things aren't going well.
    I may be wrong but I have the impression that a lot of posters on here have never been managers in whatever careers they had because they clearly don't understand the complexities of private actions and public output.

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank View Post
    There are too many areas in Rotherham that are Sheffield wannabes. I'm forever arguing with pig fans at work that Aston is in Rotherham! Similar thing in Thorpe Hesley.... they can't see past a Sheffield STD code and postcode. Aston/Swallownest is awash with pigs!

We'd have to get in the Prem while the pigs are languishing in L1 to have any chance of a sea change in attitudes......

.......that's today's daydreams sorted
    This is a sad truth and follows decades of the town essentially "promoting" itself as a suburb of Sheffield. There has always been a real apathy about the town that filters down from the top echelons of the local authorities that are supposed to run the place. This attitude has sadly spilled into football too and is one of the reasons such odious entities like the Rotherham Owls exist.

There was always a rumour that Rotherham and Sheffield Council had some sort of backhanded agreement that Rotherham would essentially never implement any structure that would "challenge" Sheffield's alleged superiority. Maybe someone on here who is in the know could elaborate on if there is any truth to that. But the decline of the town centre would be one example of this, as you only have to look at Barnsley town centre and how that is thriving to see what Rotherham could achieve if anybody in charge actually gave a toss.

Back to Football. All of the above and the fact that, historically at least, the two Sheffield clubs have had more success has meant that Rotherham has always had a determined fan base of die hard fans and very little else. The only new fans we attract are arguably new family generations of older fans passing the love for RUFC on. Playing at Millmoor (and then god forbid Don Valley) didn't do a great deal for us in attracting the more casual fan base or prompting a young newcomer to football to pick us over a Sheffield club or some glory hunting Premiership outfit.

BUT

Now is our real chance to turn this around. July marks 10 years at NYS, a ground to be proud of. Hosting the ladies Euros and England youth games shows how well thought of it is as a venue. We are back in the Championship with a manager who is highly thought of not just in the town but throughout football. If we can survive this season and build towards a steady Championship position then we can finally start to push to new generations of fans that RUFC is the team to support, not the debt ridden sinking ship neighbours of ours playing their games in a crumbling relic of a stadium. If the club can really make the town proud we can start to shake off some of the negative shackles of our past and maybe even convince the council that we are not a suburb of any other place.

Or maybe I need to wake up and stop the daydreaming too!

I think you're missing my point

When a podcast is live it's warts and all

If it's snippets recorded over a period of time the broadcaster can cut and paste the raw recordings to tell a particular story. For example the BBC could keep all the bits saying " I love coffee" and leave out the " I hate coffee" comments. It would then lead the listener into thinking the person loves coffee.

Some people have a fixed mindset about Paul Warne, nothing he does, including this podcast will change that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast