+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Andy Goram....RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Perhaps some people like alcohol Mick as many families in France and Spain love a glass of wine with dinner. Bit like many value universities and my kids wouldn’t be in top jobs without having been there.

That said - you never know I could in the future pop to my local and just drink earl grey tea with a bag of knitting 🧶

Each to their own. I would rather die like Goram at 58 having had a great life as opposed to living past 80 like a shell or worse in a care home.
    There’s nothing wrong with “liking a drink”, there’s nothing wrong with a glass of wine a day with a meal.

You seem happy to equate that analogy alongside someone like Goram who was a serious, long term alcoholic.

So if your son for example, was a two or three bottle of spirits a day man like a chap I knew was who died last year at 51 from liver cancer was you’d be okay with that as long as he was “happy”....?

I don’t believe that for a moment.

And what on earth have universities and “top jobs” got to do with this subject?
    Last edited by mickd1961; 03-07-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    There’s nothing wrong with “liking a drink”, there’s nothing wrong with a glass of wine a day with a meal.

You seem happy to equate that analogy alongside someone like Goram who was a serious, long term alcoholic.

So if your son for example, was a two or three bottle of spirits a day man like a chap I knew was who died last year at 51 from liver cancer was you’d be okay with that as long as he was “happy”....?

I don’t believe that for a moment.

And what on earth have universities and “top jobs” got to do with this subject?

Being an alcoholic I agree is as bad as gambling or taking drugs. Once the addition takes a grip there’s no turning back!

Unless you can show me otherwise whilst Goram may have been an alcoholic this does not mean it was linked to his cancer. Plenty die of this cancer who don’t drink or smoke. That’s my point.

Being an alcoholic I agree is as bad as gambling or taking drugs. Once the addition takes a grip there’s no turning back!

Unless you can show me otherwise whilst Goram may have been an alcoholic this does not mean it was linked to his cancer. Plenty die of this cancer who don’t drink or smoke. That’s my point.
    And plenty do.

It’s a medical fact that if you drink or smoke, especially to excess then you “increase” your chances of getting cancer.

That is indisputable.

If you keep eating and don't exercise...you MAY very well die of obesity related illness...you may not but you increase the chances....
    If you drink alcohol and don't exercise you risk storing chemicals in your tissue that can later play a big part in cancer cells developing...same with smokes......they reduce the chances of avoiding these illnesses......but you could of course get flattened by a truck while out running, while attempting to be healthy......

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    If you keep eating and don't exercise...you MAY very well die of obesity related illness...you may not but you increase the chances....
    If you drink alcohol and don't exercise you risk storing chemicals in your tissue that can later play a big part in cancer cells developing...same with smokes......they reduce the chances of avoiding these illnesses......but you could of course get flattened by a truck while out running, while attempting to be healthy......

That’s a good post and just the point. Everyone is different - I would rather enjoy life and eat and drink well plus take nice holidays or for me - what’s the point!

Drinking alcohol in moderation can alleviate stress and depression plus red wine can actually be good for you.

Andy Goram might be looking down thinking - I enjoyed my life to the full. Who knows! When I was a travel rep in Benidorm I saw plenty of Saga age customers drinking and being merry and judging by some sneaking out of rooms - still having a good old time 😎. Good on them.

That’s a good post and just the point. Everyone is different - I would rather enjoy life and eat and drink well plus take nice holidays or for me - what’s the point!

Drinking alcohol in moderation can alleviate stress and depression plus red wine can actually be good for you.

Andy Goram might be looking down thinking - I enjoyed my life to the full. Who knows! When I was a travel rep in Benidorm I saw plenty of Saga age customers drinking and being merry and judging by some sneaking out of rooms - still having a good old time 😎. Good on them.
    Good post mate.

And alcohol and university - what a good combination. 😎😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)