+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-season

Pre-season

Quite a few red shirts around Nantwich today.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Quite a few red shirts around Nantwich today.

Yes I heard there was a punch up in the white horse

More importantly, anyone know the result, team, how any one played?

3-0 - 10 changes at half time. First Half Richards, Mellor, Sass-Davies, R McDonald, Billington, Griffiths, Uwakwe - playing midfield and not wide!, Chris Sang (Trialist), Long (c), CB-R, Adam Wilson (Trialist). Early og from a cross by Mellor, who looked liked he'd never been away at RB, Wilson tap in just before half time, Richards made 2 good early saves, one from Joe Robbins!

Played with decent shape in 1st half (Thomas and Colkett slight training niggles so saved for Tuesday, though TBH I think most of us assumed Sang was Colkett!) We had most of the ball, Billy sass and McDonald were quite a commanding pair, Tariq Uwakwe played well as a left footed CM, Long was lively, after an early scare when he was fouled.

Second half a lot of kids came on - XI was Booth, K McDonald (Trialist), O'Riordan, Offord (c), C Finney, Holicek, Lunt Jnr, Ainley (playing the No 10 role Sang did 1st half), Agyei, Sambou, and surprisingly Sang still there, playing wide left, who did the whole 90 minutes. Not sure what to make of that. He was always looking to receive a pass, making himself available, without a great deal of product. We lost shape in the 2nd half as did Nantwich with a number of subs, so it was less of a real game, though we had 2 good chances. Apparently they brought Shaun Miller on at half time, but I never noticed him! We got a late 3rd when their sub keeper stupidly fouled Sambou. He took the pen himself, with an awful stuttering run up, which naturally led to the keeper saving it, but luckily for him hammered in th4e rebound. I don't want to see him take a pen when it matters!

Wilson looked lively wide right in the first half (just released by Newcastle Utd) . The Trialist RB was the opposite side from me second half but looked steady. The kids in centre mid as AM said did OK on the ball but got a bit lost at times. Tom Booth never really had a save to make, but was quite vocal.

Not a bad outing. Attendance 1216 (with far too few turnstiles).

Thinking about it, interesting in view of the rumours, that Finney Snr, who appears in a lot of the Reaseheath pictures from this week, did not appear, nor did AM mention him in explaining the absences of Thomas & Colkett.

I like AM saying after the game they'd told players not to take it easy, anyone losing the ball had 10 seconds to recover it or they had a run to do at ht or the end! They were pleased they had to assign fewer runs than they'd anticipated.

2-1 defeat to Macclesfield, tonight. Billy Sass the captain and most senior player in the team. 4 triallists started and Sands appeared again. Don't know who the triallists were.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    2-1 defeat to Macclesfield, tonight. Billy Sass the captain and most senior player in the team. 4 triallists started and Sands appeared again. Don't know who the triallists were.

A worrying and disappointing result from a team that contained some players Morris thinks will need to be part of the first team this season think again !!!!! Get on with the recruitment another 4 or 5 probably required.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    A worrying and disappointing result from a team that contained some players Morris thinks will need to be part of the first team this season think again !!!!! Get on with the recruitment another 4 or 5 probably required.
    A number of trialists, a number of very inexperienced players and a team that will in no way resemble the starting line up for our first league match of the season. So, no stress, no problem. One or two more needed and indeed expected but I don't expect many more

Looking at the lineups, I can see only B Sass Davies as a regular starter, and O Riordan as a back up player. Can’t see anyone else that Morris thinks would be part of the first team. But, never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Looking at the lineups, I can see only B Sass Davies as a regular starter, and O Riordan as a back up player. Can’t see anyone else that Morris thinks would be part of the first team. But, never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.
    My thoughts exactly. We have a rough idea of probably 7 or 8 of the starters for next season and as Offord has been named captain we can assume he is going to be in. Long will also be a starter as will, in all probability, Williams and McDonald. The two new midfield guys as well so last nights team that lost to Macc is a million miles away from the team we will see on July 30th

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast